IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I've got the ProPaddles2 and they won't work with Super Breakout, Breakout or StreetRacer. I've installed the Stella6 Firmware update. Is there any way to make them work in the right way? With a config file or something like that?!

I wish, but the problems are with the firmware on the controller board. For now, the best option is to buy a USB 2600 adapter and an OTG cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one tried hooking the retron 77 to a CRT via some sort digital to analog converter? If so does it run well?

Here's the recent Stella beta 6 release on a Sharp TV through a $10 HDMI to composite converter. Note that the picture is currently a 16x9 pillarboxed 4x3 image being squashed into 4x3, this TV has color convergence problems, and I'm using long cheap cables through a 4-1 switch on the AV, but yes the Retron works just fine. I've also not changed Stella's video defaults. Sound is good through this converter.

Non 16x9 is being worked on for a future beta.

Did you have something particular in mind?

post-47453-0-94378500-1555905976_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From what I can see, it appears as though the paddle jitter problem may be caused by noise that's being picked up by the ADC inputs of the MCU on the controller daughterboard. Said inputs appear to be directly connected to the pins of the front joystick ports.

I'm going to approach this from the hardware side.

Assuming that this 'noise' is not being generated internally by the MCU, and is not a bug in the MCU's firmware(sample size/bittedness conversion error, buffer under/overrun, etc.,) it may be due to an unstable reference voltage source.

The notes that come with the firmware source code claim that the paddle reference voltage is 5 volts, but when I probed the front ports, I never saw anything over 3.4(which I'm guessing is coming directly from the 3.3v vrm, I haven't traced it out yet,) so that seems to be a discrepancy to begin with, unless the note was referring to an original 2600 port, rather than the R77. To date I haven't had a scope connected to the R77 while paddles were connected, so I'm not certain at this point.

I'm currently all out of male db9 connectors, so I have some on order which should arrive in a couple of weeks at which point I will begin testing this hypothesis.

• Like 1

From what I can see, it appears as though the paddle jitter problem may be caused by noise that's being picked up by the ADC inputs of the MCU on the controller daughterboard. Said inputs appear to be directly connected to the pins of the front joystick ports.

The notes that come with the firmware source code claim that the paddle reference voltage is 5 volts, but when I probed the front ports, I never saw anything over 3.4

That sounds like a valid theory and I am looking forward to your results.

Could this be also the reason for the other problem, that one paddle is influencing the other one? So that one paddle drains the power of the other one? But then, why only in one direction?

That sounds like a valid theory and I am looking forward to your results.

Could this be also the reason for the other problem, that one paddle is influencing the other one? So that one paddle drains the power of the other one? But then, why only in one direction?

I don't actually think that the two problems are directly related, although that remains to be seen. I'm thinking that the ADCs are not actually physically separate circuits(in as far as that's possible) inside the MCU, and that is what is causing the interaction that we're seeing. Fixing it on Hyperkin's part might have been as simple as using different sets of inputs for the paddle lines, or it could be simply that this was not a good choice of a chip for this particular use.

One of the tests that I'll run will be to provide separate voltage reference sources for paddles in a pair, to see how that affects the noise level. Sadly, I can't use different inputs on the MCU without butchering the board or modifying the firmware, which I'm not willing to do at this time.

At most I'll power the MCU separately from the main board if my scope shows that to be potential issue, though I hope it doesn't, because I don't really want to get into that either. :P

• 2 weeks later...

It would probably suffice to test against version 1.2, since the changes from 1.1 to 1.2 were mostly added features, not many improvements to the emulation itself. But TBH, I doubt that many of those older versions will even compile on newer systems.

You can get the oldest version from https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/releases?after=release-2.0, but I don't know if it will run in current Windows; it almost certainly won't run in Linux, and the Mac version is pre-OSX (this is 17 years ago, after all).

EDIT: Version 1.1 didn't support illegal opcodes, so Thomas is right that this will rule out many newer homebrews. And while I have access to the 1.1 source, I'm not sure I have permission to release it, and it almost definitely won't compile anyway (and there was only a DOS version, I believe). That's what makes me think that if Hyperkin has a version of Stella running on newer hardware, it very likely must be a GPL'ed version.

Hi there!

I don't know if this is off-topic for this thread and I'm replying to an old post, but I've been sort of seeing what's been going on lately... But the thing is, *I* have the source code to 1.1. Looks to me like you could distribute it if you want to. Here is the license:

===============================================================================

License Information and Copyright Notice

===============================================================================

This software is copyrighted by Bradford W. Mott. The following terms

apply to all files associated with the software unless explicitly disclaimed

in individual files.

The author hereby grants permission to use, copy, and distribute this

software and its documentation for non-commerical purposes, provided

that existing copyright notices are retained in all copies and that this

notice is included verbatim in any distributions.

If you distribute this software, the entire contents of this distribution

must be distributed. The software may be modified for your own purposes,

but modified versions may NOT be distributed without prior consent from

the author.

If you would like to do something with this software that the license

prohibits (such as distributing it with a commercial product, using

portions of the source in some other program, etc.), please contact

the author.

---

In other words, you can look at the source code, you can give away the source code, you can do whatever you want except give away a modified version. I always thought that was kinda wonky. But hey, he finally GPL'd it so I was fine with that. Other than that, 1.1. wasn't just DOS, it was UNIX too. In fact I'm not so sure the first version of Stella actually ran on DOS. Do you know? Do you have access to the *first* version of Stella?

On 6/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, travistouchdown said:

What was the final verdict on this thing?  Any good?  

Or am i better of just sticking to my vader? 

I like it for the most part. My 2600 library is fairly small (around 30 games), it plays all of my games. The joystick it comes with is responsive but fragile. I actually broke it clean off today.

I love playing atari in glorious HD. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

How well does the CX 80 trak ball and Trak ball roms work?

So far I haven't had much luck. You have to use a 2600-dapter to get the Trak-balls to work at all, but even then, I've had trouble getting the physical carts to read my CX-22 properly, and (so far) not from the ROMs on the SD card at all. This could be a configuration issue, or just that it isn't fully supported yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Bonjour, j'étais venu vous voir pour mon rétro 77; mais je l'ai laissé sans le toucher.aujourd hui , je voulais l’utiliser mais il s’allume mais pas plus. Je viens te voir pour un peu d'aide pour récupérer ma pauvre petite console. Je vous remercie.

Edited by x-boy
  • Like 1