IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

• 1 month later...

I just discovered  Retron 77. How is paddle support currently with the latest version of the community build installed? I see some have had to mess around with bindings/settings to get paddles to work correctly? Is there an easier way to get them to work well? All the videos I see, there seems to be a lot of jitter (paddles not working smoothly). Is that just how paddle support is for this currently? Or are people just using bad paddles?

Also, has anybody had issues, or does anybody foresee issues, with the retro-grain stickers on the main unit, and the joysticks? I'm not a fan of stickers. They always eventually start peeling. And especially with the controller where your hand will be rubbing against the corners of the stickers all the time, I wonder how long before the sticker starts to peel at the corner and get worse form there?

About paddle support, I've been reading the thread back and it seems back on page 105 there was discussion about the paddles working well when using an adapter like the 2600-daptor, and some mention of needing to use an OTG cable. Would the 2600-daptor D9 or Retronicdesign adapters work? How would I set it up with the OTG cable? I understand the paddles are wonky if connecting to the front ports of the Retron-77. A quote from page 105:

"In short, if Stella knows that a game is paddle compatible, your paddles(both) will be as smooth or as jittery as they would be on a 'real' 2600, unlike when they are plugged into the front ports on the R77."

From what I gather, I need this:

otg-microusb-with-power.jpg

Then I'd plug the male micro-USB connector of the OTG cable to the micro-USB port of the Retron-77, the miscro-USB power supply into the female micro-USB connector of the OTG cable, and the paddle controller (plugged into a 2600-daptor D9) to the USB end of the OTG cable? Is that all I'd need to do? And If I want to connect 2 paddles I'd connect a USB hub to the USB end of the OTG cable, then plug the paddles (each plugged into a 2600-daptor D9) into the hub?

Will the Retronicdesign adapter work as well as the 2600-daptor D9? Wondering which one I should order.

Edited by fiudr

5 hours ago, fiudr said:

About paddle support, I've been reading the thread back and it seems back on page 105 there was discussion about the paddles working well when using an adapter like the 2600-daptor, and some mention of needing to use an OTG cable. Would the 2600-daptor D9 or Retronicdesign adapters work? How would I set it up with the OTG cable?

From what I gather, I need this:

otg-microusb-with-power.jpg

Then I'd plug the male micro-USB connector of the OTG cable to the micro-USB port of the Retron-77, the miscro-USB power supply into the female micro-USB connector of the OTG cable, and the paddle controller (plugged into a 2600-daptor D9) to the USB end of the OTG cable? Is that all I'd need to do? And If I want to connect 2 paddles I'd connect a USB hub to the USB end of the OTG cable, then plug the paddles (each plugged into a 2600-daptor D9) into the hub?

Yep. That's it exactly. I've tested it with two 2600-daptor's and two sets of paddles, and it does work.

5 hours ago, fiudr said:

Will the Retronicdesign adapter work as well as the 2600-daptor D9? Wondering which one I should order.

I've only used the 2600-daptor D9, so I can't speak to the other. But the D9 works.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:12 AM, alex_79 said:

I actually can't stand an unfiltered image with perfectly square pixels, it really ruins the 8-bit graphics IMO, especially if displayed on a big 50+ inch TV. Without some smoothing the individual pixels become too evident making the displayed objects less recognizeable, and the whole image look "flat" to me. That's another reason for me to not even consider getting a r77 unless the upcoming Stella 6 is ported to it.

Stella has highly configurable crt filters, scanlines and, since version 5, a new phosphor mode that better simulates phosphor persistence of a crt display. Personally, that's the only way I enjoy playing the atari 2600 on a modern TV set. An original console never looks that good on a digital TV, no matter what expensive mod and/or upscaler you get.

On a dedicated device like the r77, you have to sacrifice most of the configurability of the PC version of the emulator to keep it easy to use, but a couple of presets with different level of crt emulation in addition to the raw unfiltered image should do the job.

Here are some screenshots with example of filtered displays compared to "raw" ones (both taken in Stella 6 beta) to show what I'm talking about. (You can see the phosphor persistence effect in fast moving objects in "Galaxian" and "Super Break Out". It's really a dynamic effect that needs to be seen in action rather than on a screenshot, but it gives an idea). Note that the smoothing doesn't cause any loss in resolution: every single pixel of the Atari display is visible in the filtered images.

post-10599-0-78638400-1535709420_thumb.pngpost-10599-0-56510100-1535709428_thumb.png

post-10599-0-97190600-1535709441_thumb.pngpost-10599-0-14406200-1535709453_thumb.png

post-10599-0-24668300-1535709463_thumb.pngpost-10599-0-46675100-1535709471_thumb.png

I know this is an old post, but can we apply the scan lines and phosphor glow in the current community firmware update (beta 2)? Is it on by default? That looks pretty fantastic. I have an R77 on it's way for Christmas and I'm trying to get an idea of what I can do with it in it's current state.