IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I read earlier in the thread that the newer production run that comes with the better joystick , newer firmware and Space Invaders and Defender III also included a "California's Proposition 65" warning.

Where is that warning located? Because I just received a unit from Amazon but nowhere on the outside of the box is the Proposition 65 warning. Was it printed on the outside of the box? If so, I guess I have an older unit, which is disappointing because I thought all Amazon stock would have been switched over by now. The copyright year on the back of the  box near the UPC is 2018. Is there any way to tell by the UPC or model # if it's a newer unit? Mine says item # M07280.

Was there any hardware revisions/improvements between production runs, or just the newer firmware and the better joystick?

EDIT: I see the Proposition 65 warning on Hyperkin's webpage for the item. Is this what the poster meant when they said it's back in stock and they added a Proposition 65 warning? So then was it never printed on the box itself even in later runs?

Edited by fiudr

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened my RetroN77 (and an additional Trooper joystick) for Christmas and have a couple questions if anybody can help:

1) My unit does not sit flat. It wobbles a bit between 2 corners, as if one of the corner feet are too long or short a tiny bit. Do other owners have this issue? I tried it on multiple tables including a glass TV stand. It's not a huge deal but it's annoying enough that I wonder if I should try to get a replacement from Amazon if I have a mis-molded unit. If everyone's units do that there's no point in seeking a replacement. It just seems sloppy that a brand new unit doesn't sit flat on the table.

2) I know older Retron77's came with an inferior joystick, and newer units come with the better "Trooper" joysticks. Both the joystick that came with the unit and the Trooper additional joystick look and feel identical to me, and seem to have the same weight, but they have different item numbers on the bottom:

- Joystick included with RetroN77: Item # M07280

- Trooper joystick: Item # M07344

If these are the same exact joysticks, wouldn't they have the same item #? So does this mean my RetroN77 has the old joystick that broke easily?

My R77 is not level either.  Then again, the power switch has also partially fallen off.  I got mine as a pre-release unit, to test the software on the device.  So it's possible I got one of the earlier beta versions where quality control wasn't considered an issue.  YMMV.

I suppose it depends on how irritated you are with the 'wobble' vs. the trouble of sending it back, with the chance of getting a new one with the same problem.  Personally, I added some felt feet to it, and it took care of it.

Also, I never did get an original joystick (they sent the console only!), but I did recently get a Trooper stick.  I can confirm the newer model number, and that it 'feels' like a rubber dome design and not a micro-switch.  Of course to know for sure, I'd have to tear it down and inspect it.

Weird - I tried placing it on several other surfaces, and it wobbles on some but not others. On my flat glass home theatre A/V stand, it wobbles noticeably. On my PC desk it wobbles the same. On the top of my home theatre speaker, there is zero wobble. On my kitchen solid marble cutting board, there is no wobble if placed one way, but rotated 90 degrees, it wobbles slightly.

So I have no idea what the deal is with the balance, but I'll probably stick with this one.

I'd like to find out more about my joysticks though, to be sure I have a newer trooper model with the main unit. Those different item numbers make me wonder why they have different numbers.

4 hours ago, fiudr said:

I'd like to find out more about my joysticks though, to be sure I have a newer trooper model with the main unit. Those different item numbers make me wonder why they have different numbers.

E-mail Hyperkin. When I did, they stated that all RetroN77's should be shipping with the new joystick. If you got an old one, it was old stock, and they should replace it.

6 hours ago, fiudr said:

Okay, so I dug out my extra Trooper and compared model numbers.  I can confirm that the Trooper that ships with the Retron does in fact have a different number than the one that is sold separately. 

My joysticks have the same model numbers that yours do, and I do not have any of the original, inferior joysticks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fluxit said:

Okay, so I dug out my extra Trooper and compared model numbers.  I can confirm that the Trooper that ships with the Retron does in fact have a different number than the one that is sold separately. 

My joysticks have the same model numbers that yours do, and I do not have any of the original, inferior joysticks.

Big thanks for verifying this for me. Much appreciated.

I have a CX40 I got from salvation army store in 2013.  Works great.  I am a left handed player and back in 1980 something my friends had a woody.  Can't remember if it was 4 or 6 switch.  Or heavy or light.  But I remember the controller was a pain.  It was cx 10 or 40.  Can't remember.  But it was one of the originals.  Fire button was on the left.  And it was hard to move the stick with my left hand and fire with my right.

So regarding the trooper.  Its on sale for 15 now at amazon.  Want to try one.  But one of the one star reviews said broke in 2 days.  And one said only worked for 2 days.  

So what is every one else experience?

I bought two troopers when they first came out, they seem pretty good quality... much sturdier than the one they originally shipped - but have a longer throw. But then I haven't broken the original one yet!  It is a bit squeakier than it used to be though.  

50 minutes ago, Tifany said:

I bought two troopers when they first came out, they seem pretty good quality... much sturdier than the one they originally shipped - but have a longer throw. But then I haven't broken the original one yet!  It is a bit squeakier than it used to be though.  

So how do I know if I am getting an original trooper or the new better batch?

9 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

So how do I know if I am getting an original trooper or the new better batch?

The original was not called a "trooper". The original was only included in the Retron77 package. The Trooper replaced the original AND is sold individual as well as in all new Retron77's. If you are just buying the joystick, then you will be getting the Trooper (new design joystick)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NISMOPC said:

The original was not called a "trooper". The original was only included in the Retron77 package. The Trooper replaced the original AND is sold individual as well as in all new Retron77's. If you are just buying the joystick, then you will be getting the Trooper (new design joystick)

Ok, thanks.  I ordered one last night.  Will be here tomorrow.  We shall see then.

53 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Ok, thanks.  I ordered one last night.  Will be here tomorrow.  We shall see then.

Overall, it's a real nice unit. My Retron77 came with the original and it broke literally 15 mins into gameplay. They replaced it under warranty with the Trooper and I'm very pleased with it.

Is there a way to download the official firmware as an image to write to the SD card? Like an idiot, I wasn't thinking and wrote the community firmware onto the original SD card, which of course overwrote it, so I don't have a way to go back to the original firmware if I wanted or needed to.

Okay, I found the official firmware image on their site. It doesn't say if it's the latest firmware version though. It's just named r77image.img.

Now that I've installed the community firmware, my new retron77 is running great. But I can't figure out how to get my original paddles to work. I have the y-cable plugged into the back port, and the power cable plugged into the y-cable, and the paddles are plugged into the 2600-daptor and then plugged into the usb port on the y adapter. But paddles aren't working at all with paddle games.

Is there something to configure for the paddles to work with this set-up?

Edited by fiudr