IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

I have a Retron 77 and I tried home-brews "The Byte before Christmas" and "Galagon" and both games had issues working. Galagon was not recognized by the Retron 77 and The Byte before Christmas defaulted to one game instead of the intro selection menu. I have the latest version of the Retron firmware. Any suggestions on how these two games can work properly on the Retron 77? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Questions.

Is this just the same as an Atari 2600 only 40 years newer? And should I get one? I skimmed the thread and it mentions firmware. Why would a 40 year old console need that? I'm asking because my Atari 2600 vader has poor reception and my light sixer is worse. It would be cool to see all my games crystal clear like they should be.

Analogue needs to put out a nostalgically designed wood grain FPGA console for the Atari VCS/5200/400/800 called the Analogue Av, with a wireless joystick/spinner combo controller, a wireless game pad controller, and a wireless trakball controller from 8BitDo. That’s the last one I need them to make, and I’ll be good.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

Patents

Those patents are all long-expired, anyone can develop a system these days that plays 2600 games.  Just don't try to make your system look like an original Atari console, as they can attempt to go after you for infringing on trade dress.

It's just much more expensive to develop hardware that mimics the original 2600, versus using cheap modern hardware that can easily emulate the 2600 (with varying degrees of success).  The Flashback 2 developed by Curt Vendel years ago actually did use proper hardware that allowed you to run binaries natively, and it could be modified with a cartridge port to use physical cartridges.  There are some FPGA solutions as well, such as the CollectorVision Phoenix, that will let you play 2600 as if they are running on the original hardware.  I believe you can only load games via the SD card slot with the Phoenix, not sure if they ever created an adapter that lets you use 2600 cartridges.

..Al

• Like 5

13 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Hm. That's sad.

Not really. Don't be fooled by "software emulator". Stella is rather advanced with a heritage going back 25+ years. Being strictly software so to speak, it continues to be expanded and updated as time goes on.

I'm firmly in the software emulator camp for many reasons. SE has become more accurate and versatile in the past few years. And SE runs on all kinds of hardware that's available anywhere and everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:58 PM, Albert said:

Those patents are all long-expired, anyone can develop a system these days that plays 2600 games.  Just don't try to make your system look like an original Atari console, as they can attempt to go after you for infringing on trade dress.

It's just much more expensive to develop hardware that mimics the original 2600, versus using cheap modern hardware that can easily emulate the 2600 (with varying degrees of success).  The Flashback 2 developed by Curt Vendel years ago actually did use proper hardware that allowed you to run binaries natively, and it could be modified with a cartridge port to use physical cartridges.  There are some FPGA solutions as well, such as the CollectorVision Phoenix, that will let you play 2600 as if they are running on the original hardware.  I believe you can only load games via the SD card slot with the Phoenix, not sure if they ever created an adapter that lets you use 2600 cartridges.

..Al

On 3/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, WaverBoy said:

The Collectorvision Phoenix would appear to be non-acquirable at the moment ?

As someone who owns a Phoenix, a large part of my reasoning for buying one was the Atari 2600 core and eventual cartridge adapter.  The reality, more than 2 years after receiving it has been a little disappointing.  While the Phoenix is awesome for playing Colecovision games either from the carts or roms via an SD card, the Atari 2600 core frankly sucks.  The interface is a mess. It looks messy, it seems impossible to select which game variation you want for each title, it starts playing the game before you exit the menu, usually resulting in a death before you start playing, many games don't play at all or are broken enough to make the experience of the game much less enjoyable than on original hardware.  There's still no sign of the cartridge adapter and I don't even know if that will make any difference to how broken the 2600 core still is.  I've asked if it would a couple of times on the Phoenix forums but Collectorvision have remained silent on the subject.  I think that probably means it won't make any difference.  

So to anyone who primarily would want a Phoenix to play Atari 2600 games, and feel they missed the boat, I can tell you that you really didn't miss out.  You just saved yourself a couple of hundred bucks.

With the amount of homebrews coming from AtariAge lately and with Audacity Games entering the market too, there's never been a better time for a new, quality console that can reliably play ALL Atari 2600 carts, including homebrews.  The R77 doesn't seem to be the answer.  I don't think it can play all carts, even updating Stella, although I maybe wrong.  The last I read is that it still can't play Pitfall 2 at the very least and many of the more sophisticated homebrews.  I got an Atari 2600 and fell for classic gaming hard relatively recently.  Late 2017 and even I have noticed in that short time, a rise in cost of games, consoles and crt tv's to play them on.  The single most frustrating aspect of classic gaming for me is the unreliability of both the consoles and the tv's we play them on.  I have zero interest in emulation.  I love to collect the carts and putting them in universal game cases, I love seeing them on my shelves.  I love gimping covers for those that don't have one on coverproject.net, I love creating manual booklets from the pdf's.  What fills me with dread and I have no time for, is the prospect of buying repair kits on console5.com, soldering irons on ebay, opening up my 2600 and trying to fix it myself.  Nor do I want to keep replacing them or paying someone else to repair them.  These consoles aren't getting any younger and as the hobby increases in popularity, these consoles and the crt tv's to play them on just keep getting rarer and more expensive.  I think it is definitely time for someone to develop what everyone hoped the Retron 77 was going to be before that launched and disappointed everyone.  Something with the reliability and quality of an Analogue console would be my ultimate dream.  I'd be willing to pay Analogue prices for it too.  If CV fans can be catered for with the Phoenix, I don't see how a 2600 fpga console can't be viable considering how much more popular the 2600 is than the CV.  I really hope it happens, maybe within the next couple of years.

16 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I don't think it can play all carts, even updating Stella, although I maybe wrong.  The last I read is that it still can't play Pitfall 2 at the very least and many of the more sophisticated homebrews.

Wrong.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch