IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I think I have a slight issue with my retron on the latest version (and the one prior), but I would like someone else to confirm.  Could someone hook up paddles to a 2600-captor d9, and attempt to play breakout on the retron 77 with the latest update?  

The issue I am having with both paddles is a “dead spot” near the left side of the game screen where the paddle bar pauses before continuing to scroll left. At first I thought it was an issue with the paddles, but then using Stella on my iMac, the same paddles with the same adapter didn’t display this, they were smooth side to side without the “stop point” near (but not fully) on the left side.

I also tested super breakout, and Atari circus, and warlords, and they do not display the problem, it’s only on breakout for some odd reason, an only on the retron and not the mac version, using the same paddles with adapter. 

Hopefully someone can either confirm, or rebuke the problem I appear to have.  I need to try and narrow it down to something specific with my system, or a more widespread problem.

Edited by Capt Moore

This happens in Linux due to the way analog controllers are set up by the OS.  As the R77 is based on Linux, I suspect it is the same situation.  I helped develop a solution for this at https://stella-emu.github.io/evdev-joystick.tar.xz, but this is only for standalone Linux.  I guess we should see if we can integrate that functionality into the R77 port.

51 minutes ago, stephena said:

This happens in Linux due to the way analog controllers are set up by the OS.  As the R77 is based on Linux, I suspect it is the same situation.  I helped develop a solution for this at https://stella-emu.github.io/evdev-joystick.tar.xz, but this is only for standalone Linux.  I guess we should see if we can integrate that functionality into the R77 port.

It's odd that it only happens (that I can tell) with breakout, and not all of the paddle games when I was testing.  Is it something that varies depending on the ROM cart used?

2 minutes ago, Capt Moore said:

It's odd that it only happens (that I can tell) with breakout, and not all of the paddle games when I was testing.  Is it something that varies depending on the ROM cart used?

I should say first of all that I'm not entirely sure this is the problem.  But it seems very likely.  We will need to do a little research.

The deadzone can affect various paddles games differently, since some games use more of the range of motion (and some less), and hit the deadzone (or not).

On 4/15/2021 at 1:18 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Open the settings and switch to advanced settings. Then go to Input/Devices&Ports.

Or RTFM! ;) 

I’m in the Advanced Settings, but I can’t figure out how I get to the Devices/Ports tab using the joystick...?

Edited by WaverBoy

On 3/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, insertclevernamehere said:

Yeah I know all about that controversy.  What I meant was whether or not the R77 can play the game after the cart is inserted.  The answer is not all of them.  I don't really care how it does it.  As long as it does and it's reasonably accurate.  However, good to know about the differences between the R77 and Flashback 9 when it comes to emulating ROMS.

I go back to my first point from yesterday though.  There is no perfect replacement for original hardware IF you want to still play from your carts.  CV fans have the Phoenix.  Atari fans are still waiting for such a machine.

I just read that the CV Phoenix also has a Atari 2600 core. Has anyone compared 2600 compatibility on the Phoenix vs Retron 77?

Edited by TF14

5 hours ago, stephena said:

I should say first of all that I'm not entirely sure this is the problem.  But it seems very likely.  We will need to do a little research.

The deadzone can affect various paddles games differently, since some games use more of the range of motion (and some less), and hit the deadzone (or not).

OK.  Let me know if I can help in any way, I am not a programmer but I am willing to try any software fixes or other test software.

33 minutes ago, TF14 said:

I just read that the CV Phoenix also has a Atari 2600 core. Has anyone compared 2600 compatibility on the Phoenix vs Retron 77?

I would be seriously disappointed in the R77 if it was worse than the Phoenix for playing 2600 ROMs. The Phoenix core has a loooong way to go before it’s satisfactory.  I’m not sure it ever will be.  The console just doesn’t have the same buttons that the 2600 or R77 has for selecting game variations and difficulty levels.

With the awesome community build firmware, the 2600-daptor and associated cables, and rebuilt paddles from Best Electronics, the Retron 77 is a great HD Atari VCS/2600 setup that is only missing a good wireless controller solution and a way to start/restart/change games without having to walk up to the console.

Analogue, the Pong ball is in your court.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

Ok, I now have the Retron 77 Stella analog paddle sensitivity set to 83%, which is perfect, and seems to match the feel of the original VCS + paddle. I can now play KABOOM! again without feeling like a complete loser. The default setting is too sensitive. I now have a pretty effin’ sweet HD Atari VCS setup, with the best and most accurate joystick and paddle controls EVAH! Many thanks to all in the community who helped make it possible, from you here at Atari Age to Bradley Koda of Best Electronics!

• Like 3

Maybe slightly off topic, but, has anyone ever made or seen a dust cover for the Retron 77?  Mine seems to collect dust like crazy! lol  I usually keep it in the box, but Ill pull it out and leave it hooked up for a few weeks at time when I need some Atari time.

16 hours ago, Tifany said:

Maybe slightly off topic, but, has anyone ever made or seen a dust cover for the Retron 77?  Mine seems to collect dust like crazy! lol  I usually keep it in the box, but Ill pull it out and leave it hooked up for a few weeks at time when I need some Atari time.

I find that cleaning my house with a swiffer duster once a week is enough to keep everything dust free.  

Just now, insertclevernamehere said:

I find that cleaning my house with a swiffer duster once a week is enough to keep everything dust free.

I have 3 cats and two dogs ... I could dust every two hours and it wouldn't help lol ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I do not think somebody from Toronto probably grasps the amount of dust somebody from Oklahoma has to deal with. Even without the pets.

• Haha 1