IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I went from really wanting and having high hopes for the Retron 77 to not caring about it and thinking it's a joke. Hyperkin doesn't care and I'd be surprised if there's any positive news from them at the PRGE. They seem happy to make these cheap consoles and move on. I've been enjoying my hacked NES classic so much it's made the Retron 5 irrelevant in my living room and I may just sell it.

• Like 2

Damn!

Maybe I should throw my, as yet, unused RetroN 77 up on ebay for $200, with the words "Launch Edition" Haaa!

• Like 5

Is it the launch edition because you'd rather launch it into the sun instead of playing it?

I wrote a poem inspired by your post:

Launch it to the Sun; it's more fun...

Launch it to the Moon; get there soon...

Launch it to Mercury; fire and fury...

Launch it to Venus; in a spaceship shaped like a p****...

Launch it to the Earth; where Atari had it's birth...

Launch it to Mars; reach for the stars...

Launch it to Jupiter; it's more stupider...

Launch it to Saturn; spot the pattern...

Launch it to Uranus; not up "your a***"...

Launch it to Neptune; emulation's for teh loon...

Launch it to Pluto; long distance to throw...*

*Pluto is not a planet; why did the IAU ban it!? :evil:

It all happened last Summer; 'twas such a Bummer...

Hyperkin launched the Retron Seventy-Seven;

System played like Hell, so we launched that Mo-Fo to Heaven... |:)

• Like 4

I had contact with Hyperkin a few weeks ago and they are expecting a new batch of systems with the updated Mammoth controller (super strong version). So the R77 is still on their radar!

Good! I would like stronger controllers.

I gave mine away to a buddy. He's enjoying it.

I'm still enjoying mine. Love the concept, a small footprint, and I've had fun with it.

I tried to reach out again but nothing unfortunately. I hope that you guys get some answers during the PRGE!

I really like this console TBF but it should play everything..especially new home-brews.

I thought part of the beauty of this system was the Stella emulation could be updated by the fan community through the micro SD card?

I thought part of the beauty of this system was the Stella emulation could be updated by the fan community through the micro SD card?

There's a pretty long discussion about that in this thread. The short version of it is that there is a lot of additional work beyond Stella that would have to be done in order to bring the current version of Stella to the RetroN 77. And while it's theoretically possible for the fan community to do that, it should be up to Hyperkin to put those kind of resources into their product. It's not trivial.

A somewhat newer version of Stella can already be installed, but it's far from current.

• Like 5

Yeh I installed the update that came out roughly a week after the release of the R'77 and and I can say made a HUGE difference.

Yeh, Hyperkin should get more on it, but what is their license with Stella currently? If Hyperkin is using something like Stella at least they are ahead of the Flashbacks with their own emulators that are more broken.

If Hyperkin is using something like Stella at least they are ahead of the Flashbacks with their own emulators that are more broken.

Not for long. This year's Flashbacks will be running off Stella as well. With the inclusion of the SD card slot, they should be able to do just as much if not more than the R77's. My guess is they will have better compatibility with games than the R77.

• Like 1

Not for long. This year's Flashbacks will be running off Stella as well. With the inclusion of the SD card slot, they should be able to do just as much if not more than the R77's. My guess is they will have better compatibility with games than the R77.

Oh yeah! I bet my Gremlin can beat your Pinto. :)

• Like 4

Well, I guess my gift to my buddy didn't work out too good after all. Hyperkin, pay attention please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNq90qh-cA4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2PNL1hneoyBY6VqAdj15m6LWhyNJsbUSFp2rgjqsXlo7w84t77f4hrlMM

I've had controller ports eff up before. Typically it's dirty pins. The fact the wico left works on his retron77 prooves the port isn't totally broken. Someone said the controller port pins are thinner on the Retron77. This could result in poorer connection but it doesn't mean it's broken. Clean the plugs and the controller ports. Spray deoxit in there if you have to, geeze... :roll:

So I listened a bit further. I loled at "Hyper-Cunt"! :rolling:

But really, this dude got issues...

• Like 2

Frankly i haven't used mine much since i got it. For some reason the aspect ratio is all screwed up when i use it and yeah i used the aspect ratio button. So if do want play these old games. I just wind up using my Raspberry Pi/Retro Pi which works better than a machine that meant to play nothing but Atari 2600 Games. Why can't anyone simply produce a FPGA system for the Atari than slapping a ancient version of a emulator into a plastic box. I only got it because i thought it would be cool to use my old cartridges and controllers again, But NOOOO.

Edited by SqueezeBoxer77

Frankly i haven't used mine much since i got it. For some reason the aspect ratio is all screwed up when i use it and yeah i used the aspect ratio button. So if do want play these old games. I just wind up using my Raspberry Pi/Retro Pi which works better than a machine that meant to play nothing but Atari 2600 Games. Why can't anyone simply produce a FPGA system for the Atari than slapping a ancient version of a emulator into a plastic box. I only got it because i thought it would be cool to use my old cartridges and controllers again, But NOOOO.

Firstly, the RetroN77 was designed to make some money for the company producing it. All other considerations are secondary.

The R-Pi and related stuff has more development time behind it. The RetroN77 is using a GPU core from 2006-era cellphones. While it appears capable of rendering VCS graphics just fine, it isn't going to support the latest standards which Stella seems to need.

The Atari VCS is pretty well understood and there should be no reason why anyone couldn't make a proper 100% compatible system today. Cost apparently continues to be an issue. A proper system would likely go for $250-$300 when all is said and done. Especially if you want proper switches, FPGA tech, controller ports that do both input and output and are analog in nature for paddles. Among other considerations.

It's important to understand that you're not really using your cartridges with this system beyond the initial dumping activity. Once dumped, the cart becomes inactive and sits there looking pretty. Emulators and cartridges simply don't mix well.