IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

When I first saw that cancer label, it was on a Misfits coffee mug I was about to buy at Guitar Center, so I did Not buy it! I thought why would the Chinese make a coffee mug with a cool Misfits skull on the side and then use something cancerous in its construction and furthermore why would Guitar Center sell such a thing? Yeah, you'd think the American band The Misfits could get a coffee mug made in L.A. or something wouldn't you?

Your big mistake was considering buying Misfits merchandise that was obviously made by Jerry Only ... SHAME ON YOU!!!!! :)

Hail Danzig!

• Like 3

Your big mistake was considering buying Misfits merchandise that was obviously made by Jerry Only ... SHAME ON YOU!!!!! :)

Hail Danzig!

This was long ago, so who knows who was in the profits mix? From what I've read, Danzig always took the lions share of profits in the early days anyway. He barely paid the other members anything for their time or contributions. I know there's 2 sides to every story, but he seemed to behave the same way in Danzig, ....if you read interviews with their original guitar player etc., It was always Danzig plus paid players, generally doing what he told them and they had very little say. The version without Danzig (Who declined to be involved at all and was hostile towards them for reforming)...actually functioned as a band rather than one guy...And (I could be wrong) but I always heard it was the courts who decided that the band Had contributed to making The Misfits who they were and not just the one guy...Maybe it was long overdue comeuppens? Personally, I liked the version with Michael Graves on vocs.

P.S. I know you were being tongue in cheek, and yet I answered in a most serious way...I just thought I'd mention the other side :-D .

Edited by GoldLeader

This was long ago, so who knows who was in the profits mix? From what I've read, Danzig always took the lions share of profits in the early days anyway. He barely paid the other members anything for their time or contributions. I know there's 2 sides to every story, but he seemed to behave the same way in Danzig, ....if you read interviews with their original guitar player etc., It was always Danzig plus paid players, generally doing what he told them and they had very little say. The version without Danzig (Who declined to be involved at all and was hostile towards them for reforming)...actually functioned as a band rather than one guy...And (I could be wrong) but I always heard it was the courts who decided that the band Had contributed to making The Misfits who they were and not just the one guy...Maybe it was long overdue comeuppens? Personally, I liked the version with Michael Graves on vocs.

P.S. I know you were being tongue in cheek, and yet I answered in a most serious way...I just thought I'd mention the other side :-D .

We'll continue this discussion privately :)

• Like 1

The warning label would make a cool coffee mug, co workers wouldn't borrow it.

That's something I'd probably buy!!

I'm reminded of an idea I had back when the PMRC was trying to rule our music and putting warning stickers on albums and cassettes. Back when it first started, I was very Angry they ruined the artwork of bands rather than putting it on the back or out of the way like they did with movie ratings.

My idea (which seemed novel at the time) was to have an album that was just one giant warning sticker (Like that'd be the title of the album). Another idea was to tile the warning stickers across the front of an album...

Of course the ultimate irony would be that warning labeled albums always sold really well back then, and I'd want an album with no actual cussing just to prove a point.

• Like 2

Frank Zappa's Jazz from Hell was on their watch list iirc. It's instrumental. Never got a sticker, though.

How does purely instrumental and/or ambient sound get an "explicit lyrics" warning? "Hell" in the title? I need to pick this up. LOL! :evil:

My idea (which seemed novel at the time) was to have an album that was just one giant warning sticker (Like that'd be the title of the album). Another idea was to tile the warning stickers across the front of an album...

Over the shrink wrap would have been ideal, less so decals on the jacket / cover depending upon the adhesive strength and how delicately you peel it off. I would imagine during the transition, a lot of already printed albums / cassetes had labels hastily attached at the warehouse.

• Like 1

How does purely instrumental and/or ambient sound get an "explicit lyrics" warning? "Hell" in the title? I need to pick this up. LOL! :evil:

Over the shrink wrap would have been ideal, less so decals on the jacket / cover depending upon the adhesive strength and how delicately you peel it off. I would imagine during the transition, a lot of already printed albums / cassetes had labels hastily attached at the warehouse.

In my imagination (and perhaps the beginning of the MTV Video in my mind)...A kid would buy the album and there would be shrink wrap featuring One Giant Warning Label which would be a Giant Sticker covering the whole thing! And After peeling off the Giant Sticker, it would look Exactly the same underneath because the album artwork would be a giant warning label! :lolblue:

For some reason that struck me as Hilarious...back then ... and also Now!

• Like 2

In my imagination (and perhaps the beginning of the MTV Video in my mind)...A kid would buy the album and there would be shrink wrap featuring One Giant Warning Label which would be a Giant Sticker covering the whole thing! And After peeling off the Giant Sticker, it would look Exactly the same underneath because the album artwork would be a giant warning label! :lolblue:

For some reason that struck me as Hilarious...back then ... and also Now!

Like the Beatles album with the babies on it that got recalled.

The_Beatles_-_Butcher_Cover.jpg

Fans tried to peel back the new adhesive labels, typically ruining both in the process. :ponder:

I don't want to get back on topic until there is actual news from Hyperkin.

I ...
I am also picking back up ceramics as a hobby. However all my glaze formulations moving forward are lead/cadmium free. Lead fluxes have been largely replaced by non-toxic oxides and fluxants which provide the same flow effect and glassy surface as PbO but do not leech toxic heavy metals into food nor pose an occupational risk to potters / ceramicists.

So while my pots are food safe, my electronics isn't RoHS compliant. It is what it is. And if I ever ship a joystick to California, it's getting a Prop65 notice in the box... :roll:

You can get Silicosis (silica crystals in your lungs) from clay, or is that different from ceramics?

I like my silicon doing electronic things. :)

Certainly Lead is dangerous for children's developing brains, and in large amounts dangerous for adults.

I don't think an adult soldering with leaded solder is harmful enough to be a concern. Alcohol drinking is probably more brain damaging.

• Like 2

I don't want to get back on topic until there is actual news from Hyperkin.

You can get Silicosis (silica crystals in your lungs) from clay, or is that different from ceramics?

I like my silicon doing electronic things. :)

Certainly Lead is dangerous for children's developing brains, and in large amounts dangerous for adults.

I don't think an adult soldering with leaded solder is harmful enough to be a concern. Alcohol drinking is probably more brain damaging.

Yeah, in college we wore loose fitting dust masks, used an air hose on shelves, and dry swept the studio. It is now recommended that only wet cleaning is performed. IE mop floors and use a damp rag to wipe tables. Wet clay is non-toxic and poses zero occupational health hazard. Lead free / cadmium / barium free glazes pose little hazard when wet, but care must be taken when mixing dry glaze or powdered slip clay. Likewise if you are carving greenware with tools to provide relief texture, best to do it when leatherhard as opposed to bone dry.

As for the old leaded glazes, the lead was rarely used as a pigment but fritted PbO improved flow characteristics and yielded a high gloss. Fritted lead posed less occupational hazard to ceramicists than raw PbO, however lead could still leech from improperly formulated glazes on dinnerware vases. Distilled vinegar is used to test for leeching. The pot or vessel is glazed internally then stored filled with vinegar inside a sealed container for a month. The vinegar is then tested for presence of lead acetate. Sodium hydroxide is added to neutralize the ph of the acetic acid. Lead hydroxide and other heavy metal hydroxides precipitates out of solution and are collected for analysis. If the occurance of lead is greater than xxx parts per million in solution, then the pot is not food safe.

A bigger issue is that when low fire lead glazes are improperly fired to high fire temperatures (cone 6 to cone 10), the PbO volatizes and fuses into kiln brick, also escapes through the kiln vent and can settle on any surface in the vicinity of the studio. Said kiln is now contaminated, and even firing ware with food safe glazes, lead volatizes in the kiln atmosphere and settles on the surface of the glazed ware, where it is most easily leachable. Used kilns may be contaminated with lead and need to be fired completely empty to cone 6 or higher, outside the studio with all vent holes open. This will allow most of the contaminantion to volatize and escape into the atmosphere.

Lead oxide has almost been phased out completely in commercial formuations by substituting other glass forming oxides. Borate forms Borosillicate (pyrex) which have excellent flow characteristics with high gloss (though not quite as glossy as lead due to lower refractive index) good fit for most clay bodies, and superior resistance to thermal shock or crazing. Leaded ceramics will not be missed.

Leaded solder on the other hand, has no good substitute for hand soldering. The rohs compliant stuff is shit. It won't flow onto the component leads at all, no matter how much flux I use. I get cold joints all day long with that crap. Another food for though is lead really doesn't volatize at all at the 375 degrees F needed to melt solder. This is a far cry from the 2000+ F temps a kiln endures.

Sorry for the ot discussion. Cheers...

• Like 2

Something that causes cancer in California won't cause cancer outside the state? But what if you bring it back in, then it starts causing it again?

Now I know why all those Californians are moving to Texas!

Anyway I just got my Retron 77 yesterday from Castlevania games. Is there any way to tell if it has the improved joystick and latest firmware?

• Like 1

Now I know why all those Californians are moving to Texas!

Anyway I just got my Retron 77 yesterday from Castlevania games. Is there any way to tell if it has the improved joystick and latest firmware?

Yes, new games will be present if you have the latest firmware. Check for Supercharger Space Invaders and Defender III.

• Like 1

I just picked up an R77 and I'm pretty excited to try some classics. I know it's not a perfect Atari 2600 experience by any means, but I love the hardware design and it seems like something I could still have fun with. Does anyone know if there's any further community development projects happening and if there'd be any way to contribute to them? I'm sure everyone is all about FPGA/MiSTer development these days, but it would be rad to see this thing running Stella 5+.

• 3 weeks later...

To those that are capturing gameplay footage, have any of you had issues with capture cards not detecting sound from the Retron77? I can get an image but zero sound. I've tried different HDMI cables as well as running it through my upscaler which I figured would fix the issue, but still no dice. No other systems I have are doing this so it seems to be R77 specific. Sound is detected when it goes straight into a monitor, but that doesn't help much when I want to capture or stream. I'm at 3.9.3 but haven't tried the community build yet. I am using an internal Elgato Game Capture HD60 but am curious if folks with other cards have had trouble.

Did you ever find a solution to the sound issue? I'm also using an Elgato HD 60 and just like you, no sound. Do have an AverMedia capture device I could use that does work, but my normal pipeline for capturing footage is through the elgato so I'm hoping some sort of solution was discovered.

Did you ever find a solution to the sound issue? I'm also using an Elgato HD 60 and just like you, no sound. Do have an AverMedia capture device I could use that does work, but my normal pipeline for capturing footage is through the elgato so I'm hoping some sort of solution was discovered.

Try running a patch cable in from your tv audio. The sound from the R77 is the culprit here. A headset patch cord should do the job if you tell the elgato to accept analogue sound in the preferences. It was a major pain in my butt figuring it out for my last video. The R77 doesn't have a headset out, but you can try running it out of your tv. I gave up and went to my old Magewell for the R77 and recorded using OBS.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a NTSC 60 version of a game, is there a way to run it with pal colors.

Nope, for PAL colors you need a PAL ROM.

This and a million other reasons why (ie to set the controller type) a configurations menu is needed. On Windows, Stella has keyboard shortcuts or a menu hotkey. The otherwise useless "Fry" button, or reset to menu, would work well in this capacity.