IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

It's great! Emulators are becoming quite sophisticated. I'm watching a discussion where there are some video artifacts that can't be explained or 100% understood or totally accounted for by looking at the emulation code. And real hardware exhibits the same visual effect! That's neat.. What next?

I just played on my AtGames 2014 Sega Genesis Classic Console and it wasn't nearly as bad as the haters make it sound. It's small and neat and it was super cheap.

I have one of the Sega handhelds I got years ago. I like it and for the price I don't see why people dislike it.

I'm not sure the emulation on the retro 77 is a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It is to this community which wants to play homebrew and such, but average gamer won't know about atariage. If the first run does well maybe they can continue to work on better emulation.

• Like 3

I have one of the Sega handhelds I got years ago. I like it and for the price I don't see why people dislike it.

I'm not sure the emulation on the retro 77 is a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It is to this community which wants to play homebrew and such, but average gamer won't know about atariage. If the first run does well maybe they can continue to work on better emulation.

Agreed. The AtGames products were definitely worth the price and it sounds like they will be much improved this year.

I think the issue with the Retro 77 is that the emulation software they were hoping to use is not available / won't be licensed to them.

Simply for the sound. I mean yeah I agree the thing is cheap, (and feels the part) but the slowed down sound was the bummer constantly reminding you something wasn't right, and the tinny speakers in the handheld didn't help that case at all. Else.. it plays pretty decently! Just got finished playing a little round of Sonic 1 on it right now actually.

I have to admit that my expectation was also marred by excitedly first trying out Contra Hard Corps on my SD card as the first game on the system and obviously as it's known now, it can't play that.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Agreed. The AtGames products were definitely worth the price and it sounds like they will be much improved this year.

I think the issue with the Retro 77 is that the emulation software they were hoping to use is not available / won't be licensed to them.

They already have a working prototype. It would be stupid to spend all that R&D then not to release it.

I make a yearly cash donation to Stella based on adapter sales.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

I didn't want to suggest an issue between 2600daptor and Stella. I was speculating about hyperkin needing to work out separate licensing with 2600dator's firmware patent and Stella's use restrictions. If that was clear, then I applaud your support of Stella and totally love using your products.

Could it be something like the 2600-daptor II firmware needs to be licensed or restrictions on profiting from Stella open-source software?

To be clear, there is no restriction on profiting from Stella, nor is there any requirement to donate/pay for it (although it is greatly appreciated). What they (and anyone, really) can't do is use the code and close it up, and not release any changes they've made. This has nothing to do with money, but with releasing any changes made to the codebase (so everyone else can use/enjoy them too).

That being said, since they're using an older licensed version of Stella, I doubt that is the issue. Unless of course they want to use a newer version and not follow the license; THAT would be an issue.

• Like 1

To be clear, there is no restriction on profiting from Stella, nor is there any requirement to donate/pay for it (although it is greatly appreciated). What they (and anyone, really) can't do is use the code and close it up, and not release any changes they've made. This has nothing to do with money, but with releasing any changes made to the codebase (so everyone else can use/enjoy them too).

That being said, since they're using an older licensed version of Stella, I doubt that is the issue. Unless of course they want to use a newer version and not follow the license; THAT would be an issue.

I think after they got some feedback, it became obvious that they needed to use a more updated version of Stella, which they are not able to do. I'm sure they didn't see any possibility of commercial success coding on top of the licensed version or having to release their code using the latest version if they could even get that worked out. Edited by bmadgames

I didn't want to suggest an issue between 2600daptor and Stella. I was speculating about hyperkin needing to work out separate licensing with 2600dator's firmware patent and Stella's use restrictions. If that was clear, then I applaud your support of Stella and totally love using your products.

2600-daptor is patented? How? Wasn't the Stella-daptor prior art?

Yes, this is basically it. As long as there are two processes in memory that can talk to each other over some protocol, then the separation is adequate. For example, in Stella 1.1, the core code was non-GPL but the sound code was GPL. So the sound code was placed in a separate sound server that was launched by the core program upon application startup. The standalone core could run exclusively of the sound server app, except of course there was no sound. Both apps could be updated separately, with no regard for what the other one was doing, as long as the method and type of communication between them stayed in sync.

IMO, this idea could be extended to the cart reader code. The cart reader, custom UI, whatever else is in one or more processes that are not GPL'ed. Data is read by the cart reader, then passed to Stella, perhaps by temporarily creating a file in RAM representing the ROM. This is passed to Stella, which then runs it as normal.

All of this isn't terribly difficult. GPL'ed software has been made to run with proprietary code before; this is a solved problem.

Basically, as long as a piece of GPL'ed software can be compiled into an executable without requiring proprietary bits (ie, object/header/source files that are not GPL), then the license is obeyed.

So it sounds like that in this case, the licensing of the non-GPL Stella 1.1 would force Hyperkin to replace the GPL sound code. Sounds like another setback on for this emulation box to me. Not that Hyperkin has a very GPL-respecting past anyways. Its competitor atgames' 2600 Flashback sound emulation isn't particularly good, it isn't particularly easy to get good sound it seems.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

So it sounds like that in this case, the licensing of the non-GPL Stella 1.1 would force Hyperkin to replace the GPL sound code. Sounds like another setback on for this emulation box to me. Not that Hyperkin has a very GPL-respecting past anyways. Its competitor atgames' 2600 Flashback sound emulation isn't particularly good, it isn't particularly easy to get good sound it seems.

If Hyperkin borks the sound on this, I'll die a bit inside.

• Like 2

I think after they got some feedback, it became obvious that they needed to use a more updated version of Stella, which they are not able to do. I'm sure they didn't see any possibility of commercial success coding on top of the licensed version or having to release their code using the latest version if they could even get that worked out.

"Obvious" maybe, but unless you have some inside information, this is still just speculation.

• Like 1

I stick to my own speculation.

Maybe ... to which I say, don't worry about sunk cost fallacy, just do it right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

In related news, sounds like the Sega Genesis Flashback will be delayed, because of problems in the first run. Problem is, they sent those flawed units to reviewers. Facepalm ?‍♂️

Apologies, I did miss read your post. Without the work of the emulator authors, we would not have any of this, so I hope everyone does something to support their favorite emulators.

There is not any patent on the 2600-daptor firmware.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Edited by dualcam
  • Like 1