IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

2600-daptor is patented? How? Wasn't the Stella-daptor prior art?

Patents can be bought and sold and I think improvements or changes to firmware can be patented or copyrighted, as well. In this case, I guess they were not, as Tom stated.

I guess this indicates stelladaptor was creative commons after 2009, from Grand Ideas Studio website:

AtariAge was the exclusive manufacturer of the Stelladaptor. The product has been discontinued as of 2009 and is now available under a Creative Commons Attribution-3.0 United States license.

• Like 1

Atgames is doing with the Sega HD what I would love to see with the Flashback. I would believe in the Retron 77 if it was made by Atgames.

Distributing a version with crappy sound for a decade, then redesigning it to make it better, but sending defective units out for review, ruining their reputation all over again?

• Like 1

My main worry about the Retron 77 is that I don't think we'll ever see it. There's the issue with Stella, and it not using a current version, some legal issues. Silence from the manufacturer. I don't think it's happening. If Atgames was putting this out, I'm not 100 % sure I'd love the device, but at least I think it would get past the prototype stage. This isn't ever coming out, like the Ataribox. My best hope is that Atgames makes a Flashback with a cartridge port. one day.

That is unlikely, but an SD card slot is on the table.

Interersting! I would have thought there was some kind of legal problem with an SD card slot. I know the portable has one but didn't the original FlashBack 2 have some legal reason they couldn't have an actual cart slot, hence the mod option if people wanted to make one themselves?

BTW if an SD card comes on the FlashBack Gold I am totally getting one ... two .... three .... half a dozen.

My main worry about the Retron 77 is that I don't think we'll ever see it. There's the issue with Stella, and it not using a current version, some legal issues. Silence from the manufacturer. I don't think it's happening. If Atgames was putting this out, I'm not 100 % sure I'd love the device, but at least I think it would get past the prototype stage. This isn't ever coming out, like the Ataribox. My best hope is that Atgames makes a Flashback with a cartridge port. one day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-FLASHBACK-2-Game-Console-w-Cartridge-Port-Hack-A-V-Jacks-Modified-NICE-/352120839330?hash=item51fc099ca2:g:bBcAAOSwwyFZcqmc

:grin:

• Like 2

Interersting! I would have thought there was some kind of legal problem with an SD card slot. I know the portable has one but didn't the original FlashBack 2 have some legal reason they couldn't have an actual cart slot, hence the mod option if people wanted to make one themselves?

BTW if an SD card comes on the FlashBack Gold I am totally getting one ... two .... three .... half a dozen.

Cost, apparently, according to NSG:

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/2210-coming-this-christmas-atari-flashback-7-and/page-2

It's a 2600 that plays real carts, has save states, and upscales to HDMI? Sign me up. None of the modern cheap clone consoles are perfect, but I've had plenty of fun with the retron, flashback, and atgames systems.

• Like 2

Never say never. I don't think Hyperkin would spend all this money developing the Retron77 just to can it now. They did reveal a prototype at e3, and it was not smoke and mirrors.

Maybe ... to which I say, don't worry about sunk cost fallacy, just do it right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

I have connected my PC to my TV via HDMI and just order a 2600-daptor. So I wonder, what would be the benefit of this (besides having the console keys close to me)?

- Cheap

- Handling of real cartridges (not my cuppa, but which seems to be a big deal for some people who post here)

- Supporting commercial emulation and demonstrating demand for dead old games

• Like 1

- Cheap

- Handling of real cartridges (not my cuppa, but which seems to be a big deal for some people who post here)

- Supporting commercial emulation and demonstrating demand for dead old games

- 2600-daptor is most likely cheaper (even two of them)

- I have quite some doubts about compatibility here. And since I use a Harmony, there is little difference anyway.

- I prefer to support non-commercial products for multiple reasons

• Like 1

It's cool that you could hack your own port, but there are supposed to be serious compatibility issues with carts. It's more of a novelty item, for me.

I like the idea of handling real carts because they're out there, they still function fine, and they are pretty cheap, for the most part. If it works, doesn't take up much room, and it doesn't cost me much, I'll reuse rather than throw away. I'm far from an environmentalist, but like re-purposing, & reusing. There's still so much NIB/CIb/Loose stuff from Atari that's now decades old. If it works, I'll use it!

• Like 1

No argument here, just trying to come up with reasons someone (not necessarily you or me) would want a Retron77.

IMO emulation by Stella would be perfect, if we somehow* could add access to the console switches with a joystick during a game.

*Any ideas for entering a different mode which stops emulation and allows e.g. triggering RESET? Besides unusual controller combinations I have no better idea.

You need an extra button. One would be enough, since that could be mapped to bring up the options menu, which would contain all other options and could then be navigated by the joystick and the normal button.

Remapping buttons on 2600daptor devices is not yet supported, but there's already been a TODO issue created for it.