IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

To recap: Most folks here want this to use the latest version of Stella, which would require Hyperkin to share their code (or get permission from lots and lots of people not to), which Hyperkin appears reluctant to do for Reasons, which means they are most likely using an older version of Stella, but most people here want them to use the latest version, which means Hyperkin would have to share their code, which they seem reluctant to do for Reasons, so they're using an older version of Stella, but most people here want them to use the latest version, and that brings us up to page 33.

• Like 3

...which would require Hyperkin to share their code (or get permission from lots and lots of people not to)

As it has been explained multiples times here this is not correct. Those requirements only become valid for any changes they make to the Stella code.
  • Like 4

I was contacted after expressing a desire to play test.

I explained how we are still pushing the system way beyond its intended use with techniques like illegal opcodes, Bus Stuffing, DPC+ Hardware assist, Cart RAM, larger ROM banks, etc.

Unless they use around Stella 3.9.3 or newer, DPC+ games will not work.

That one email reply was the last I heard from Retron77.

• Like 1

I explained how we are still pushing the system way beyond its intended use with techniques like illegal opcodes, Bus Stuffing, DPC+ Hardware assist, Cart RAM, larger ROM banks, etc.

You lost me a little bit on this part. You mean, They explained how they were still... or that they gave you a unit to play test and you explained your findings of the system...

How long ago was this?

Edited by TokyoBatman

You lost me a little bit on this part. You mean, They explained how they were still... or that they gave you a unit to play test and you explained your findings of the system...

How long ago was this?

It was back when the guy from Retron posted here, I emailed him asking to be a beta tester, saying how I use Atari 2600 and what this community creates and that I have carts from 2K to 64K, that I know how the real hardware operates, oh and also the 10 or so games that got real Trak-Ball control added.

His reply email confirmed I would be a good candidate to test, and he would tell the hardware team that the ports should work with Trak-Ball controllers.

No other emails followed. No hardware was ever sent.

And as most of this thread says, no new information since that Retron guy made 2 posts here (as far as I know).

It was back when the guy from Retron posted here, I emailed him asking to be a beta tester, saying how I use Atari 2600 and what this community creates and that I have carts from 2K to 64K, that I know how the real hardware operates, oh and also the 10 or so games that got real Trak-Ball control added.

His reply email confirmed I would be a good candidate to test, and he would tell the hardware team that the ports should work with Trak-Ball controllers.

No other emails followed. No hardware was ever sent.

And as most of this thread says, no new information since that Retron guy made 2 posts here (as far as I know).

Thanks for the clarification. I'm excited about the product. Hope they can get it sorted. They may be focusing on the SNES stuff thinking it'll be the bigger money maker.

Not sure,but keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't think there's anything technically impossible about making a good retron 77 unit. There's internal politics and bickering. An who knows they might go after the snes for extra profit. The NES and SNES were far more popular then the VCS anyways.

NES was only about twice as popular during it's time as the Atari VCS/2600, based on actual sales data.

NES = 60 million units.

Atari VCS/2600 = 30 million units.

That is still a pretty big market size.

But popularity back in the day does not directly correlate to popularity now. Currently there are probably about ten Nintendo collectors for every Atari collector.

Well they already do NES/SNES with other RetroNs...

So Now we Atari Fans can hope and pray they do this one right...

My thought is this. There is no way in Hell this thing is gonna play Pitfall II....I'd be very surprised if most Homebrews work with it...And there's no way in **What's more dramatic than Hell? But I already used that one....Damn thesaurus is no good either... hmmm...)**...

Let's just say It's not gonna work with the Harmony Cart either!

OK Hyperkin...

Prove Me Wrong!!!

Please, I'd really dig it if you'd prove me wrong! I mean yes the Average Joe will buy it either way...And yes we Atari Age fans are a fickle group...Hard to please too...But I figure if you're going to be making this anyway. And without That much more effort, you have the chance to really do it right..Creating an instant classic...Creating new customers for future products, Creating the Cadillac of the RetroN line, Gaining more street cred than you know what to do with...Well, Why wouldn't you?

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 4

Again, I was told an update would be on their facebook "soon". This was from an email several months ago. I'm sure they peek at this thread and the silence is deafening. They are saying volumes by saying nothing.

Didn't you like the word "soon" from your parents when you were a kid? It could mean anything like tomorrow, next week, next month, February 30th when both suns are eclipsed, etc. No different meaning here.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You think they'd have done SOMETHING between the last update and today. Maybe they're dropping because they say, "Keep checking our social media for updates on any of our ongoing projects."

If R77 was still work in progress they would have left out the "any ongoing projects" part.

• Like 1

If they cancel it, people will be upset. If they release a buggy emulator, that doesn't work with Pitfall II much less melody games, people will be upset. If they violate GPLv3 and release a closed source unauthorized Stella port, people will be upset. If they fart into the breeze, people downwind will smell it. Hyperkin will basically lose face on this no matter what they do. Sad too because I really wanted this to exist. Somethig is better than nothing. If nothing else just release the e3 prototype as is already, geeze...

• Like 2