IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

So just some random videogame player? Super.

He held the world record for the high score in Donkey Kong and had an entire film made about his competition with Steve Wiebe for the title. He's not an A-lister by any means but it stands to reason that a significant cross section of people interested in a new Atari 2600 console may have seen The King of Kong.

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 4

This Billy Mitchell:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mitchell_(video_game_player)

Not to be confused with this Billy Mitchell:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mitchell

or these Billy Mitchells:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Billy/Mitchell

So there's more than one. Who'd of thought...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mitchell

Not that I've seen. I have some "concerns" about the build quality of the switches, too. I wouldn't expect a sturdy, heavy-gauge plastic case with spring loaded dust flaps over the cartridge port for example. I expect it will be an Android-y thing in a box with a grippy cartridge edge connector, like their other clone systems.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't see a problem with that.

I met Billy Mitchell and Walter Day (of Twin Galaxies fame) at a pinball tournament/convention in Denver...I chatted briefly, watched him play some Berzerk...And then him and Walter signed my Limited edition Pac Man bumper sticker haha, which they were selling for $5 each...I had them dig me out #69 of 250...So I could do the obligatory Bill & Ted style "69 Dude!"...They both seemed really nice, and at earlier times at the convention, they had been drawing crowds like real rockstars...

Didn't hurt that their movies were showing onsite too...And yes they are somewhat celebrities of the video game world...so...

I met him and Walter Day at the Underground Retrocade in West Dundee, IL a year and a half ago. Billy is a great guy who has a lot of interesting stories to tell. We got him to do a promo for Pie Factory.

• Like 1

Say what you will about the potential quality and possible pitfalls (ha!) but that box looks reaaaaaalllllll nice.

The cardboard box? Sure, that's eye-catching, with the retro stripes and the fun angled folds.

The console itself? What's up with those switches, the way you put the cartridge in backwards, the inelegant boxiness of it ...

The cardboard box? Sure, that's eye-catching, with the retro stripes and the fun angled folds.

The console itself? What's up with those switches...

Agreed! I can't get past those switches. They make the unit look like some sort of prototype, which maybe it still is.

Where is the b&w/color switch and the difficulty switches, by the way? Handled in-software rather than with a physical switch, perhaps?

The video in this post shows a "Color" button on the back and buttons over each of the controller ports which might be difficulty buttons (I haven't watched the video with the sound on to hear if they say what the buttons are). Whatever they do, they're a nice addition to the "hodge-podge of random shit" design aesthetic.

• Like 1

Just a random thought. They haven't shown that system without a cartridge shoved in it have they?

I ask myself, if there will come a vader-version of the "RetroN 77" too, or if i must take the one with the wood-imitation on. ;)

(never had a wood "Atari VCS-2600" modell, all the time only vader-models)

The picture shown is a not a final design from what I hear. It is safe to say that many of us all want an affordable modern console to come out that will play our Atari carts. The design fits with their other consoles, and personally I like it. It probably wont be as durable as the original 2600, but what is? I just hope this is still coming out.

• Like 2