IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

From the Engadget article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/atari-2600-retron-77/

"... it plays most if not all of the original game cartridges in glorious 1080p and at a modern aspect ratio..."

So, everything is stretched out and fat? And that's good because..?

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 5

From the Engadget article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/atari-2600-retron-77/

"... it plays most if not all of the original game cartridges in glorious 1080p and at a modern aspect ratio..."

Glad you pointed that out since that line in the article irked me as well. It would be a no-brainer to default to 4:3 and have an option for 16:9 (or do away with that option altogether), but considering what Hyperkin did with the newest SupaBoy S, it's probably not a given as bizarre as that seems.

• Like 2

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

I'll never understand why people feel the entire screen HAS to be used.

• Like 4

Ill be honest and upfront Hyperkin it's about time they took their heads out of their as.... to say the least, I mean to have them make so many clones STILL issues..... NES SNES NES GEN X50

Also now suddenly no demand they claimed but made an Atari 2600 clone??????

How About a multi Atari Unit duh

A coleco unit

an Intellivision I mean the list goes on.

If I had the back round and skill, we had THESE CLONES YEARS ago and I be rich and you all be happy lol!!!!

Engadget is often wrong ... spectacularly so last year with the "Chameleon" https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/18/coleco-chameleon-atari-2600/

I certainly hope so in this case. $80 is DOA, but $40 or $50 is a no-brained pickup.

I'm the author of the Retron 77 report... he told me they were thinking around $80, but hadn't decided yet (so yes, it can change... but that's definitely what he said).

I wouldn't put too much stock in this media report, especially if the hardware (and presumably software) is in the early stages.

I actually played it in 16:9... and their stand at the show lists "16:9" as a feature on the printed materials. Though he listed a number of modes to ensure authentic retro feel (black and white etc) so much of this is likely configurable, and original aspect ratio etc. And again... yes possibly subject to change. But the report is based on actual experience.

The image didn't look terribly stretched, but not sure what method they are using for upscaling etc.

Edited by Trew
  • Like 3

OK,

So I'm awake, barely and just now hearing about this...I'm usually late to the party (physically and metaphorically)...But most parties don't really heat up until later anyway ha!

And I am super stoked!! Although some games would not play without those missing switches, even if this unit is priced higher than they expect, it would still be worth it I think. They better not throw around words about it playing all games though, unless it really does...(Not sure if this has been covered,...Just an off the cuff thought).

And I gotta agree with everyone who says the cartridge port should at least face the right direction. Unless there is some technical reason. I mean if you've just played an actual VCS, then you plug in this and start smashing your cartridges up...OK maybe we're not all Neanderthals here, but still...It would be like putting out a car but switching the brake and gas pedals just to be different.

Anyway, Overall I consider this very good news!

• Like 1

I just found out about this. Apparently I'm a little late to the party, but I submitted this as news to AtariAge anyway.

It's... kind of ugly! It looks like they tried to capture that 2600 aesthetic while keeping the boxy look of its previous Retron consoles, and it's not a good combination.

• Like 4

OK,

So I'm awake, barely and just now hearing about this...I'm usually late to the party (physically and metaphorically)...But most parties don't really heat up until later anyway ha!

And I am super stoked!! Although some games would not play without those missing switches, even if this unit is priced higher than they expect, it would still be worth it I think. They better not throw around words about it playing all games though, unless it really does...(Not sure if this has been covered,...Just an off the cuff thought).

And I gotta agree with everyone who says the cartridge port should at least face the right direction. Unless there is some technical reason. I mean if you've just played an actual VCS, then you plug in this and start smashing your cartridges up...OK maybe we're not all Neanderthals here, but still...It would be like putting out a car but switching the brake and gas pedals just to be different.

Anyway, Overall I consider this very good news!

Intellivision and Coleco should the Priority we still have parts for atari and bestelectronicsca

I'm the author of the Retron 77 report... he told me they were thinking around $80, but hadn't decided yet (so yes, it can change... but that's definitely what he said).

I actually played it in 16:9... and their stand at the show lists "16:9" as a feature on the printed materials. Though he listed a number of modes to ensure authentic retro feel (black and white etc) so much of this is likely configurable, and original aspect ratio etc. And again... yes possibly subject to change. But the report is based on actual experience.

The image didn't look terribly stretched, but not sure what method they are using for upscaling etc.

Cool, thanks for piping up! Did you happen to ask about the backwards-facing cartridge slot? :-o

• Like 1

Alas, I did not. I'm sure it's a "feature" somehow...

Heh. NES and SNES cartridges are labeled differently, it would have been fine for those (and is, for their many clones of those systems).

Did you see any other cool stuff? Tiny Cartridge linked to your story and said Hyperkin had a little SNES mouse, too. What's that about?

Heh. NES and SNES cartridges are labeled differently, it would have been fine for those (and is, for their many clones of those systems).

Did you see any other cool stuff? Tiny Cartridge linked to your story and said Hyperkin had a little SNES mouse, too. What's that about?

Hmm, will check that out. They had a weird Xbox controller with a display. I'm back at the show this afternoon, and they are right by our stage, so will take a peek.

• Like 1

Hmm, will check that out. They had a weird Xbox controller with a display. I'm back at the show this afternoon, and they are right by our stage, so will take a peek.

I've seen a bunch of stories about that -- they're bringing back the "Duke" controller. It was gargantuan and widely mocked when it was new. I guess after 17 years, some people have nostalgic feelings for it.

lddyzn7.gif

• Like 2

Looks better than the Intellivision Expansion Unit, anyways. ;) I'm sure the front-facing label is an artifact of following the conventions of other systems and appealing to gamers who might not be as familiar to the VCSs quirks. The original placement appeals to us, but It's kind of the odd one out. (Never really could understand why the labels on the Atari VCS were situated the way they were. I guess some logistical flow following the idea that the text on the end label would be legible and the cart needed to flipped connector side down, therefore the artwork would need to go upside down....instead of flipping the text label around and placing the label upside-up on the front, which would make even more sense.. no, not buying it. :P)

Another Analogue NT owner who might be tempted...

Edited by Standard User
  • Like 1