IGNORED

Sick Pickles WIP

SIO2

Tried this earlier today on the concerto loads up no problem. No sound and just stops after eating too many purple pickles. Have to do a repower to reset the game.

Reminds me of a couple games. What kind of gameplay ideas do you have?

And that is how it ran in emulation as well. Still early - have not got around to sound or much other than just getting some motion on screen.

The game is heavily inspired by 2600 Fast Food and some of it's clones. I imagine similar game play.

Thoughts on sound anyone?

I thought perhaps when the monster eats an item he could give an uhmmm or yum sound or maybe a chewing sound like 2600 Jawbreaker?

Perhaps the monster can briefly swell up after eating a purple pickle then make a fart sound and un-swell. Unswell? All is well that unswells.

If anyone has 7800bas compatible sounds they would like to contribute they would be welcome. Just keep in mind there is no guarantee where or if they will be used in the game.

Same goes for ideas about game play tweaks.

Edited by SIO2

• 2 weeks later...

sickpickles062417.bin

sickpickles062417.a78

Many changes. Improved randomization, now starts slow and increases in speed as you play and eat items, some sound added, fixed a few bugs such as you should not see items on top of each other (aside from the purple pickle which moves faster and so will cross other sprites).

Also, gave the green pickle the most weight in the score. Still avoid the purple pickles. Eat everything else as much as you can.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Worked a bit on this tonight. I am having it put items in the lanes a bit more often. I also extended the number of speed ups and increased the length of play between intermission signs. Now you must get 25 items before a speed boost and 50 items to an intermission and another speed boost.

I spent some time playing on real hardware via DevOS ram cart. It ran well and I am satisfied with the game play. For a basic FF clone, it will do.

Next upload will probably be the final freely downloadable version. If I ever make any carts, I might throw in some options as a bonus for the old schoolers.

• 3 months later...

What I am thinking is to eventually produce a version of Sick Pickles for physical release.

I noticed one person has been selling a 2600 program as a plastic bag with a PCB and printed label you have to cut out and apply to a cart shell you provide. If that were an option at a lower cost would anybody be interested in getting their copy of sick pickles that way?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271223-defend-your-castle-some-assembly-required/?do=findComment&comment=3879453

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2