IGNORED

Sick Pickles WIP

SIO2

What I am thinking is to eventually produce a version of Sick Pickles for physical release.

I noticed one person has been selling a 2600 program as a plastic bag with a PCB and printed label you have to cut out and apply to a cart shell you provide. If that were an option at a lower cost would anybody be interested in getting their copy of sick pickles that way?

Yes for sure. Cleaning the labels off is fun!! :P
  • Like 2

What I am thinking is to eventually produce a version of Sick Pickles for physical release.

I noticed one person has been selling a 2600 program as a plastic bag with a PCB and printed label you have to cut out and apply to a cart shell you provide. If that were an option at a lower cost would anybody be interested in getting their copy of sick pickles that way?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271223-defend-your-castle-some-assembly-required/?do=findComment&comment=3879453

I liked the Defend your castle idea personally!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see some people wanting a "baggie" release.

What I am thinking right now is that the "Less fancy version" already posted in this thread will be separate from the "Fancy Version" I am working on now.

I consider the "Less fancy version" complete as posted.

Game play will remain about the same between the two versions with the "Fancy Version" having additional features such as on cart instructions, an options menu and high score save to save key / atarivox.

I think the "Less fancy version" is fine for folks who want to build their own cart or play on emulator or flash cart.

So a physical release would be of the "Fancy Version". I am not planning to release the rom for the "Fancy Version". I just have not decided exactly how that physical release will be offered yet.

• 3 weeks later...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271223-defend-your-castle-some-assembly-required/?do=findComment&comment=3879453

Count me in for a "baggie" release. :)

• Like 1

The physical release is on hold for a while. Ran into a snag with the high score saves. Sometimes it seems to work and other times it doesn't. I have not been able to figure out a pattern to it or determine a probable cause yet.

I do see on the AT24C128/256 data sheet that WP (write protect) should probably be tied to ground. On my home built save keys I have let it float. I will change that on my save keys but, I also have an Atarivox + and have had issues with saves to it as well.

Anyhow, I don't want to release Sick Pickles until I get everything working well. The high score feature is a fun addition. I still hope to get it working right.

• Like 1

High Score feature is working via the Atarivox. I added the ROM to my Mateos cart. I gave it a .48K extension and it works just fine. I saved a few scores, unplugged/replugged the Vox and saved another score (screen shots below). Also tested the following joystick options: down=instructions (instructions and score table displayed) up=options. I tried several options and ended up playing most of my games with the following options:

Mouth Color: Blue

Chew Speed: Normal

Mouth Anim: 3 Cell

Everything seems to be working. I like how fast you can move around the entire playfield and prefer the 3 cell mouth animation. Now I have to pack for an early flight for work.

Thanks for posting this test ROM. :thumbsup:

post-21941-0-89898100-1512268140.jpg post-21941-0-92914700-1512268154.jpg post-21941-0-01024600-1512268170.jpg post-21941-0-81264300-1512268188.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It is time to release this game.

My plan is to make 10 of these this weekend.

Five will be complete cart only with your choice of a recycled Atari Shell or a new dark purple 3D printed shell for $28 price includes shipping in the USA. Foreign shipping may be higher.

Five will be populated PCB with a cut it out yourself label only for $18 price includes shipping in USA. Foreign shipping may be higher.

The binary used will be essentially the spfv12022017.bin posted above with a few minor changes. 1. All intermission texts have changed. 2. The title screen will be final. 3. A "god" mode is added on the options menu. In god mode you can not die.

The people who have participated by posting in this thread so far will have first shot at a cart or PCB and any left after that will go in the order requested.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2

post-37734-0-45654500-1532819109_thumb.jpg

I really did spend all day with these. Sigh. I am so slow and fussy.

Anyhow, not sure if they are translating as purple on your screen. They are very dark purple which reads purple in very bright light. Less than bright light, they look almost black.

Remember, this is a homebrew project and these are not perfect by any means. I had the shells printed and they are nice shells but they have a few bumps on them. I have not operated a 3D printer before but I have watched it on the internet. This cart design has a string of plastic that runs across the label side of the cart leaving a ridge. I think that is where the extrusion head homed after completing the print. I tried to sand it down as best as I could but there may be some bumps in the labels and on the carts themselves. So, be aware of that.

It looked like most people were going for the purple cart so I just made up the five purple shells I had.

I am ready for a rest now but, I will review the requests soon and contact people by pm to arrange the details.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 4