IGNORED

65XE with Omniview ROMs - colors wrong

Hi guys,

Recently purchased an Atari 65XE that has the Omniview XE roms in it. Things seem to be working ok, but when I power the machine on, instead of the READY screen being blue, it is green. Video seems to be ok, so I am wondering if it may be due to the ROM.

Looking at the manual, it seems you can change the colors for 80 column mode, but I didn't see anything for changing it in 40 color mode. I wanted to use this 65XE as a gaming machine so that I could put my 800XL away, but the color issue seems to be affecting other graphics modes as well. I should note, other colors seems fine. I am using the composite (monitor) port with a composite cable. I have confirmed the cable works ok with the 800XL. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Cliff

The Omniview and Omnimon OSes have different default text background colour. The emulator Roms I've got here use dark blue but I think I've seen a machine where it's been green.

A quick/easy way to check your colour adjustment is right is to start up with Basic.

Type:

SE. 2,9,4

should give the default light blue background most people are used to.

If you're not getting the proper colour then it's likely your colour pot needs adjusting, it's accessable from under the machine with a small slotted screwdriver.

Colour adjustment is best done with a screen displaying colour bars, there's various programs including quick type-ins that can do it.

• Like 2

Thanks. I adjusted the color pot and the color is good now. Unfortunately, now the keyboard seems to be half working. I've tried reseating the cable, which looks like it has a good connection, but some of the big keys (Option, Select, Start) and some of the letter keys aren't working. I am getting a replacement for it now. Anyone happen to know anybody that will refurbish old XE keyboards? I would rather send it to someone so that they can fix it and give/sell it to someone else rather than throw it away. Please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by Cliff Friedel

Have you tried a bit of rubbing alcohol on the contacts at the end of the ribbon for the keyboard just in case there's a little oxidation on the connector?

Its unlikely but its easy to do and costs nothing (if you have the rubbing alcohol)..

Being that its the more used keys on the keyboard it does sound like its wear and tear, some people have bananas instead of fingers and club the keyboard to death, in the end the keys die.

Its not called touch typing for nothing :)