IGNORED

Immortal John Hancock on Youtube

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 12:24 AM, power said:

I really enjoyed this video, the atari 8 bit line never got enough love in the shade of the C64 which many atari fans think was over rated.

I have yet to watch the video. But..

Back in the day we tended to prefer the Atari 8-bit version (of arbitrary game) vs the C64 verison. This was in a time when we too young to be fanbois or know anything about bias or marketing & politics. We just played and we knew what was good.

When it comes to the Atari 2600 vs 8-bit computers it was also clear-cut but in a different way. The action was always quick on both platforms, but, naturally, the VCS versions had a different style, a simpler style I suppose. But here we liked them equally. And we enjoyed the variations. The contrast.

11 hours ago, Keatah said:

I have yet to watch the video. But..

Back in the day we tended to prefer the Atari 8-bit version (of arbitrary game) vs the C64 verison. This was in a time when we too young to be fanbois or know anything about bias or marketing & politics. We just played and we knew what was good.

When it comes to the Atari 2600 vs 8-bit computers it was also clear-cut but in a different way. The action was always quick on both platforms, but, naturally, the VCS versions had a different style, a simpler style I suppose. But here we liked them equally. And we enjoyed the variations. The contrast.

The C64 absolutely dominated the market - that's a fact, i don't even know what you are arguing.

23 hours ago, Keatah said:

Oh I'm just saying we preferred the Atari 400/800 because of the smoothness and speed of the games. It's what we liked. Who cares what dominated what.

I don't, but I said the Atari didn't get enough love. I still don't know what you are arguing.

It's nice that you were exposed to each machine, that market dominance i'm referring to meant that the majority of the market didn't even get to experience both machines. "We just played what was good" - that's nice, most people bought one machine and that was the experience they had no picking and choosing.

I grew up in a small town and I was literally the only person that had Atari, i knew tons of families that had C64. People just chose what was popular.

I hated picking and choosing stuff. Videogaming at my house was a rather simple affair at first. Intellivision or VCS. Apple II computing was also available, but it was a computer. So it was different. And it was fun. A warm cozy experience on Friday nights in the winter and especially extended no-school weekends.

Soon enough we  had jobs and were able to afford more platforms. Atari 8-bit, C64, Colecovision, Vectrex, Astrocade.. You name it. Between me and my buddies there wasn't a platform missed.

But the fun factor didn't increase linearly with the amount of systems and carts and peripherals. We kept hoping it would. It soon became a real chore keeping up with everything. Determining what to get, getting it, and cataloging it all was a job in and of itself that didn't pay squat. We quit toward the late 80's and that was that. I moved on to real computers (for better or worse) like the PC.

Soon enough we  had jobs and were able to afford more platforms. Atari 8-bit, C64, Colecovision, Vectrex, Astrocade.. You name it. Between me and my buddies there wasn't a platform missed.

But the fun factor didn't increase linearly with the amount of systems and carts and peripherals. We kept hoping it would. It soon became a real chore keeping up with everything.

This is what my gaming life has felt like over the past few years, except I haven’t had the time of an adolescent. I tried the emulation route to try and minimize this but the pain of setting up controllers and always teaching my kids how to use the emulators has driven me back to consoles time and time again.

This is what my gaming life has felt like over the past few years, except I haven’t had the time of an adolescent. I tried the emulation route to try and minimize this but the pain of setting up controllers and always teaching my kids how to use the emulators has driven me back to consoles time and time again.

Although I just purchased a Wii U again because it looks like the console that has the answer to this problem as you can cold boot into your emulator and inject the games permanently on the desktop. Who knew?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 2:54 PM, widowsson said:

Is there a compete Odyssey set for the Handcock museum and/or video of it all?

Magnavox Odyssey 2 Is complete but am missing the last releases for The Original Magnavox Odyssey.   Also, name is spelled Hancock ;).  

Edited by swlovinist