IGNORED

TI(ny)-99/4A Computer

That's done, the TIny-99/4A micro-computer is finalized :-). It has successfully passed many tests of compatibility with this TI-99 / 4A, as well as all the tests of stability. To tell you all, for testing purpose, the Tiny99/4A has replaced my daily TI-99/4A since 3 months and I have noticed no problem.

tiny994a-assembled.jpg

The new (metallic) chassis now contains the power supply, allowing the installation of two floppy drives and two PEB expansion cards. The cartridge port has been moved to the left. The switch switch at the front of the computer is for normal/turbo mode. Another feature: The TIny-99 / 4A is powered up by pressing a key on the extended keyboard.

The icing on the cake, I have designed two covers: one in aluminium, the other modeled with 3D printer, that I will receive soon.

I'm happy to have carry out this project. It was fun. The next one will surely be an enhanced version of the TIny-99/4A.
  • Like 16

Thank you :')

The TIny-99/4A emerged as a personal fun project, no public production has been initialy planed. At the very first time, I launched the production of five PCB because it was the minimal quantity accepted by the PCB manufacturer. Then, I have received kind messages from Europe and United State people who wish to get the Tiny99/4A. Of course, I will be happy to please them, to share the fun I have when I use my computer. So, I am thinking about the (reasonable) price that I could sell the TIny-99/4A considering that I will only propose a ready-to-play computer, and integrating only 80 years components as the project has been conceived, imagined.
The kit will contain:
- TIny-99/4A Motherboard, fully populated
- 2 slots 90° riser extender expansion card
- 90° slot cartridge connector
- 74 keys mechanical extended Keyboard
- Installation and configuration manual.
Optional: A ready-to-use small form factor Power Supply delivering +12v,-12v, +5V and -5V tensions.

I think that some people will prefer to order a non-populated TIny-99/4A PCB. I apologise in advance, I will not do because It not amuses me (I like to do the work until the end). I am conscient that I could sell more PCB if I propose them non-populated but, as I said before this project has never be thought as commercial purpose. Sell less or very few does not matter to me.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 3

Thank you :')

The TIny-99/4A emerged as a personal fun project, no public production has been initialy planed. At the very first time, I launched the production of five PCB because it was the minimal quantity accepted by the PCB manufacturer. Then, I have received kind messages from Europe and United State people who wish to get the Tiny99/4A. Of course, I will be happy to please them, to share the fun I have when I use my computer. So, I am thinking about the (reasonable) price that I could sell the TIny-99/4A considering that I will only propose a ready-to-play computer, and integrating only 80 years components as the project has been conceived, imagined.

The kit will contain:

- TIny-99/4A Motherboard, fully populated

- 2 slots 90° riser extender expansion card

- 90° slot cartridge connector

- 74 keys mechanical extended Keyboard

- Installation and configuration manual.

Optional: A ready-to-use small form factor Power Supply delivering +12v,-12v, +5V and -5V tensions.

I think that some people will prefer to order a non-populated TIny-99/4A PCB. I apologise in advance, I will not do because It not amuses me (I like to do the work until the end). I am conscient that I could sell more PCB if I propose them non-populated but, as I said before this project has never be thought as commercial purpose. Sell less or very few does not matter to me.

Fabrice, you can place me on that list. I place my order today, thanks for loving our old lady, the TI99/4A.

PS. This would go into my tower with my RAVE PEB board and Geneve, if I do get one. :)

Edited by RickyDean

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the delay. I would like to give you some news about my TIny-99/4A computer. I had to modify it to make it compatible with the excellent FinalGrom card. I also brought new features like a 32Kb user ROM space (it can contains as we want: E/A program, FDC tools or any else ROM base programs), a Real Time Clock, 3 slots for PEB cards, the PCB is even more tiny (8.42" x 9.52"). So it has been totally redesigned. I will send the gerber files to a manufacturer at the end of january to produce the PCB.

Here is a 3D picture of the finalized PCB (v2.4), with description in... French, but easily comprehensive :-)

tiny994av2-4b.jpg

• Like 20

Id like to buy a completed system, if perhaps one day you happen to make an extra one. :)

It would be the most prominent computer in all my house. :)

I would be willing to donate 3 TIs and 2 PEBs for you to use for parts if needed... This, of course, would be in addition to whatever price you deem appropriate for sale of this magnificent piece of kit.

Im blown away, fabrice. This is amazing work!