IGNORED

TI(ny)-99/4A Computer

Thank you Urbite!

I received (and populated) the mini PCB for the SAMS memory expansion and the derivation of the cartridge connector (to fix on the case). So I can say that the electronic part of the computer is nearly completed, I am just waiting the keyboard PCB that I have realized and ordered.

The small PC case that I had in sight to adapt it to my TIny-99/4A v2 motherboard is out of stock, I have to wait for it to be available.

In the waiting I have made another case for the motherboard, a case which I planned to make later for a fully loaded setup, equipped with two 3.5" floppy drives and two SCSI hard drives. This Flex-ATX PC case is a little larger than the first one.

The case is based on the Corsair Carbide Air 240, healy modified: The metal plate that holds the motherboard has been lowered to permits the housing of TI cards (they are higher than PC cards), holes cut on the front panel for the floppy disk drives and the cartridge port, and for Turbo LED segments too. Creation of a metallic cage for disk drives and a dock for inserting cartridges. The rear side has been modified too, for accessing to the several connectors (vidéo, joystick, keyboard, ...). Note that it's just a proof of concept and not an official computer case. The motherbard will be available with a SAMS card, a cartridge extender connector, power cables and a keyboard but without a case.

Here is a picture:

tiny-994a-v2-desktop-2-small.jpg

Fabrice,

Just for my understanding. You indicated a SAMS card would be included. Does this mean this will take up one of the slots, or as I recall, I thought you previously indicated SAMS was built into the mother board?

Nice looking unit.

I hope there is someone here that may work with you and be able to fabricate ready to purchase cases where your mother board drops into. Not knowing how much effort it takes and to do a quality job, I would be willing to pay someone to do it right so I do not have to do it.

Beery

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you so much !
The SAMS card is a mini card that just contains SRAM chips (all the SAMS logic is on the motherboard) and that goes into a special slot located neart the VDP chips. So, SAMS does not use the three expansion slots.

I had not enough room to place these SRAM chips directly on the motherboard considering the small size of the PCB. The number of components is really very high regarding the small size of the motherboard.

I will take a photography of it this week end, but you already can have an idea by seeing this drawing of its PCB.

SAMSRAM-A001.jpg

About the case. I have written down all the steps to arrive to this result. It will helps all people who will want to get the same computer as mine. I could produce some other cases like this one but I wonder where I could find time for that. Building motherboard is already a time-consuming work.
In addition, this kind of case is not really heavy but its weight (and the one of the packaging) will be taken into consideration. This will add shipping costs.

• Like 6

I am very very excited, fabrice. Many of us were talking about your system at the Faire this weekend, and hoping it soon becomes available.

This is as much a piece of art as it is a console.... I'm no expert, but I know "badass" when I see it, and this little beauty is the truest pinnacle of function and form I've seen in this hobby to date.

Pins and needles, my friend.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Just a few lines to give some news about the TIny-99/4A v2. Now, 3 motherboards have been build, fully tested (in TMS9918A and TMS9929A configuration). I wish I could make a last test before proposing the motherboard to public: the compatibity with the next F18 MKII upgrade. Normally, there are no reasons why the motherboard refuses to work with, but by making a test, I would have been reassured. Maybe Matthew will be able to propose the MKII soon, in this case I prefer to wait its availability. Otherwise, I will make the Tiny-99/4A v2 available next few weeks for those interested in it, a page on my website will inform the sales conditions with price.

• Like 19

Just a few lines to give some news about the TIny-99/4A v2. Now, 3 motherboards have been build, fully tested (in TMS9918A and TMS9929A configuration). I wish I could make a last test before proposing the motherboard to public: the compatibity with the next F18 MKII upgrade. Normally, there are no reasons why the motherboard refuses to work with, but by making a test, I would have been reassured. Maybe Matthew will be able to propose the MKII soon, in this case I prefer to wait its availability. Otherwise, I will make the Tiny-99/4A v2 available next few weeks for those interested in it, a page on my website will inform the sales conditions with price.

Can't wait!

Fabrice, how many boards are you planning to have available for sale in total?

Fabrice I want to ask you question about F18a add on in our TI99/4a. Have you predict possibility to put F18a instead TMS9981A? I would like to use my VGA monitor with F18a features with your TI(ny)99/4a jewel.

I would be very happy to use F18a in your TI(ny)99/4a.

Please forgive me if you have answer to this question some place earlier. I'am big fan of your work.

Edited by Manic1975