IGNORED

TI(ny)-99/4A Computer

HDMI out? SID support. WiFi tipi and USB?

This computer only uses year 80 technologies, based on corrected TI-99/4A schematics, integrating features that were optionnals or proposed by third-party companies for the 99/4A in year 80-90. it's my initial will, my pleasure.

So here, no USB, no WIFI, no ARM, no FPGA, no HDMI or any other modern technogies. That said, I made this computer to react as the real 99/4A, so I suppose they should work on it too.

One question Fabrice: Is the keyboard going to be QWERTY like the original US version or will you have different geographic variants?

Only my prototype extended keyboard is AZERTY. The final extended keyboard is QWERTY to respect the spirit of the original computer :)

• Like 8

Wow impressive! Do not want to sidetrack, but what would it take to make a tomy tutor version of the keyboard?

Thank you :)

I have never studied the keypress decoding operations on the Tomy Tutor (alas, never found the Tutor schematics) but, as this computer doesn't use the TMS9901, I can say that my extended keyboard will not work with the Tutor.

Edited by fabrice montupet

"this computer doesn't use the TMS9901"...

How can one call a system TI-99/4a compatible(just kidding, sort of) w/o a good ol' 9901... :twisted:

...If you're not going to install the 9901, perhaps you should remove it from the parts list ...to save on production costs! ;-) :D

He means the Tomy Tutor doesn't use the 9901 ... ;-)

• Like 1

It has been difficult... to find a way to indicate my emotional relationship to the direction your TI project has followed. Perhaps something somewhat akin to jealousy. I believe I have some idea just how much of themselves one can put into their efforts. After due considerations and having reviewed this entire topic, your work has earned my highest ranking... "TOPS".

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay of my answer, I am very busy since some weeks.

About the Tiny-99/4A v2 computer:

I am face to little problems: All the IC suppliers that I have contacted have not answered to my tariff request. It's incredible! Maybe they are too rich ;) So, I have to contact new suppliers.
The keyboard that I have developped for the computer is mainly based on the Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX keyboard (plus the numpad). Once again, I have difficulties to find the keycaps for it, and for a reasonable price.
As the TI-99/4A keys writings differs from the PC keys, I have to find white letters/numbers/punctuation stickers. I still haven't found the good ones.

I finally wonder if I shouldn't propose the TIny-99/4A v2 as bare motherboard and keyboard PCBs. Sure, I will be a little bit desapointed but if I don't find a serious serious IC supplier, I will make this decision.

Tomorrow I wil take a picture of the finalized keybard (the serial product). To my mind, it is very pleasant ! Hope it will be appreciated by all :)

• Like 11

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay of my answer, I am very busy since some weeks.

About the Tiny-99/4A v2 computer:

I am face to little problems: All the IC suppliers that I have contacted have not answered to my tariff request. It's incredible! Maybe they are too rich ;) So, I have to contact new suppliers.

The keyboard that I have developped for the computer is mainly based on the Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX keyboard (plus the numpad). Once again, I have difficulties to find the keycaps for it, and for a reasonable price.

As the TI-99/4A keys writings differs from the PC keys, I have to find white letters/numbers/punctuation stickers. I still haven't found the good ones.

I finally wonder if I shouldn't propose the TIny-99/4A v2 as bare motherboard and keyboard PCBs. Sure, I will be a little bit desapointed but if I don't find a serious serious IC supplier, I will make this decision.

Tomorrow I wil take a picture of the finalized keybard (the serial product). To my mind, it is very pleasant ! Hope it will be appreciated by all :)

We all appreciate all your efforts. I am sure it would be disappointing not to be able to offer the product as you see it. I know even if it's offered as a bare build it yourself board TI'ers are going to jump on it. I know I will.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 2

I think offering a bare PCB would be a great idea. Many of us have parts already and I certainly wouldn't mind sourcing my own parts.

Plus, this give me the option of "buying it in payments". Meaning, that I may not have the money to buy the board and all components at once but I could spread those acquisitions out over time. Many times, I make small orders from Mouser and add misc components that I need from many projects.

Thanks for all that you do.

• Like 8

Fabrice,

Thank you for all of your hard work developing such an elegant design! I, for one, would be more interested in bare PCBs as it would allow me the pleasure of building it myself. That alone would help justify the price of the computer.

Edited by mglafond

I guess I am a bit more interested in one built. What kind of price range would that be? Just trying to get an idea if it is $50 USD <grin> or $1,000 USD? Just a ballpark figure as I know you are still trying to get best pricing on parts.

Beery

• Like 1

I'll take one either way you go with it, Fabrice. If it is a bare one, I will have a lot of fun assembling it (and using it too), and if it is fully assembled, I will enjoy looking at the beauty of your work (and using it). I win either way! :) Thank you for doing this. . .

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Thank you for your interest.
The development of the TIny-99/4A v2 is completed, the computer is fully working. For testings, it became the most used 99/4A system used among my 99/x computers.  I made some modifications on the design of the PCB for a futur production. These modifications have no incidence on the operations of the computer, they are just optimization on some traces routing.
Here, no low cost FPGA or no other low cost modern components. Here, all is original, the TIny-99/4A computer could have been produced in 1983.
My wishes: All component have to be new, years 80 dated (new old stock), not low cost Chinese copies, not fakes. Brands have to be known for their quality.
I only problem is that is is impossible to find a component supplier that could supply in one order all the components that I need because of a lack of available stocks. So, I will have to order components to several worldwide suppliers resulting to grow up the product price of the computer.  I tried to find different suppliers during some months to reduce costs but in all cases, the price of the computer is very high.  At this time, we can estimate that the TIny-99/4A v2.6 (including its extended keyboard and SAMS RAM) will be sold at a price about 650$ US. An arm and a leg.

That said, this project was not designed to be a commercial product.   All Price and sells never came into consideration, this purpose of this project was my entertainment and fun.

• Like 11