fabrice montupet

TI(ny)-99/4A Computer

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Finally, I have chosen the V9958 as the standard VDP of the computer. Hope that I have made the good choice.  And I have just finished its integration and the 128 Kb of VRAM on the motherboard. Of course, it will be possible to upgrade the VRAM to 192 Kb by piggybacking two DRAMs, I have placed a pin header for CASx). I had to greatly modify the routing of the motherboard, it was an opportunity to rethink the SAMS 1MB Memory Extension part (expandable to 4MB). Now a daughter card is no longer necessary, all the RAM memories of the SAMS extension are integrated into the motherboard (so an even more tiny motherboard 🙂 ).

Note that the working V2.5 motherboard has a TMS-9918A/29A VDP

Here is a drawing showing the final organization of the TIny-99/4A v2.9. The presence of a cartridge gives a better idea of computer size:

tiny994av2_9.jpg

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

These last modifications complete the development of the microcomputer...finally!

Looks like beautiful work, Fabrice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always wondered why the mouse is so rarely used (among all systems with 9938). The mouse has a simple interface and works reliably, with two buttons (via 9938).

Edit: Just to explain, the 9958 has no option for connecting a mouse. In turn, it has some more features and a larger color palette. I noticed that the EVPC2 already allowed for using the 9958 instead of the 9938, also explaining that the mouse interface was rarely used. If I had written more programs for the Geneve, I would have tried to employ the mouse as often as possible, but so it's just one major program (Fractals), which actually needs the mouse. So is it really the better graphics, the problems to still find a suitable mouse, or the availability of the chip?

Regardless of the 9938/9958 decision, this is certainly a fantastic work of Fabrice.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

Finally, I have chosen the V9958 as the standard VDP of the computer. Hope that I have made the good choice.  And I have just finished its integration and the 128 Kb of VRAM on the motherboard. Of course, it will be possible to upgrade the VRAM to 192 Kb by piggybacking two DRAMs, I have placed a pin header for CASx). I had to greatly modify the routing of the motherboard, it was an opportunity to rethink the SAMS 1MB Memory Extension part (expandable to 4MB). Now a daughter card is no longer necessary, all the RAM memories of the SAMS extension are integrated into the motherboard (so an even more tiny motherboard 🙂 ).

Note that the working V2.5 motherboard has a TMS-9918A/29A VDP

Here is a drawing showing the final organization of the TIny-99/4A v2.9. The presence of a cartridge gives a better idea of computer size:

tiny994av2_9.jpg

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

These last modifications complete the development of the microcomputer...finally!

C'est magnifique! Merci beaucoup, Fabrice!

• Like 2

Thank you all so much!

Now the development is end, I will able to find the suppliers for all the components, only good quality ones will be retained. I'll do my best to find the better price and I will back to you to tell you.
I have hesitated a long time between the V9938 and the V9958 because of the mouse support on the first one. But the horizontal & vertical hardware scrolling and the better again palette gained the upper hand. And I concluded that a mouse could be added using a serial card installed the an expansion slot. Yes, all the 3 slots are fully PEBOX compatible. Besides you can see on all the videos that a TI PHP1220 and a TI PHP1240 are installed on the Tiny-99/4A v2.

• Like 12