IGNORED

Rent an Atari Falcon?

So seeing that Atari Falcon's are now stupid expensive ( > $1,000 USD ) based on recent ebay sales. Is anyone going to offer a service to rent them? :)

My interest in Falcon is just in getting a few hours of experience with one of these machines, just for the feel. Maybe play a few games.. I guess emulator it is.

Anyway if anyone read this - what kind of monitors would Falcon 030 users have been using back in the mid 1990s? standard 14-15" VGA monitors? were there any Atari monitors appropriate for use with a Falcon?

John

Mine came with a 14" Fujitech SVGA mono monitor (that would do greyscale). I have to say, that even though it was mono the quality was really good and it was really nice for prolonged hours of work. Later I upgraded to a 15" Viewsonic color SVGA. I'd think you idea is correct, most users would use a vga monitor, even though most early games and demos would require RGB.

If you have a really fast machine, Hatari is getting good at falcon emulation, but far from perfect. Still it should give you a feeling on how things would work.

• Like 1

Ideally, the type of monitor you would want is a multisync that can handle both VGA and RGB. Like Chris said, many early games and demos (as well as ST games) require RGB. Multisyncs are getting quite hard to find though.