IGNORED

New keyboard membranes

Duddie

Guys, if any of you would like to be put on the orders list, please send an email to jurek (at) retronics (dot) eu, or via PM. I need your declaration of purchase (what item, quantity) and shipping address (plus e-mail). If I collect enough orders, I may then start production.

Hi Duddie!

Read through this...

Is the 1200XL possible? If so, is there more than one type? How can we identify what we have?

Most importantly, would a new membrane cure the normal 1200XL keyboard issues (anybody, especially Bob1200XL). I know that I've fixed several with the "Make-a-trace" marker, but that is not a really good long-term repair.

-Larry

All 1200 & 1400xx that I have ever seen use the same Mitsumi keyboard. Best Electronics has mylars for them. That is almost always the problem.

It would not hurt to make more, because Best may run out eventually.

I would love one for my original 800 Mitsumi (which, is sadly different from the above mentioned ones).

Just curious-

What usually causes the mylar to fail (especially 1200XL's)? Is it mechanical fracturing, trace damaged? Or?

-Larry

The near-universal failure mode for 1200XL keyboard Mylars is at the contact points for the ribbon cable to the rest of the system. By and large, the key contacts and traces are fine. The fix is annoying and time consuming but easy. Well documented for years on retrobits.net

• 1 month later...

I would be very interested to know if Original 800 ones will be available.

Others with this same question should speak up NOW.

:)

Bit late, but not too late to say I'd like one too, even if the mylar are fixable, it can never hurt to have a brand new one that will last another 30 years (by that time, I won't be able to type anymore anyway.... :D )

So please do a run of Atari 800 Mitsumi mylar please :)

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I need your help, guys. Is anybody able to ship (I will cover shipping cost) even failed membranes for Atari 800, Atari 400, Atari 1200XL, please? I need them for developing new membranes. Can send them back after that.

I need your help, guys. Is anybody able to ship (I will cover shipping cost) even failed membranes for Atari 800, Atari 400, Atari 1200XL, please? I need them for developing new membranes. Can send them back after that.

I have a non-working 400 keyboard I can send you if you cannot get one locally. I am in USA, and you won't have to ship it back. If you're interested, just send me a PM, and I can get it over to you.

• Like 1

I have a 1200xl membrane, but I'm in the USA. Let me know if you want it- no need to return it.

• Like 1

You still waiting for an 800 membrane? I've got one that I botched some repairs on... does it matter if its ripped a little? if not, ill pay to send it and no need to send it back.

Hope this turns out to be useable as I don't have a spare but would be interested in a replacement for 800 Mitsumi.

Duddie,? would high resolution picture be useful? For your request have torn apart 3 different 130XE keyboards and they are all different... and now after putting them back together, they also do not work, I guess they were too fragile after all these years. It would appear that disturbing them has caused micro fissures and put the resistance either too far out of range or created opens altogether. The traces look ok to the eye but pressure and twisting makes them work and not work. I wonder if creating silk screens and inking them with conductive paste would do the trick to remake them

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yes Jurgen. AFAIK, there are 5 different XL keyboards, four of them have membranes. But it is the same membrane.

Hi,

did you offer these types now? I would take some. Have over 5 defective keyboards (Stackpole for 800XL) i.e. defective mylars...

BR Jurgen

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have got all membranes: 800, 400, 1200XL. In January I will be working on them to run production. I will calculate costs, and then I will ask you to pre-order to see if interest is enough to invest quite big amount of money....

• Like 4

did you get all the XE membranes as well, XE's need more mylars than any machine out there... the more mylar sets you get the better deal you can work for them...

you have not pm'd me. if you did you would have had multiple variants of the membranes already...

Edited by _The Doctor__