IGNORED

PhoenixEmuProject or IrataJaguar Emulator(Based off Phoenix)

sandroace

Anyone tried this? I got the new Phoenix emulator to test 3DO Games and realized it also plays Jaguar games. The compatibility is quite high, the few games I tested all seem to work with minimal if any glitches at all. The problem is that it is in Russian and thus am unable to navigate through the emulator at all really and in the case of Irata it appears you have to pay for it. Not much like $6.00 or something like that but still. Anyhow, anyone else here heard or played with this emulator?

• Like 1

That's cool, I hadn't heard of this emu before. Says there's a 95% compatibility rate with Jag games.

According to this post there's an English translation file to dump into the main folder. I did it and it works great.

The games run slow on my Windows laptop but I might try the Linux version on a 64 bit machine to see if it's better.

Here's an English translation of the download page.

Thanks for the heads up :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks for the English file!! I've had this emu for quite a while but just today saw the Jag support and it works quite well though slow for me as well. Still this is a huge step toward proper Jaguar emulation. Hopefully this gets the word out and more and more people use which hopefully bring more development to this emulator!!

Been trying it out. Some stuff seems to work pretty well, other stuff not so much. Controls in the games that work seems very laggy, and some games have problems with sound. The emulator is far from being user friendly. I haven't done anything near comprehensive testing, but as I see it right now, the claims of 95% compatibility seem greatly exaggerated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So I bought it and was quite amazed. On my standard off the shelf Android phone from 2016, the T-Mobile Galaxy Core Prime, I got this result:

Intro screen took 26 seconds to play. This is 9 second longer than the standard 17 seconds which means on a low end Android the emulation is running at 65% emulation.

The big problem with ANY game on a smart phone are the controls. You can set them up to a good configuration, like on the Lynx emulator, but the problem is controlling AND hitting a fire button. Just doesn't work well.

Still not sure why the volume rocker button couldn't be used for left and right and the man button at the bottom be used for firing?

Or it would be cool if other controls could be plugged up, like the Smartboy.

But for a Jaguar emulator, not bad and worth the $5 to try out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was curious to see how this Project Phoenix compares to Virtual Jaguar, so I spent sometime installing it and trying it out with a few commercial ROMs and homebrews.

PP definitely had a higher rate of compatibility, but it also runs much slower, to the point where games are really no fun and unplayable - maybe a half or a third of console speed?

I think I will stick with VJ or better yet, the real console. I do hope these guys continue support and can improve the performance.

I was curious to see how this Project Phoenix compares to Virtual Jaguar, so I spent sometime installing it and trying it out with a few commercial ROMs and homebrews.

PP definitely had a higher rate of compatibility, but it also runs much slower, to the point where games are really no fun and unplayable - maybe a half or a third of console speed?

I think I will stick with VJ or better yet, the real console. I do hope these guys continue support and can improve the performance.

This also depends on your system specs. I use Phoenix as well. I have a 2.3 GHZ core i7 with 24 GB of RAM and it runs all games at full speed for me. Also there is an English patch

http://ngemu.com/threads/phoenix-project-3do-emulator-translated-into-english.191753/

Not being smart here, genuinely curious...

you've tried all 49 releases? I'm interested in overall compatibility as I'll be upgrading my PC next year.

no. I have only tried the latest version. I'm not sure about the history of the emulator. The version I am running is in the same link I provided above.

Be very careful of his definitions of "working" and "full speed".

Whatever dude. Shouldn't you be busy making the beat ......mmmmm drop?

Was referring to testing the 49 or so commercial games released.

Ah yes. I have tested the majority of them. Not all, It's easier to list what I haven't tested. I haven't tested any of the sports games (WMCJ included), supercross 3D, Club Drive, zoop, worms (hate that F#CK3R lol) and neither of the 2 pinball games. Everything else I have tried has worked great.

• 1 month later...

I have to ask, why? I loved Scorched Earth for DOS, this is pretty much that.. with worms lol. Just boring?

I just didn't like the graphics style and the controls. I'm sure if I gave it a fair chance and got past those things I could have some fun out of it. Unfortunately for me the controls are a deal breaker, thats why I turned against Nintendo after playing Starfox Zero for the Wii U. Weird controls that don't feel intuitive.