IGNORED

Keith Robinson passed away :(

He was the best!

I'd like to share my favorite Keith story, we were running CGE 2K14 and I was standing in the expo hall on setup day with my hotel/convention rep discussing how well everyone was following the rules and she was agreeing that this was a break from some of the more chaotic shows they have had. One rule that we had to abide by was no vehicles in the expo hall, the reason being the unions wanted tens of thousands of dollars to lay down protective plastic, over the carpet rated for vehicle travel, if vehicles were in the hall they wanted their windfall of cash. Just as were having this discussion Keith comes in hot right past the guy I posted at the door to make sure vehicles did not come in, he whips right by us on the way to the booth with a load of the Intellivision flashbacks doing like 30Mph indoors with that huge santa claus smile he always had. I look at my rep like I am about to be beheaded and she says, don't worry, this is not a problem.

Were gonna miss the big guy!

I remember that "incident". The memory brings a smile to my face.

• Like 2

I am incredibly saddened to hear this news. Mr. Robinson was a great guy, and a huge influence on my childhood. I will aways have special memories of Intellivision and that's largely thanks to him and the Blue Sky Rangers. I encountered him several times at E3 and various retro gaming conventions. He was always a gracious gentleman. This was a guy who really loved his work and it showed. I remember seeing him driving around Los Angeles one time in a convertible. I started freaking out because it was the first time I saw him in person. I will always appreciate everything he did for the Intellivision brand and for retro gaming in general. He will be dearly missed.

• Like 1

I'm not seeing anything at the Facebook link except some basic biographical information (perhaps because I don't have an account), but I'm very sad to hear of Keith Robinson's passing. I didn't grow up with the Intellivision, but I knew of it and "admired it from afar" as a kid. I picked up the first version of the Intellivision Lives collection on CD-ROM in the late 1990s, and it did an amazing job of introducing the Intellivision and the people behind it. By the time I got my first Intellivision system, I felt as if I'd been playing it all my life, and I've since collected most of the original games and all of the Intellivision Productions releases.

I greatly appreciate the way that Keith took care of the Intellivision over the years, always using the newest technologies—emulation, dedicated TV-game consoles, mobile platforms complete with touchable controller overlays, etc.—to reach new fans. It's a stark contrast to the way that certain other prominent classic gaming properties have been treated recently: instead of being broken up and milked dry by one buyer after another, the Intellivision properties have always stayed together and close to the original creators, who have remained passionate about the Intellivision and positively engaged with the fans. I always loved hearing Keith's interviews and roundtable discussions from CGE; his enthusiasm was infectious, and always made me want to fire up the Intellivision again. I exchanged a few e-mails with him about the Mattel Aquarius as I was working on my Aquaricart project, and he very generously answered some questions that only he could have answered.

I'm glad that I took the opportunity to thank him while I had the chance, and to get an autographed copy of Intellivision Lives DS and an autographed print of his original artwork for Intellivision Diner. Both will always have a prominent place in my game room.

• Like 2

I've gotten to know Keith very well over the past 6 years or so. I'd met him and talked to him a few times at Classic Gaming Expos, and initially became friends with him through my other friends at the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast. But it wasn't until I got the idea to start The Intellivisionaries back in late 2012 that I really got to know him. I had a lunch meeting with him, and his VP Emily to discuss my ideas, and to ask if he wanted to be involved. He was supportive from the beginning, getting behind the idea and introducing me to many of the former programmers I've interviewed on the show. And as most of you here know, he's been on the show himself many times. He loved doing the 'Questions For Keith" segments; although with his long answers, it was difficult to get to all the questions! I still have a list we never managed to go through.

We've gone to arcade and retro gaming events together, he's been to the house several times for recording and just to hang out in the garage arcade. He was a genuinely nice guy who was incredibly enthusiastic about Intellivision, and the 'golden era' of gaming, which we all love so much. He always had a smile on his face, and a joke in his back pocket. A real pleasure to be around. I'd go to his office occasionally to help with some IT issues, or drop off some Flashback adapter cables, and the next thing you know, 2 hours had gone by because he had started telling stories of the good old days at Mattel, and I had to stay to hear them.

He has been in and out of the hospital for the past several months, but didn't want to publicize that. He was dealing with congestive heart failure, and that big old heart of his finally gave out at about 3:00 am Pacific on June 14th. I talked to him last Friday, and was going to help him with a few networking issues at his place this week, but I never heard back from him. And it was only this afternoon that Emily let me know what had happened. I still can't really believe it. And I'm sure many of you are feeling the same way right now.

We're planning to record something in the next few days for the podcast to talk about Keith, and what he and his support of the Intellivision and retro gaming meant to all of us. He was an amazingly talented man, and will be sorely missed by many. Rest in Peace, Keith.

• Like 20

Please tell us how you recall it! For me it is a lifetime keeper! I had no idea anyone but myself and Darla saw it.

My story is not as good as yours but here goes. My wife and I had arrived early to the Riviera hotel. A day or so before CGE was to start, I wandered down to the 1st floor to find where the event's location. To my surprise, the doors to the vendor hall were open so I peeked inside and watched folks set up. Being only an attendee and not a vendor, I was not allowed into the vendor hall by the CGE guy manning the door (as expected, of course). I chatted with the door man for while when suddenly Keith drove into the carpeted vendor hall grinning ear to ear. This was my first sighting of Keith, having only seen photos and videos of him online previously. Combine that with the odd spectacle of a vehicle driving on indoor carpeting, it took a moment for my brain to register what was occurring. As the vehicle did one or two circles in the room, I waved my arms and joked "Get out of the way Atari! Run for your lives!" I don't think anyone beside the door man heard me. Keith smiled and laughed the whole time.

Where did you find out about this, has it been confirmed? I can't seem to find any reference to it, except a few forums here and there just saying "I just learned that..."

If it is for real, I am incredibly sad. I met Mr. Robinson exactly once, during the launch of my game at CGE 2012. I took a liking of him immediately, and thought he was a wonderful guy with a great heart and incredible passion for the Intellivision. I sincerely believed this, always.

I didn't know him that well, but I will surely miss him.

-dZ.

UPDATE: I have just found a post from his account on the Intellivision Facebook page (although nothing on his Making It page linked at the top of this thread).

It is with overwhelming sadness that we let you know Keith Robinson passed away today of kidney failure and cardiac arrest. His health had been declining in the last few months, but this was nonetheless a shock.
Please know that all of you Intellivision fans brought immeasurable joy to his life. Thank you so much for that.
If you have a favorite Intellivision or Keith memory or photo, we encourage you to share it here as a Comment or a Post to this Page so that our whole community can remember him together. #intellivisionlives

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1