IGNORED

Keith Robinson passed away :(

There's no shortage of video clips with Keith, but I'll add this "Leet Lounge" round table (from 2015) to the mix. This one has the advantage of being made in a studio with individual microphones and minimal background noise. Nothing but Keith and the Blue Sky Rangers, plus special guests me and Heather, for almost three hours.

Direct link: https://youtu.be/Oil2XnGvb4M

• Like 7

That was great. Thanks. just watched it end to end.

Of course now I need a copy of Your Friend the EXEC and the enhanced exec.rom with double resolution and running 3x speed.

Auto Racing was another favorite back in the day. One of the few 1 player games I had, so it got tons of play time.

I thought I was good at Astrosmash when I would play to 400K with 300 extra ships, I would just stop playing.

A few years back, I tried to see how high i could score. Well, I think at 700K... I couldn't believe how hard the game got.

Though I pretty much stink at games now, so maybe I could have hit the scoring bug @12, but I don't think so.

Kieth was clearly in his element!

Edited by 1980gamer

Keith Robinson actually made copies of "Your Friend the Exec" available at one time. At Intellivision Productions he pretty much made everything he possibly could available. He encouraged people to take the rom files off the lives cd and use memory carts to play them on real Intellivisions. He made overlays and controllers available at really low prices. He made sure the controllers were authentic for the fans. He didn't have to, the fans were just a fraction of his customers. I heard his lawyers advised to be more protective of his properties but he never seemed to complain. He was good to Intellivision fans. I think there were more stories that unfortunately we won't get to hear.

• Like 3

That was a great time. I remember waiting in anticipation on that one, loved every second of it. I was "Decle Kid" on the chat, the pain in the a$$ that asked multiple questions over and over. :) Thanks for being a part of that!

There's no shortage of video clips with Keith, but I'll add this "Leet Lounge" round table (from 2015) to the mix. This one has the advantage of being made in a studio with individual microphones and minimal background noise. Nothing but Keith and the Blue Sky Rangers, plus special guests me and Heather, for almost three hours.

Direct link: https://youtu.be/Oil2XnGvb4M

• Like 1

That was great. Thanks. just watched it end to end.

Of course now I need a copy of Your Friend the EXEC and the enhanced exec.rom with double resolution and running 3x speed.

Auto Racing was another favorite back in the day. One of the few 1 player games I had, so it got tons of play time.

I thought I was good at Astrosmash when I would play to 400K with 300 extra ships, I would just stop playing.

A few years back, I tried to see how high i could score. Well, I think at 700K... I couldn't believe how hard the game got.

Though I pretty much stink at games now, so maybe I could have hit the scoring bug @12, but I don't think so.

Kieth was clearly in his element!

Is this a joke, or is there actually an enhanced version of the EXEC available?

I remember the first time I talked to Keith. He called me from his ancient mid-90s cell phone from his car to talk about the emulator I had written. He wanted to use it rather than start from scratch, to get the Intellivision Lives collection out there as quickly as he could. I was honored to be a part of it, to make a small contribution to a new Intellivision revival.
He was very cool, and as others have mentioned, laid-back.
It was the best day of my life. I talked to a Blue Sky Ranger! They wanted to use something I'd written! What could be better? Keith made that possible.
We use to exchange emails. We talked about his game, ECS basic, and other things. He was always very enthusiastic about Intellivision.
Unfortunately, around when the collection was finally released, we had a bit of a falling out which I now understand was really my fault.
I never heard from Keith again, which saddened me a great deal. But once I made an order through his website, and he ended up giving me my order free of charge! So, even though we weren't talking anymore, he still showed his appreciation for what I did. Very cool of him.
Thanks Keith, for all the good memories.
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

In Memory Of KEITH ROBINSON

We all surely miss you. R.I.P.

Who now has the archives for the Tutorvision project?!?! I sure hope we’ll STILL get the whole Tutorvision games collection and system files; they’ll still be needed for our 3rd volume on CD software, INTELLIVISION TEACHES.

Do we have any more recent updates (more Tutorvision game .ROMs and revised system files)?!?!

Thank You!

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is what I get for not keeping up with the Intellivionairies Podcast.

Keith was awesome. I mean a good lot of what we are doing now with Intellivision is because of the dream he saved.

And I still think think Keith should have been the man on the beer commercials as the "Most Interesting Man in the World." The other guy was just an actor. Keith was the real deal.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Old news but maybe now that he is gone, RIP, they will stop screaming copywrite and release the HE MAN version for the Colecovision that was supposedly created.

Someone would have to pay Mattel for the MOTU license, assuming Mattel is even interested. They wouldn't want to get sued.

Edit: Maybe they'll sell the prototype. Or a copy gets leaked.

Edited by mr_me

Old news but maybe now that he is gone, RIP, they will stop screaming copywrite and release the HE MAN version for the Colecovision that was supposedly created.

Well, copyrights are a real thing. Mattel wouldn’t just look the other way if you violate one they hold. I know in the small retro gaming home brew community they are essentially ignored, but that’s not how it works for companies. Just ask Nintendo.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 1

Okay. This very subject is the reason I stopped lurking the Coleco boards. Somebody said something WAY out of line, along the lines of "I hope the BSRs die off so an unsuspecting wife releases it" and I got so pissed I never went back. So pardon this rant, but the choice of board this subject ended up being posted on again has set me off fresh.

1. There are at least three BSRs who hang out and post in this forum, and one more with an account who lurks with some regularity. A lot of these folks are still friends, and Keith was a big part of their group. This particular thread isn't the place for this.

2. Re: the Coleco board comment - some of the BSRs have HUSBANDS. Don't for one second think it's gonna be a woman who f*cks it up.

3. There are VERY few people with access to the game, and they are quite trustworthy. It will not leak. (No, I'm not one of them, though if I were I'd keep it safe out of sheer spite at this point.)

4. It's not "screaming copyright" if a very small company can't afford licensing fees from a very big company. It was a legit issue. It was also why Tron never got rereleased, and the D&D games had to have name changes.

5. Didn't Keith once say on the podcast that the only major difference was the Coleco version had a bug when Skeletor runs across the screen between levels? Y'all Coleco folks really gettin' your skivvies in a twist over a buggy game that already exists?

ANYway. *toasts Keith* Later dudes.

Edited by colormesticky
  • Like 16