IGNORED

Cool 2600 games never released for 800/xl/xe

manterola

• 2 weeks later...

You should, maybe, said: "Never released untill the 21st century and are now available".

A joke isn't funny if it has to be explained; so I'll refrain from that.

But here's another "never released" title, from Playsoft...

Miniature Golf (2600).xex

There's another, incomplete 2600 -> 8-bit game, which was talked about not too long ago. I think it's some kind of Superman game.

I'll have to look it up later...

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

• 9 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 4:12 PM, manterola said:

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I was taking with a friend about how much I liked chopper command at the time, and how is that was never released for Atari 800.

Same thing about Enduro. I really enjoyed playing it. Great American Race it a good substitute, but it would be great to see these games in the atari 800 platform.

Do you know other good 2600 games that were never released for Atari 800?

Just food for thought.

Dragonfire (Imagic), Kung-Fu Master (Activision)

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2017 at 1:43 AM, Marius said:

Yeah, which was created by one of my best Atari friends Lennart (Thelen)... back in the day that we had an atari coding 'group' called Inspiration Soft. At this moment he is not so busy with Atari 8bit, but I'm sure one day he will be back... (At least I hope so).

.....and then @playsoft got a hold of it (with a little bit of prodding from yours truly who also saw @Thelen's original version) and converted it to the 5200 and fixed the bugs out of the original 8-bit. I even went out of my way to make it my debut episode of my-now famous YouTube channel (one of my three YT channels I have, the others are Ray Jackson and BIGHMW TV), The Atari Report. It's a fantastic game and I as a 5200 owner had been chompin' at the bit to get one of our own for it.

Here is my debut episode of The Atari Report - 5200 Edition

BTW, I have polished off my presentation skills and mastered the art of voiceover on every episode during gameplay since then.

Below are Playsoft's 5200 conversion (.bin) and both of Thelen's 8-bit (.zip) works of it.

Yar's Strike.bin Yar's Strike - Original 8-bit Version.zip Yar's Strike - 8-bit Version.zip

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:22 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Superman.....

This one I guess: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2868

Anyone know where this came from? Always liked Superman on 2600 and was happy to see this at first. Unfortunately it's not playable. All the locations, characters and objects are there and working, but you can't deposit the bad guys into the jail, and the bridge never re-assembles when you return the pieces. Seems like all the most difficult work was done on this.....such a shame it never got finished.

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 4:07 PM, +Adam+ said:

Well... Homesoft converted Playsoft's fixed 5200 version back to 8-bit, didn't he?

Yar's Strike.zip 6.32 kB · 13 downloads

Only partly, he only did his own version, based on Playsoft's version, but, as I played Homesoft's version of it on my XEGS or my 65XE, I noticed that the bugs are still in it, you can still see the extra unwanted pixels in the middle of the play area in the second wave (and in every even-numbered wave) in which the shield rotates. also, there is no scrolling galaxy of stars in it either, and Homesoft simply gave both himself and @Thelen credit for the port where as @playsoft simply did his own version without any credits, in which you can port back to the 8-bit if you want so yes, but, Homesoft only did part of it, but the 5200 version is the proper, fixed-up version. I present it to anyone who wants to translate it back to the 8-bit.

Yar's Strike.bin

19 hours ago, StickJock said:

2600 Pacman

Not Atari 8-bit, but Hermann Hirsch submitted a machine code listing for the VIC-20 to Your Computer in January 1984. It bears quite some resemblance to the Atari 2600 Pac-Man, except that it removes a bunch of gameplay elements (and also doesn't flicker).

Vicherman.png.c2c96e9aa55afcb18833c095784dc879.png

The reason there is an elk above the maze is because hirsch means deer in German.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbking67 said:

Some of the interesting interpretations of games would be interesting I think.  There was a 400/800 port of Space Invaders for example, however a version that approximates the 2600 version would also be interesting.  Combat is also a classic.

Agree. The variety of playing options (zigzag lasers, invisible invaders, alternating shoots, etc.) and the two players simultaneous mode, made 2600 space invaders a great game. We still enjoy the two players mode with my son. 

3132021143529.jpg

Edited by manterola
  • Like 3