IGNORED

MAME on PSP -- how did you get it to work?

Nebulon

I'm usually the one giving people instructions on how to get MAME running. Looks like I've met my match with the PSP version of MAME.

I am stuck and I've tried just about everything.

I've tried both "PSP MAME 0.4" and "PSP MAME 4 ALL v 4.9 r1"

The PSP I'm using is a fat model (i.e. PSP 1000). It's running a modded version of 6.39 (since the PSP I have came with 6.39 installed).

ROMs are zipped and in 0.34 format.

The EBOOT.PBP executable is in the GAME directory.

I tried the GAME105 folder as well, but nothing that I put in that folder ever shows up on the PSP's file list.

As for the GAME folder, I've tried EBOOT.PBP files for psp_mame4all_v4.9r1, psp_mame4all_v4.9r1-fat-noneogeo-nocps1, PSP MAME 0.4 KN, PSP MAME 0.4 NM, PSP MAME 0.4 SG, and PSP MAME 0.4 TT. All of the PSP MAME 0.4 executables start to load and then the screen goes blank and the PSP eventually goes to sleep.

As for the mame4all_v4.9r1 executables, they issue the error: "The game could not be started. (8002013C)"

I tried all the ISO modes available. No go.

This PSP's stats are:

Kernel version: 6.39 (0x006030910)

Motherboard model: TA-081

Motherboard type: Fat 1001 (01g)

PSP version: Fat v2.0

You're asking several years too late for me.. but if I recall you have to have a very specific older version of the romset for it to work (e.g. 0.37b5?).. you mention you have .34. Was that fully checked out with the provided dat file in a utility like clrmamepro and it verified it?

Also even fully set up it wasn't the best experience, if I recall.. mine was limited to only the most basic of roms (e.g. puckman.zip, galaxian.zip, etc.) so I'd stick to those well known and basic games for your initial testing.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running PSP MAME4ALL v4.9r2 Hires by TTYman right now on a PSP1000. My system is running 6.60 PRO-C. The system is running it from my PSP\GAME directory not from PSP\GAME150. Shouldn't have to run anything from GAME150 these days. (In fact I just plugged my card into the computer to verify my settings - I don't even HAVE a PSP150 directory.)

MAME4ALL states it runs on the 0.34 romset but I think I have 0.37b5 saved on my system. To NE146's point they don't run very well. One of my favorite games - Mat Mania - doesn't even work. Launching that game crashes my PSP so I had to delete it so I wouldn't keep trying to run it. You can get the basics running like Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man... but not much beyond those earlier games will run.

I have a Vita but I really have no desire to mod/crack it. I have so many options for emulation these days it doesn't interest me right now. MAME is the least used emu on my PSP anyway.

So, to answer your question, no I don't want to run MAME on a PSP. I have a GP2X for that. It's there because I am too lazy to delete it and it barely takes any space.

I have found that for consistent decent game play with Mame on my PSP 2000, I had to overclock (?) to 333/166 (under the settings accessed via 'Select' button.) Before doing this, running a game like Berzerk would freeze/crash the system about 50% of the time. Since changing the setting, I've had no issues.

I love the form factor of the PSP (especially with the attached grip I have). I wish AT Games would make their Atari portable about the size of the PSP, or at least the screen, perhaps just a little bigger would be nice.

i recently picked up a psp with mame on it and its missing some games like joust 2. indiana jones and spy hunter loads but the psp shuts off before the screen can load. is there a better version i should be running?

MAME4ALL is the only one I've really found; I definitely don't think there's anything better anyway. If it's missing games, you can just find the ROM somewhere and add it, but as always with the PSP, no guarantee of how well it'll run.

The PSP is a great handheld emulator, but it's slow by today's standards and development for it basically stopped years ago. So you kind of take what you can get and be thankful for it IMO; I mean there's still a *ton* of stuff you can play on it.

It *is* a little disappointing how slow MAME runs compared to, say, Neo Geo MVSPSP, which runs games like Metal Slug 5 and X at full speed, or PicoDrive, which runs every Genesis game I've thrown at it at full speed too. (PicoDrive actually needs to be limited or it runs crazy fast.) But, well, them's the breaks. Gotta be content with only running 3,000 or 4,000 of the most popular games ever made, instead of 5,000.

Edited by spacecadet

Thanks for the feedback.

It should be an okay platform once I get it working. I'm really only interested in using it for the stuff from around 1979 to 1984 (Zaxxon, The Glob, Subroc, MouseTrap, Q*Bert, Strategy X, Rolling Thunder, etc...).

And details on how the actual setup works -- starting from the start?

Someone just gave me one of these and it's still likely just a factory config. So I'm wondering how to get it prepped for running an emulator. And tips on what BIOS to use, how to get the BIOS running, how not to brick it, ...? I guess I'm looking for the total noob's guide to modding the PSP.

http://wololo.net/installing-pro-cfw-on-a-psp-1000-psp-phat/

I assumed you had already done this since you've done everything else.

Most likely your MAME will just run once you've installed Pro CFW. I haven't done the permanent mod on mine (it's not necessary), and the one or two times Pro CFW stopped running, there was no real indication at all except that my emulators just wouldn't work. As soon as I started Pro CFW again, they worked fine. So my guess is that this is all you need to do.

Edited by spacecadet

Not gonna help it run, but psp1000 is really terrible for emulation. It has 1/3 of the ram that later models have. MAME won't run full speed I'm sure as even on psp 2000 double dragon needs frame skip. SNES9X is pretty slow on old models too I think.