IGNORED

Wifi modem! Telnet from any computer with a serial port

Vorticon

There is a list of systems that have been confirmed tested on my website. Just like a real dial-up modem (which is what the WiModem232 emulates), a cable may be required.

http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=419

As long as the computer follows the RS-232 spec (at least +/-12v signal level) it will work with the WiModem232.

Edited by JimDrew
  • Like 4

I just did some testing against my BBS with Telco. With the 9640News BBS, Telco running on a Geneve, the maximum baud rate is 4800 baud for downloading and viewing the BBS. The board requires the

AT&K1 and AT*T1 for hardware handshaking and turning on Telnet with the WiModem232.

Beery

• Like 1

Type AT*N and look at the signal strength. If your router has a signal strength of at least -85db (lower the number the better) you can connect to the router via WPS or manually.

Turned out I had a -60dbm signal but needed to throttle back to 300 baud to be able to configure.

• Like 1

I just did some testing against my BBS with Telco. With the 9640News BBS, Telco running on a Geneve, the maximum baud rate is 4800 baud for downloading and viewing the BBS. The board requires the

AT&K1 and AT*T1 for hardware handshaking and turning on Telnet with the WiModem232.

Beery

4800 baud is the fastest speed I've ever gotten with Telco and my 56k V92 analog modem.

Type AT*N and look at the signal strength. If your router has a signal strength of at least -85db (lower the number the better) you can connect to the router via WPS or manually.

Made some time to get the wimodem232 configured this afternoon. Actually printed out the manual. ;) The WPS method was a piece of cake and once connected the display let me know a firmware update was available and that was a painless experience. After updating I started getting further into the manual and started playing baud rates and BBSing. Ran into the same problems trying to D/Load the others seem to be having but I've notice people are trying other settings I probably haven't gotten to yet. My first test drive of the wimodem232 can only be described as a fun ride. :) I'm happy I purchased this device. You have provided me a well thought out little device that adds portability to my TI-99/4a and I'm looking forward to sitting outside BBSing this summer. Thanks for taking the time JimDrew. :)

I just realized something that someone else pointed out to me in private email. There are two different manufactuerers of wireless modems.

There is the WiFi232, and there is the WiModem232 along with a non OLED display unit the WiModem.

Just to make sure everyone knows, I have been testing the WiModem232. I do not know how close in similarity the WiFi232 and the WiModem232 are in features or in development history.

Beery

• Like 1

I just realized something that someone else pointed out to me in private email. There are two different manufactuerers of wireless modems.

There is the WiFi232, and there is the WiModem232 along with a non OLED display unit the WiModem.

Just to make sure everyone knows, I have been testing the WiModem232. I do not know how close in similarity the WiFi232 and the WiModem232 are in features or in development history.

Beery

Also there's an opensource wifi modem with older code from the guy that makes the wifi232 the project was posted here recently and I built one of those too. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266774-wifi-modem-telnet-from-any-computer-with-a-serial-port/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3863017

Hey guys, I have been unable to get the Wimodem232 to work with either TIMXT or TELCO at any baud rate. With the former, when I power up the device, I get the message that the router was found on screen, but then when I type anything the program freezes and the cursor won't come back until I power cycle the Wimodem232. With Telco I get absolutely no response at all and nothing shows up on the screen. Have not tried Term80 yet but it seems that it has worked for some here.

I tried the AT&K1 option for hardware handshaking with no change...

The Wimodem232 has no trouble connecting to my router and it works fine with Putty on the PC. I should mention that a null modem is required for connection to the TI, but not to the PC.

If you have configured WiModem232 on another computer first, make sure your WiModem232 is configured for the baud rate you are trying to use with Telco. On the TI, start with lower baud rates and work up. I'm not sure how fast Telco can capture text strings without losing anything.

​Beery

If you have configured WiModem232 on another computer first, make sure your WiModem232 is configured for the baud rate you are trying to use with Telco. On the TI, start with lower baud rates and work up. I'm not sure how fast Telco can capture text strings without losing anything.

​Beery

I tried all possible rates up to 4800bps, but absolutely no response at all from TELCO. I even switched RS232 cards just to be sure with no result. I am using a straight serial cable with a null modem adapter. Has anyone here gotten TIMXT to work with the Wimodem232?

I tried all possible rates up to 4800bps, but absolutely no response at all from TELCO. I even switched RS232 cards just to be sure with no result. I am using a straight serial cable with a null modem adapter.

That won't work with Telco. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273732-telco-term80-and-modem-cable/

I tried all possible rates up to 4800bps, but absolutely no response at all from TELCO. I even switched RS232 cards just to be sure with no result. I am using a straight serial cable with a null modem adapter. Has anyone here gotten TIMXT to work with the Wimodem232?

Do you have the HDX mod on your card?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Ok on the HDX card you need interrupts enabled to use Telco

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Yup was aware of that. No difference... I'm going to build the cable Tim described for TELCO and see, although I wish TIMXT would work as I love its 80col capabilities...

Tim,

Just a FYI, I was able to make some mods to MyTerm and had it downloading at 38.4K from my BBS last night. I had no problems at 9600 baud uploading, but at 19200, I started hitting errors.

Myself, I found minimizing any video writes for screen updates got me the speed, at the expense of not knowing how the up/down loading process was going until return was given back after exiting the xmodem code.

Anyways, still playing with hardware handshaking however I have not identified the right set of conditions yet.

Beery

Tim,

Just a FYI, I was able to make some mods to MyTerm and had it downloading at 38.4K from my BBS last night. I had no problems at 9600 baud uploading, but at 19200, I started hitting errors.

Myself, I found minimizing any video writes for screen updates got me the speed, at the expense of not knowing how the up/down loading process was going until return was given back after exiting the xmodem code.

Anyways, still playing with hardware handshaking however I have not identified the right set of conditions yet.

Beery

A good approach to the file transfers is to use the RS232 interrupt to buffer the packet. In PORT, I intercept the interrupt directly by modifying the interrupt vector table, then give the RS232 priority over the keyboard and video interrupts. If I redid things today, I would also leverage the state machine practices used by many of the game coders here :) You might be able to do your video updates between packets, since the sender and receiver must pause for acknowledgement anyway. I suppose that depends on how MyTerm is written.

A good approach to the file transfers is to use the RS232 interrupt to buffer the packet. In PORT, I intercept the interrupt directly by modifying the interrupt vector table, then give the RS232 priority over the keyboard and video interrupts. If I redid things today, I would also leverage the state machine practices used by many of the game coders here :) You might be able to do your video updates between packets, since the sender and receiver must pause for acknowledgement anyway. I suppose that depends on how MyTerm is written.

I am trying to figure out where you are interrupting the interrupt vector table. Surely not on the card, as it is ROM. In MDOS somewhere? Or, in the task 0 page below >0400?

I would need to do some digging to on that one.

Beery

Success! Using Tim's cable (1-1, 2-3, 3-2, 7-7), I was able to get TIMXT to work at the maximum of 38400 bps and connect to all the telnet sites with the Wimodem232. It looks like the Heatwave is now in a temporary non-telnet mode for testing purposes. BTW, how does one activate color mode on the Keep BBS? I know there was a command to enter once logged in.

I did not try any file transfers yet.

Thanks for the tip Tim!