IGNORED

PEB troubles.

Sinphaltimus

So I loaded a utility from tape I wanted to backup to disk.

Save gives me io error 60 on all 3 floppy drives.

Trying to load anything gives me IO error 50.

Disk manager gives me error 0 for all 3 drives attempting a non destructive test. None of the drive show any sign of life except the GoTek.

Powering on the PEB, only the flex card light stays lit. 32K flashes on then off. FDD does not light up at all.

Extended Basic SIZE command shows I have the standard console ram - no 32k showing at all. I've removed and reseated the cards.
Same issue.

Is there some diagnostic program I can load up? I'll save it to tape in emulation via real cassette to audio adaptor to try and load it on to the console.

My temp gauges show all 3 cards warming up, the flex card more-so.

I was hoping to make this utility save from cassette a quick thing as I'm off to do other things. But my next shot is going to be trying without the Side extension cable I purchased so my firehose would be out of the way.

But while I'm AFK, any suggestions and trouble shooting tips are so very welcomed. Please help. I'm panicking inside.

:(

90% of the time the firehose is making a bad connection

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I didn't even get to read that - I broke for lunch and clear my head. Came back to check the extension cable (remove it and test without it) as soon as I picked up the end of the firhouse, the damn extension cable fell out.

Everything is working fine. return here to update and you knew it already. :)

You are Spot On as usual.

• Like 2

OK, so no longer a PEB issue but I have a question regarding what I'm doing. First - do you have a GoTek drive?
I can't seem to save to my GoTek - Not sure if that's a thing or an issue.

Next, I'm saving to 3.5" floppy. I got through 3 utilities so far, the 4th one is some sort of assembly Plot and Screen dumper - When I try to save it I get an "Protection violation" error. any ideas what that is? I get it trying to save to 5.25" as well. Is this some sort of TI Software protection scheme? Stinks for archiving if so. Anyway around that? The 2 utilities prior were plot and screen dump utilities for Basic and Extended basic, they saved fine. I don't recall what the first utility was but that also saved fine. And no i have no idea what these do. Just trying to preserve then then will share 'em out once I figure out how to get them from floppy to PC. Sure wish I could save to the GoTek. That's make this a breeze.

EDIT: wow, i can't even list the darn program.

EDIT: Nevermind about the GoTek - the disk I was trying to write to was full. Created an empty hfe file and was able to save the previous files I grabbed, except for the copy protected one of which I have no idea what to do about that except maybe save it to PC as a wav file.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Xb copy protection.. There is a call link to disable it.

-31931 , 0 UNPROTECT X-B PROTECTION

, 2 SET "ON WARNING NEXT" COMMAND

, 4 SET "ON WARNING STOP" COMMAND

, 14 SET "UNTRACE" COMMAND

, 15 SET "UNTRACE" COMMAND & "NUM" COMMAND

, 16 SET "TRACE" COMMAND

, 64 SET "ON BREAK NEXT" COMMAND

, 128 PROTECT X/B PROGRAM

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK, so I am going to piggyback on this topic. I am a TI novice (really a Commodore guy) so bear with me.

I have the PEB. I played with it once before, got it to initialize and then write to a disk, and load back from it. All good. Put it aside.

Today I took it out to fire it back up, and I am having an issue.

When I go into the disk manager, I can catalogue the disk I used before, it shows it being in the drive and the name of the file I made, no problem. Go back out to BASIC to load the file with the OLD command, and I get error 50. Write a program and try to save, error 60. Just run the little diagnostic program in the Disk Memory System manual, error 00. I know the codes are telling me the specified drive can't be found. I used the DSK1.x command to try loading and saving, then switched to DSK.[name].[filename]. Neither worked.

Back into Disk Manager, I can still catalogue the disk. I even changed the disk name, successfully, from TI-99/4A to TI994A, thinking maybe the special characters were causing issues. Back out to BASIC, still no dice. Eventually I got to a point where, in the Disk Manager, I got told the disk I was using was not initialized. I figure now that the disk is the issue, but I reformat it just the same, and am told it is successful. then I break out another disk to format and try.

Same results with the second disk. So I *think* I have eliminated the disk as the problem. I also tried reseating the disk controller card. After reseating, same issues.

Anyone got a clue what is going on?

Don't have the flashROM cart. What is the EA cart?

Also, anyone have any other suggestions on my "main" problem of the disk drive being readable and writable in Disk Manager, but not in BASIC?

Editor Assembler cartridge.. I sell xbasic, EA and other variants on my website arcadeshopper.com also sell the flashrom99 boards and cases for it.. highly recommend the XB27 suite cart as it includes extended basic, editor assembler, word processor, disk managers, diagnostics and many more utilities and 10 games in one cartridge..

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/Extended-Basic-2-7-Suite/p/44354005/category=15846004

252063053.jpg

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/FlashROM99-Assembled-and-tested-no-case-or-sdcard-IN-STOCK/p/75045462/category=22342012

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Hmmm. I appreciate the insight, but I am in a bit of a catch-22, I guess: I don't want to spend more money just to test the system, only to find out that it doesn't work, and need to spend more money - but I guess there is no way to know if the RAM expansion card is working unless I invest in something besides a basic TI system? Is that the case? The point of testing the RAM expansion card to my way of thinking isn't so much about the RAM, it's about testing the PEB versus the disk drive: if the RAM expansion card works, and the disk drive works in Disk Manager, I think that suggests a different problem than if NEITHER the RAM expansion NOR the disk drive work in BASIC.

Well, you could type a dummy Peruvian in until you run out of memory.

10 rem qqqqqqqwwwqwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwqq

Until the line fills up.

Then 20 rem asfghfdsffddfffffs

Until the line fills up.

Count the characters on the line will give you rough byte count oer line.

Keep adding lines <line number> rem <fill with junk text>

Until you get out of memory then do the math.

The built in console BASIC alone won't use the memory expansion card, so unless you get some additional cartridge that uses it, there isn't really a way to test it.

Extended BASIC cartridges can be found on Ebay pretty cheaply, but Mini Memory and Editor/Assembler add features to the console BASIC to allow it to use the memory expansion unit.

Hmmm. I appreciate the insight, but I am in a bit of a catch-22, I guess: I don't want to spend more money just to test the system, only to find out that it doesn't work, and need to spend more money - but I guess there is no way to know if the RAM expansion card is working unless I invest in something besides a basic TI system? Is that the case? The point of testing the RAM expansion card to my way of thinking isn't so much about the RAM, it's about testing the PEB versus the disk drive: if the RAM expansion card works, and the disk drive works in Disk Manager, I think that suggests a different problem than if NEITHER the RAM expansion NOR the disk drive work in BASIC.

Pm me and I'll mail you a used TI extended basic cart

Greg

• Like 2

Well, thanks to arcadeshopper, I have tested the memory card in the PEB, which appears to be in good working order, making a connection to the computer, etc. I can still manipulate disks in the disk manager. I just can't load or save files from the disk drive in BASIC.

Any ideas?

hmm, strange, this errors are not documented in the manual. Is it an original TI-Controller ? (PHP1240)

Are you sure your FDD-cable is OK, and that it is NOT twisted ?

Any activity on the controllers LED if you load or save ?

post-41141-0-04168600-1498422806.jpg

(This error codes are from the controllers manual, searching for the Disk Managers manual now) :)