IGNORED

Lynx Emulator On Dreamcast

Willard

[Lynx Emu For Dreamcast Soon

Posted by wraggster At 10:13

CHN the author of Plusive the Commodore plus 4 emulator for the Dreamcast and GP32 has posted about a new release on his site and more importantly for Dreamcast Fans that he is working on a Lynx emu for the good old Dreamcast.

I've ported Handy, the Atari Lynx emulator, to the GP32. At its current state, it just works (quite slow), nothing more and nothing less. As I most likely won't have the time to work on it any more, I'm planning to release the sources very soon so that someone else can pick it up. As a bonus, I'm going to prepare the sources so that they can be compiled for the Sega Dreamcast, too.

Lets hope somebody compiles them ;)

Check out his newspost at PDroms for more information.]

• 16 years later...

Necrooooooooo-bump.  But i hate making new topics if it's not necessary. 

Saw this on Etsy and wondered if anyone had tried it?  The idea of the full lynx library on a disc to play on my TV is compelling i will admit:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/766953277/atari-lynx-collection-fan-made-sega?ref=hp_rf-2&frs=1

I think lynx is supported by an early 2000s port of the MESS emulator to dreamcast which emulates many other systems. Anyway I've never tested it but heard that the lynx emulation is not close to full speed so lynx emulators on the dc at the moment might be a not that fun experience compared to the many other ways to emulate lynx and display it on a tv. 

Raspberry pi with emulation station does it very well.  You can easily connect that to your tv. I'm sure someone could find a bone to pick but for me the emulation and compatability seems top notch. 

Also any laptop from the last 15 years can probably do it and many of them would have hdmi or vga out ports you could run in to your tv.

I'm sure emulators also exist for hacked systems like original xbox and xbox 360 and wii but that seems more complicated to figure out how to do the hacking and load software onto the system than other alternatives. 

You can of course also get the vga out mod on your lynx for a very authentic gameplay experience projected onto your tv.

Retroarch on rpi is one of the best solution to play on a TV,  because the retroarch  lynx emulator is actively maintained by the community and as perfect sound. I use on a tv the rpi zero where is installed the lynx  cart writer and a freeplay cm3 in a gba case with hdmi port.

Another setup I'm configuring is a pstv (I bought one at a flea market for 10 euros) with retroarch,  but it's an unofficial build and is not maintained (works fine for official games, but hasn't the last fixes for eeprom saves).

Lynx emulation on older consoles is usually slow or with sound problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...