IGNORED

fixing Doom for the 32x

Admittedly I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, so I wouldn't rule out that someone could get from a standing start to doing what I do* considerably* quicker, but I think it's going to take more than a week and a few forum posts.

Well, crap! There goes my new career plans. :D

This is such a weird, weird thread. What's really going on here?

I'm a lurker on a lot of these boards (and actively participate on one)- but woooooow. It's like an industrial accident or something, and I just can't look away. My two cents since this thread has derailed into utter insanity-

the threads I do read that are 'productive' i see folks that are obviously knowledgeable and obviously love their platforms of choice that they develop or in some way keep working with.

i love reading all the crazy STUFF that the communities are still doing for the consoles/computers, a lot of it i think is better than the originally developed software/hardware/etc or greatly improves the QoL of the platforms.

@2600problems, if you are just 23, my god, man! Settle down before you stroke out- the first rule of being a grownup is listening to other folks that are legitimately trying to help you.

• Like 2

the first rule of being a grownup is listening to other folks that are legitimately trying to help you.

rule #2, if everyone in your general area reacts like you let out a narsty fart when presenting an idea, you may want to reconsider the idea and or presentation

doom is a beast, heck raycasting is a beast (I wrote a raycaster from scratch for psp, with no textures sprites etc and it ran at like 18fps, and that's 333mhz ) , and its top of its game for its time cause the underlying tech was made by a group of (at the time) very talented individuals, and some serious (at the time) computer horse power to pull off at a decent pace

THEN you have absolute nut jobs porting that magic trick to (in comparison) very weak consoles, and while not perfect, are pretty damn impressive for what they have to work with

THEN you have some guy on a forum that is asking how to convert a binary dump of a rom cart that was hand coded to work on a very specific proprietary architecture, into a dos / windows text script so they can load it into a visual wusisug :?

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Grandiose imaginations are only delusions if one lacks the focus, discipline and tenacity to execute them.

This goes hand in hand with a balance of self-doubt, which should cause one to consider if one's imagination is worth actualizing. Too much of either, and you've lost.

It is something I have to constantly remind myself, nearly every second of every day.

-Thom

i'm asking to convert because I'm using doom builder for the job.

Just typing "Doom 32X WAD" into Google would've got you the forum announcement for saxam's Doom 32X WAD converter and the subsequent discussion of limitations which would've answered at least some of your subsequent questions. For example, the thread says that the 32X Doom engine unceremoniously defecates itself if too many enemies spawn on a map, so something built on flooding the player with nasties like the Nuts WAD is going to lock the game up, probably before it even finishes populating the stage.

Taking an "educated" guess, it's down to the amount of RAM made available for object management and not having any sanity checks to prevent overflow; with the former of those would also imply that features like the BFG or the Cyberdemon were omitted due to similar constraints, so adding them in wouldn't be viable.

I understand its a weird thing for me to do but cut me some slack, at least i'm not trying to fix up daikatana or port Deus ex. either help or don't.

You don't really get forums, do you...? You posted an off topic thread because the forum itself isn't sentient and doesn't know that you shouldn't be doing so, but when you're off topic you don't get to complain when other people are as well and the forum won't stop them posting for the same reason. Nobody has to cut you any slack, be helpful or adhere to your topic because you didn't choose the right place to post it.

okay, I quit. i'm just going to stick to graphics hacking. maybe something simple like river raid

River Raid isn't what i'd call "simple" personally... but if you have questions, don't forget to post to the right part of the forum.

okay, I quit. i'm just going to stick to graphics hacking. maybe something simple like river raid

Wow - thanks for making us feel guilty for not helping you realize your grandiose deal of fixing Doom for 32X in a few days. So now, you'll go back to a simple graphics hack on River Raid. Holy shit man - do you realize how out of touch and stupid you sound? No more help here. You can piss off. You're obviously either a troll, or too fracking stupid to deserve replies to.

Good bye.

P.S.

I hope you get upset due to the heat, and try to threaten me again. I love nothing more than internet tough guys threatening me. If you feel inclined, PM me and I'll give you my address. We can meet up.

• Like 1

I honestly wonder Stephen, is it ignorance or out of malice, that you choose to berate me? over a simple frustration. go to hell. i'll find others more deserving of being spoken to. so take your own advice and piss off.

Congratulations, you've just won a suspension from the forum.

..Al

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-61854-0-00474300-1504992320.jpg

Yeah.. You need to be a special kind of crazy to port Deus Ex. But that's enough about my coworkers :)

funny. it could be done, but it would probably end up like this

and yes, I played the genesis port. I apologize for the daikatana comment, at least that game is...somewhat (I say that loosely) functional

Edited by Jackel192

• 1 year later...