blakespot

Blog Post about TAZ, 16-color @ Med Res ANSI terminal emulator

I have gotten heavy into telnet BBSs and became rather impressed by the ST terminal program, TAZ, that allows 16 color ANSI emulation at medium res (2-bit color, of course) by way of color interlacing. Kind of like Megaroids and Quantum Paint, in approach. Anyway, I wrote about it a little and have a video showing the effect.

For those interested.

http://www.bytecellar.com/2017/06/18/four-colors-into-sixteen-terminal-innovation-on-the-atari-st/

bp

AnsiTerm works fairly well too. That's what I used back in the day (still use it to call my BBS). The flickers sometimes give me headaches.

Great blog post... Though I have to say I'm a little disappointed that a blog post about calling BBS's in ANSI on the ST didn't feature a screenshot of at least one of the ST BBS's (both have some decent ANSI going on).

But still, enjoyable reading.

:)

BTW, I agree, would liked to have seen some screenshots when the OP was logged in to a BBS.

I can't remember, what did you tell me you used to make your ANSI screens? I use an ST program

called Fansi that works pretty good.

Thanks.

I used Fansi too. In fact Im almost positive I registered it but I cant seem to find it :( Might have been on the drive that crashed 20 some years ago.

More recently I've been using Pablodraw since I dont want to take the BBS down for screen work and it doesn't seem to want to run on the TT. Hopefully I can get the furniture rearranged and then I can get another st set up.... but thats a big undertaking.

I have gotten heavy into telnet BBSs and became rather impressed by the ST terminal program, TAZ, that allows 16 color ANSI emulation at medium res (2-bit color, of course) by way of color interlacing. Kind of like Megaroids and Quantum Paint, in approach. Anyway, I wrote about it a little and have a video showing the effect.

Why did I not heard about this program years ago in my BBS'ing days?? I tried ANSITerm but felt it was too slow (graphically) compared to using ANSI/VT-100 emulation. So stuck with STalker and put up with just 4 colors, but at least I changed them to have a neon look.