IGNORED

SDrive-Arm (SDrive2) issues/questions

gargoyle

Today I received a SDrive^2 :) (btw. nice luxury package :)

Additionally my wife took both kids to her parents (no, not because of SDrive :) So today's is a perfect day, to test this little thing. I had no previous experience with such "modern" peripherals, but managed already to load some games... Left windows could show full name instead of 8char_long filenames, but this is just a detail.

I see you already mentioned some keyboard shorcuts in previous posts... is there a list somewhere?

Thanks!

Additionally my wife took both kids to her parents (no, not because of SDrive :) So today's is a perfect day, to test this little thing. I had no previous experience with such "modern" peripherals, but managed already to load some games... Left windows could show full name instead of 8char_long filenames, but this is just a detail.

I see you already mentioned some keyboard shorcuts in previous posts... is there a list somewhere?

Thanks!

Maybe if the panes were horizontal instead of vertical we could get longer filenames.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I don't have an SDrive2 but for my classic SDrives I keep one SD card just for games. I use a slightly updated set of ATRs based around Kheffington's images.

I don't update the images often and I never need the Atari to do that so I just find it easier to use one SD card for games and another for everything else.

The images use Hias Reichl's MyPicoDOS game loader. The ATRs have the MyDOS file system so no long names in themselves but MyPicoDOS provides long descriptions. I mount all four images in SDrive and have 3000+ games at my finger tips. These aren't every game available for A8 but it's a lot.

Since I use one SD card solely for the above ATRs I find it convenient to configure SDrive to bypass the its own menu. To do this you first set the maximum speed for your SDrive by typing 'U'. For classic SDrive with original firmware I believe it's 89 kbits/sec. With Hias Reichl's beta firmware for SDrive it's 126 kbits/sec. I believe SDrive2 will all support this speed.

To store the change type CTRL+W then 'U' to store the new default max speed (old default maximum is 67 kbits/sec). Typing 'B' tells the SDrive configuration to skip the menu from now on. Configuration still must run but it does so transparently. Finally type 'Y' to save the new configuration.

Changing SDrive's configuration applies only to the SD card (or microSD) you are currently using. Other cards can have completely different settings.

If you ever need to get back to the menu or have problems with current settings just hold down SHIFT when you power up the Atari. SDrive will present 4 or 5 options, one of which will be the configuration menu.

Kheffington put a tremendous amount of effort in generating those images. Kheffington also provided some tools and lots of information not to mention the game file tree.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 3

I don't have an SDrive2 but for my classic SDrives I keep one SD card just for games. I use a slightly updated set of ATRs based around Kheffington's images.

I've tried these images on SDrive2 but its not works on current firmware, its just hangs on the begging may be some patches need to be applied to works with such big images?

What version of firmware you using on original SDrive?

More over these images also unable to be readed in SpartaDOS...

Edited by alsp

I just wanted to write, that I can´t load them, but you´re faster than me.

Also, when I press "Shift" while booting, I can´t use points 2 and 3.

Configuration boots to black screen.

Help boots to Menu, telling me "Uncompatible v01 with #1 SDrive-A"

Any help with this?

Alsp first of all I would like to say what a great job you did on creating and packaging this device. I got mine yesterday, and was very impressed with all the details including the little cardboard box that it came in, with the Atari symbol cut into the top :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I ran into a problem when using it, which is not the fault of your device, but something most people don't think about when it comes to systems equipped with a Transkey and a PS2 keyboard. The main problem is due to the fact that the arrow keys on the PS2 keyboard are going to put out the CTRL+Arrow equivalents when pressed without CTRL, and not the symbol that would normally be associated with those keys on a real A8 keyboard. So in the case of the Sdrive software's menu, it presently only looks for non-CTRL'ed arrows, and ignores it if CTRL is held. Something similar was happening on FJC's U1MB BIOS's setup screen, and also on the original UNO cart's menu. Both of these have since been fixed to recognize arrow keys with or without CTRL in their navigation screens.

The other issue which is the first time I've seen this as being a problem, relates to Transkey (TK-II specifically) putting out a CTRL+SHIFT+A if any key has been repeated. So in other words if you press a key once and then proceed to press another (different) key, only those keys are sent. However if you press the same key twice or more in a row, then a CTRL+SHIFT+A is sent following each key press that is being repeated. The reason that this is done was to better inform the A8 that repeated keys are still individual unique key presses, and sending CTRL+SHIFT+A (which is normally seen as a non-key to the A8) between like key presses satisfies this. So getting back to the Sdrive... apparently the menu is seeing what should be non-keys, and interfering with smooth arrow key action, even to the point of causing an item to be jumped over occasionally. It seems very odd that the software would even be programmed to react to keys that aren't required for the Sdrive functions, let alone bothered by them. On a separate note, you can also hear key clicks for the non-keys, which normally an application wouldn't do, so I presume that the normal key handler has been vectored into a custom one that is responding to all keys in the same fashion, even and including what should be a non-key. If you want to see what I mean, from within Basic press CTRL+SHIFT+A and you'll see nor hear anything. This is how it should be when using the normal key handler.

Anyway not a big deal unless you want to use a Transkey connected keyboard on your A8 with the Sdrive. The CTRL+Arrow thing can be worked around in two different ways in the TK-II, but it would be nice if the work around was not required. However the non-key interference makes navigating the menu very erratic, so a fix for that would be great if at all possible.

But other than that, your re-creation of an Sdrive is truly unique, and is such a great way to implement something like this :) .

- Michael

• Like 1

I've tried these images on SDrive2 but its not works on current firmware, its just hangs on the begging may be some patches need to be applied to works with such big images?

What version of firmware you using on original SDrive?

More over these images also unable to be readed in SpartaDOS...

Sorry, I thought they worked on SDrive as is.

I'll test them shortly. However all my SDrive's have updated firmware. My results may not be very telling.

I originally sourced the files I from Kheffington's message thread but as I added some files over the years I found it easier to build new ATR from file trees than actually edit existing ATRs. These ATRs of course work on my SDrives but they have MyPicoDOS that is customized to work only with SDrives with Hias firmware.

The images will not be readable via SpartaDOS as they have been built with MyDOS file system. They are readable by modern SpartaDOS X.

[EDIT]

Kheffington's images do in fact work on my SDrive as is.

I guess we need someone who has a classic SDrive with stock firmware to confirm kheffington's images also work for them.

Edited by a8isa1

Hi alI, I tried the above with kheffington's images, also with no success. So I decided to go back to original settings, but I have two problems now..First of all, now when I boot up there is a 10-12 second delay when the menu comes up before displaying the directory (FastSIO and bootloader reads ??) Then, after said delay the directory appears and all is normal. It's still working but the delay wasn't there before?

Also, I'm having problems making another card. I have a blank 2GB microSD Sandisk card here and have copied the files as they appear on my 'master' but the menu just cycles though the four drives and returns an error #$8A

Is there a 'clean/virgin' SDRIVE.ATR file suitable for the SDRIVE2 I need to download again or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You could try pressing the SELECT key when booting the MyPicoDOS images?

Not sure if it will work, but I remember finding you need to do this when using these images with the ATR support in my UnoCart project, otherwise you get the delay mentioned.

I think SELECT makes it use the standard OS SIO routines - check the MyPicoDOS documentation for more info.

Robin

Hi alI, I tried the above with kheffington's images, also with no success. So I decided to go back to original settings, but I have two problems now..First of all, now when I boot up there is a 10-12 second delay when the menu comes up before displaying the directory (FastSIO and bootloader reads ??) Then, after said delay the directory appears and all is normal. It's still working but the delay wasn't there before?

Also, I'm having problems making another card. I have a blank 2GB microSD Sandisk card here and have copied the files as they appear on my 'master' but the menu just cycles though the four drives and returns an error #$8A

Is there a 'clean/virgin' SDRIVE.ATR file suitable for the SDRIVE2 I need to download again or something else?

First of all - try to format new card with FAT32. I've found bug with FAT16 and already fix it, but to flash it I need to fix bootloader, so it will be done little bit later

'Virgin' SDrive.ATR can be located on github.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First of all - try to format new card with FAT32. I've found bug with FAT16 and already fix it, but to flash it I need to fix bootloader, so it will be done little bit later

'Virgin' SDrive.ATR can be located on github.

OK, I've now replaced my SDrive.ATR with the one mentioned above and the delay is gone, all is good again - Thank you!

Still having trouble making another card though. I'm using a Sandisk microSD 2GB, formatted with FAT32 and using the SDrive.ATR, again mentioned above but still just cycles though the four drives and returns an error #$8A...What am I doing wrong?

OK, I've now replaced my SDrive.ATR with the one mentioned above and the delay is gone, all is good again - Thank you!

Still having trouble making another card though. I'm using a Sandisk microSD 2GB, formatted with FAT32 and using the SDrive.ATR, again mentioned above but still just cycles though the four drives and returns an error #$8A...What am I doing wrong?

Usual this beghaviour happens when card formatted in FAT16... Please check format again.

By default Windows format 2Gb cards as FAT (i.e. FAT16) you eed to explicitly choose 'FAT32'.

• Like 1

And yes - I confirm there is some bug in firmware that not allow to works with some ATR files (for example with Kheffington's images), I still not found reason of it, but will fix it in the near future.

Very strange symptoms - first 3 sectors of image (that loads with 128 byte size) load successfully and 4th sector loads as double sized (256 bytes) and repeated with timeouts about 10 secs.

May be someone have some ideas about reason?

And yes - I confirm there is some bug in firmware that not allow to works with some ATR files (for example with Kheffington's images), I still not found reason of it, but will fix it in the near future.

Very strange symptoms - first 3 sectors of image (that loads with 128 byte size) load successfully and 4th sector loads as double sized (256 bytes) and repeated with timeouts about 10 secs.

May be someone have some ideas about reason?

I mailed Bob!k, who is the co-author of the original SDrive, with a link to this post so maybe he might be able to help you resolve this.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the SDrive2 with my SDX cart. I'm booting SDX from a flash cart. After it boots, I can see the SDrive config program on D1. I run it and select the ATR's for each drive, but can't get back into SDX. I've tried using Q to quit as well as just rebooting, but I can't get back to the SDX prompt.