IGNORED

S.A.M.

Atari_Force

In short no, no CAR or XEX version because really S.A.M. really is just a machine language module with an API that you can control from your own programs. The original S.A.M. disk just contains example programs in BASIC that do just that...

Of course you could always include it in a program of your own and put THAT on a cart or executable file...

Edited by Nezgar

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.retrobits.net/atari/sam.shtml

With all the info about S.A.M.

I'm confused:

post-38327-0-87363100-1499198581.png

The autorun.sys file is the binary. Then we have the "xex" file. Right?

I tried to convert it to ROM/CAR, but I failed.

Interesting. I have an old tape. It's a SAM version (chilean pirates)

Maybe someone can extract something from the CAS file and try to create the XEX / ROM / CAR...

Here is the CAS file:

attachicon.gifSAM.rar

A spanish version?. I tried to use my bas files, but I failed.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a copy of the demonstration disk put out by Don't Ask Software back in the day showcasing SAM along with some of their other products if anyone needs it. SAM singing the US national anthem always made me laugh! This disk needs to be booted with Basic enabled. It runs in Altirra but crashed out Atari800WinPlus.

Don't Ask Demo Disk.ATR

• Like 4

I can't convert sam.xex to rom/car file. Possible?

There are several ways this could be done.

1. Disassemble it, and reassemble the code to the address you want in the cart. But this would be so a cart based game could use it. With some bank switching you might be about to run the code on the cart and save some system RAM with a little more code.

2. Grab the binary, make it data on the cart, and have the program on the cart copy it to the original address and boot the system with it already loaded. You would need to add some code to set up memory the way SAM does when it loads. This is what I did when I moved the ADAM IDE driver ROM to a Colecovision cart image. I spent more time learning about the ADAM than actually writing the code.

3. Create a DOS driver that can boot from the cart and load any program from the cart as if it were on a disk. This could be pretty useful but I don't know if such a thing exists.

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2017 at 10:47 AM, DGS-Atari said:

Here's a copy of the demonstration disk put out by Don't Ask Software back in the day showcasing SAM along with some of their other products if anyone needs it.

This disk is very weird. Do you remember where it came from or how it came into existence?

1. It is enhaced density and dated 1983. ED was released only in late 83.
  2. It contains the copy protection code from S.A.M. but has the relevant parts NOPed out which makes it seem like a crack.
  3. Other parts of the protection have not been replaced which makes it seem not to be a crack.
  4. The title screen is loaded in a way which hardly any cracker would chose.
Edited by DjayBee

On 3/24/2020 at 9:21 PM, DjayBee said:

This disk is very weird. Do you remember where it came from or how it came into existence?

1. It is enhaced density and dated 1983. ED was released only in late 83.
  2. It contains the copy protection code from S.A.M. but has the relevant parts NOPed out which makes it seem like a crack.
  3. Other parts of the protection have not been replaced which makes it seem not to be a crack.
  4. The title screen is loaded in a way which hardly any cracker would chose.

Sorry, I can't remember to be honest. I used to get a lot of stuff sent to me from other libraries in the States back in the day, which is probably where it came from.

• Like 1