IGNORED

Keeping it simple: famous quotes

TheBF

I was just reading a paper on porting systems and it included these two quotes by famous computer scientists.

Thought I would share here. I love the 1st one! And I have some experience to prove he's correct. :D

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.

Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,

by definition, not smart enough to debug it." (Brian Kernighan)

"The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own skull;

therefore he approaches the programming task in full humility, and among other things

he avoids clever tricks like the plague." (Edsger Dijkstra)

• Like 5

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

or in English:

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

or in English:

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

This is great!

• 2 weeks later...

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC as potential programmers.

They are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

Edsger W. Dijkstra

As demonstrated by many people here, it's not impossible, but this statement emphasizes the point that the BASIC language paradigm

​alters the perspective of programming enough that you must fight hard against it to learn a new programming language model