IGNORED

stupus' Epoch Cassette Vision & Super Cassette Vision collection

stupus

Well I have put off sharing pics of any of my collections for so long, I decided I need to start doing so!

This is a site you might never likely see....

complete and nearly cib collections for the Epoch Cassette Vision & Super Cassette Vision!

I am only missing the manuals for SCV #18 Star Speeder & #29 SkyKid. If anyone could help with these 2 it would be extremely appreciated!

These games are quite hard to find, but they are probably 1 of my favorite collections.

The SCV artwork is beautiful, the boxes are tiny and well made. The carts are very tiny and cute and every cart shell is made of a different bright colored plastic!

The CV boxes are hard plastic and similar to cassette tape cases. All the CV carts are black except for #12 which was white....and its very hard to find.

I hope to add more pics later of all the carts and manuals. For now here are all the game boxes:

post-26050-0-73712400-1498066904_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-40427000-1498066941_thumb.jpg

above are all 11 Epoch Cassette Vision games cib. Note that #10 was never released.

post-26050-0-66940800-1498067001_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-23304800-1498067101_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-10904400-1498067046_thumb.jpg

above is all 30 Epoch Super Cassette Vision games, all are cib except for 3 titles which are missing manuals.

Note that #23 was a Basic cart and came in a much larger box with a book manual with a slipcover. The box was similar in size to boxes for Atari and colecovision etc.

Also note that 2 versions of #5 baseball were made, 1 endorsed by a famous Asian baseball player of the time, giants player Hara Tatsunori. Its the box at the far lower right in the group picture.

post-26050-0-19788300-1498067300_thumb.jpg

above are some variant boxes. the top 2 show the epoch releases and their French yeno release counterparts.

Yeno released about 1/2 the titles in variant boxes and cart labels in France.

Then the bottom 2 show the 2 versions Epoch made for Nebula and Baseball.

I also have both game systems cib as well as the jr. version of the Cassette Vision.

I also have the pistol cib for the Cassette Vision that was made to be used with game #4 Big Sports-12.

I'm still looking for the Super Lady Cassette Vision variant! ^^ lol

I will add photos of these at a later time.

Enjoy!

Edited by stupus
  • Like 8

As requested by Dillweed, here is a scan of the inside and outside cover/manual for the cassettevision game elevator panic.

It is by far the rarest cassettevision game and the only cart with a white shell as opposed to the other games with black shells.

(Links are fullsize bmp files.)

elevator panic - cassettevision - insert outside.bmp

elevator panic - cassettevision - insert inside.bmp

post-26050-0-30291900-1531498522_thumb.png

post-26050-0-71925400-1531498567_thumb.png

Edited by stupus
  • Like 1

*Also note that the Cassette Vision was Japans first cartridge based game console ever made!

Edited by stupus
*Realized later that i forgot about the Toshiba Visicom. It was Japans first cart based system. It was basically like a RCA Studio 4!
  • Like 1

Of course you would have Super Cassette Vision stuff. :-D :P

Really cool! We don't see or hear much about these systems around here. They look pretty interesting--wasn't there even a version of Miner 2049er for it, or am I thinking of the SG-1000?

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I picked up a loose Yeno Super Cassette Vision (thus the French version) at a friend in July 2014. It came with two common carts, Astro Wars and Astro Wars II.

Since then I have expanded so now I've got a total of 16 different cartridges, most loose but a few boxed, plus a boxed Japanese console. Some I've got duplicates and triplicates of. There are a few eBay sellers in Japan and a few in Europe who have imported those.

When it comes to prices, I find that both the system and the common cartridges tend to be among the cheapest to collect - possibly cheaper than Atari 2600 even. Just wait out for the Japanese sellers posting them on eBay, don't be fooled by Western resellers asking ridiculous amounts for the same items. Of course shipping on individual games from Japan is a total killer, but if you neglect shipping costs the actual games are very cheap. Then of course are the uncommon and rare titles, which range to rather high amounts on the other end, so despite a small library it has a huge price range it seems. So far I'm only picking up the cheap games, not spending $30++ on a loose cartridge even if it is hard to find.

And yes, both Miner 2049er and Boulder Dash (among others) exist for the Super Cassette Vision, in somewhat Japanese adapted versions. The main character in these games look nothing like they do on the Atari 8-bit, C64 etc home computers, more like NES or Sega games though in lower resolution. If you have never seen a Super Cassette Vision in action, it looks like a VIC-20 with a vastly expanded palette, 128 hardware sprites and some scrolling abilities. Sound wise though it seems particularly weak, I suppose two voice polyphony is stretching it a bit.

But no, despite I have some dupilcates I have nothing that Stupus already doesn't have in better condition.

• Like 4

Of course you would have Super Cassette Vision stuff. :-D :P

Really cool! We don't see or hear much about these systems around here. They look pretty interesting--wasn't there even a version of Miner 2049er for it, or am I thinking of the SG-1000?

Lol. Of course I do Jeff! :D

and yes like carlsson said there is a miner, and mappy, pole position, boulderdash.

And of course the 1st Dragonball videogame ever made.

This is the most pricey title by far. It sells for about $300 cib even in japan.

I think a couple others are probably more rare than it, but it's rare and the name recognition put it over the top.

I'm Jelly. I coudln't even find those carts in Akihabara.

Yeah, I think in Japan even the most common games are still fairly htf.

It's taken alot if patience to finally have every game.

Edited by stupus
  • Like 1

@carlsson:

Yeah I would like to get a yeno system and more of the game variants for it. They seem to be even more rare than the epoch stuff even.

Sounds like you can't help me with my 3 missing manuals???? :)

I thought Pole Position II was the rarest game, but perhaps Dragonball as being a more popular (?!?) brand than Pole Position would have the collector values shifted around.

I agree that dragonball is likely not the rarest. But it's rarity coupled with its brand definitely make it the most expensive. Pole position 2 is definitely rare, being the last game made must certainly be part of that.

Others that are very rare are dragonslayer (almost never see this, and it's an oversized cart with a battery inside), and mappy and monster land. The alternate release of baseball is also very htf. ;)

It reminds me of mineI sold at least 7/8 years ago.To concern myself about something elseI left it online

http://www.rhod.fr/yeno_epoch.html

nice collection

Thanks rhod!

Oh yes I know your site well!

It was great help when I didn't know this system well.

Great you left it up! There really is no other page with as much scv info like yours :thumbsup:

At one point I planned to set up a spreadsheet with every eBay auction I spotted. Items, sale date, final price etc. Alas this has not yet materialized, but I strongly believe I've seen a few Dragonslayer carts for sale in the past 2.5+ years I have paid attention. Way out of my league financially though, but for comparison I haven't seen a single Pole Position cartridge for sale.

Anyway, a cute system with its pastel coloured cartridges. Is it properly emulated? I understand something like a multicart does not yet exist, or at least I haven't seen anything about a such. Then again I love the oddball systems almost more than I love the mainstream systems so not odd that I would get to like it, in particular when the common cartridges before shipping are much cheaper than e.g. NES cartridges for which there ought to exist tons and tons of games but prices anyway are kept moderately high.

• Like 2

It would be neat to track sales.

I am not as aggressive at tracking them now that I'm down to just 3 manuals.

I agree I have seen 1 or 2 dragonslayer the last few years. I think 1 sat at a high bin for a long time.

I agree I don't recall seeing pole position 2 though like you say.

I am not into emulation nearly what I was a few years ago.

But if memory serves the scv has its own emulator and also can be emulated in mess. I think all titles are dumped.

The original cassette vision last I knew the games were very hard to dump and only 1 guy knew how and he would not share them with the community.

This has been a few years though so not sure if that's still the case.

I love oddball stuff as well. Glad I collected oddball stuff as a priority over mainstream systems as now the oddball stuff is even harder to find. ;)

While it is not my intention to hijack your thread, I can casually mention which games I have acquired so far.

1. Astro Wars: loose Yeno

2. Battle in Galaxy (3): CIB Epoch, loose Epoch + loose Yeno

3. Super Golf (2): CIB Epoch + boxed Epoch w/o instructions

4. Super Mahjong (2): CIB Epoch + boxed Epoch w/o instructions

5. Super Baseball: loose Epoch

6. Punchy Boy: loose Epoch

7. Elevator Fight: loose Epoch

9. Nebula (2): boxed Epoch w/o instructions + loose Epoch

10. Wheelie Racer: loose Epoch

11. Boulder Dash: loose Epoch

12. Miner 2049er: loose Epoch

13. Super Soccer: CIB Epoch

15. Milky Princess: loose Epoch

16. Pop & Chips: loose Epoch

17. Kung Fu Road: loose Epoch

22. Doraemon: loose Epoch

Thus I have just over half the library after three years of slow collecting titles at low prices, though most of them just loose cartridges.

• Like 2

Thanks John! Do you collect these?

@carlsson: no worries, I started this thread also in hopes to start some good scv conversation ;)

Nice to hear what you have found so far!

I would like to collect for this system, just have not gotten a great deal on them yet.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Mainly it is the font at that wide resolution which makes it look like enhanced VIC games. Honestly, even the Sharp MZ computers used more or less the same font, though at higher horizontal resolution. I suppose it was a common style so perhaps Epoch didn't just copy it off anyone else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to this auction, the Cassette Vision Jr came with a power supply that outputs 6V DC, minimum 300 mA, centre negative.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOCH-CASSETTE-VISION-Jr-Console-System-Boxed-Tested-Made-in-JAPAN-Game-2408-/301365679303

That is different from the Super Cassette Vision which takes 9V DC, minimum 500 mA (IIRC), centre negative. That happens to be the same as the Famicom, ZX Spectrum, Genesis etc.

I don't know which other systems use 6V but if you have a switchable power supply you should be able to configure it properly.

• Like 1