IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

On the HD side, it sounds just like it's supposed to.

This one might need to be advertised even more, on other forums and social media. In the wake of the SNES Mini announcement yesterday, I mentioned in a FB group that nobody there yet had brought to attention the new lineup by AtGames, and was rather immediately told by sensible people that those devices have such a bad reputation, in particular when it comes to sound and controllers, that just about nobody really bothers anymore. I know you preach the gospel here and elsewhere, but we all collectively should help pushing the message that the 2017 HD editions of AtGames' products will be something else than what the old versions were, before the world goes entirely Nintendo.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

The screens on the portables are both 2.8" diagonal. It's about the LCD supply available.

Is that the same, larger, or smaller than last year's portables?

Agreed with carlssen about the need to talk up the new technology in the HD editions. It's a pity there won't be just one great product in each series instead of many confusing, overlapping variations.

• Like 1

Is that the same, larger, or smaller than last year's portables?

Agreed with carlssen about the need to talk up the new technology in the HD editions. It's a pity there won't be just one great product in each series instead of many confusing, overlapping variations.

My position is the same. I think market confusion is a bad thing. I would have just went with the HDs and portables. The fact of the matter is is that some retailers need low priced SKUs as well, so that's why the SD stuff is still a thing. I'm assuming that the three HD consoles will redeem AtGames by word of mouth, as well as through proper press reviews this year. In any case, it will take time.

In terms of screen sizes, I believe it's the same as the final version of last year's Atari Portable. I will of course strongly advise increasing screen sizes for 2018 considering our eyes are not getting any younger (along with the rest of us). It's also a possibility that the tech will be changed up for 2018 as well, which should further help.

• Like 6

I can't seem to find the post, but did I hear correctly that the Genesis units will have Sega Master System and Game Gear games included?

EDIT: Found it.... It was in the spreadsheet on the first page.

Phantasy Star 1 is on the HDMI version?

Too bad its not on the handheld. I'd be jumping at that,.

Edited by Inky

Just looked at that sheet too, yes Phantasy Star 1 is on the HD only Genesis as are a few other GG/SMS games from skimming it. I don't know how many in total are there, but, it also appears there's little to any amateur side show filler titles for once so it's a pretty meaty quality line up, sadly can not be said for the other two devices. But as pointed out, there's hopes for change on that front next year.

I don't want to sound negative on this stuff because believe me I've had a couple of the Genesis handhelds and they're amusing enough if you are fine with the shortcomings as they have a solid set up (last one I had was the MK black box one.) I can't say I would not bother with the HD Genesis, if anything, only because after reviewing that list I see some former odd omissions have been added into the fold and the SMS+GG is a bonus.

I still have the ATGames Arcade Portable thing that has 30 Game Gear and Master System titles and I love to pull that out now and again so I keep it in my desk. That thing is amazing fun and it doesn't have the audio problems. I used to have a SMS (twice over time) and second time around had it and the handheld at the same time and it does not commit any disservice. That said, I would think their upcoming HD counterparts (the Sonics, PStar1, Baku Baku) could not possibly be botched so that's fantastic.

It would be interesting to know if the Powerbase Convertor would work on that HD box, then you could get ALL the Master System games going on that HD unit. It's not unheard of, the lame retron5 does it.

EDIT: There is overlap I'm seeing too from the old handheld I have. The three SMS Alex Kidd games (minus Shinobi World on both), Baku Baku Animal, Bomber, Columns, Fantasy Zone, Gain Ground, Golden Axe, Mean Bean Machine, Ristar, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift 2, Spinball and Triple Trouble, and Tails Adventure both have.

Assault City, Astro Warrior, Aztec Adventure, Dragon Crystal, Ecco, Global Defense, Kung Fu Kid, Opa Opa, Penguin Land, Putt and Putter, Quartet, Snail Maze, Super Columns, and The Ninja ...those do not.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I picked a portable last year, and will pass until the screen size is changed. I am, however, really interested in the Flashback Gold Activision Edition. I have a Flashback 2 and never thought I'd get another, but am strongly considering this one. It would be nice to plug this into my HD set so my friends younger kids could play Atari.

Hmm... this reminds me of one thing I wondered when I saw that the portable includes the newly programmed Pac-Man version...

How long will it take until there's a plug-and-play unit including new games like Flappy Bird and 2048? Or is there already one on the market?

I just want to point out that any game lists you see for now are not final. There will be an official announcement eventually (before the pre-order and/or ship dates) that will list the final inclusions. There will be some nice surprises here and there (and a few minor omissions) from what you've all seen to date.

While their last one was okay sound wise (at least okay for tiny speakers), the lack of being able to save games made me not want to play it. I really wanted to finally win Starflight, but decided instead to buy one of those DB9 to USB adapters so I can connect a Genesis controller up to my computer and use an emulator.

Starflight is probably my favorite Genesis game of all time (with the possible exception of Lakers v Celtics). The only thing that takes longer to beat the game (which I have yet to do) is read through the entire manual, which includes a great short story (which I have also yet to do). If this new console will let me save my game, I might actually finish it.

• Like 1

Starflight is probably my favorite Genesis game of all time (with the possible exception of Lakers v Celtics). The only thing that takes longer to beat the game (which I have yet to do) is read through the entire manual, which includes a great short story (which I have also yet to do). If this new console will let me save my game, I might actually finish it.

The HD console will have multiple save state slots for each of the built-in games, as well as a shared pool of save state slots for cartridge games. The SD console and handheld will only save games for the built-in RPGs.

• Like 4

The HD console will have multiple save state slots for each of the built-in games, as well as a shared pool of save state slots for cartridge games. The SD console and handheld will only save games for the built-in RPGs.

Bill, I don't know you but I could kiss you right now. This is the best news I've heard since... well, since I heard that AtGames was making a console that looked just like the original Sega Genesis. My biggest problem with a lot of games is I get 30 minutes in and then have to leave because, I'm an adult now and have other responsibilities. Being able to save my games I have on cartridge would be so amazing. I guess it's safe to say that I know what I want for my birthday this September.

• Like 1

Is there any documentation that shows the iterative differences between the various 2600 Flashbacks throughout the years, including this new one? . I've come to realize I have like 2 or 3 and am getting confused. :lol:

Flashback 1 looked like a mini 7800 but was a nintendo-on-a-chip with reprogrammed games.

Flashback 2 was the VCS-on-a-chip and was easily modifiable to add your own cartridge slot. It had Pitfall and River Raid onboard, and original-style joysticks.

Flashback 3 was the first AtGames unit, running an emulator on an ARM-based chip.

Flashback 4 through 7 are the same kind of thing, but with infrared wireless controllers. There's a 64 in there somewhere, with 64 games onboard. They added more games as they went along, so newer is generally better.

Flashback 8 is back to wired controllers, and 8 Gold is the HDMI version, in two variants. One has more Activision games onboard.

Wikipedia's article is OK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback

• Like 6

Arthur I'm on fire

Er, may I ask where you got that translation? The anime TV series' Japanese name does include the (intransitive) verb "to burn" ("moeru"), but it's in the imperative form "moero," not the "moete iru" which is what would be "I am burning/on fire." Instead, it's more like "Burn Up, Arthur" (or as I translated it in an earlier post, "Blaze Forth, Arthur," since we don't literally tell people to burn up in English when we just want them to be passionate). Incidentally, the name of the season two opening theme (the one used in Frogger) translates to "I am Arthur."

I just want to point out that any game lists you see for now are not final.

What would you say are the chances that the Sega Flashback will contain only Genesis and SMS/GG games, and 0 generics? So that is isn't, you know, really the Sega [and Someone Else] Flashback. :)

How long will it take until there's a plug-and-play unit including new games like Flappy Bird and 2048? Or is there already one on the market?

Look no further than last year! The Retro-Bit Generations contained a homebrew SNES port of 2048 and a homebrew SNES clone of Flappy Bird. Caveat: that system's SNES emulation had noticeable speed issues.

Is there any documentation that shows the iterative differences between the various 2600 Flashbacks throughout the years, including this new one? . I've come to realize I have like 2 or 3 and am getting confused. :lol:

I maintain a page at my website which lists all the retro games on each of a very large number of plug-n-play systems. There are also notes on which games have bugs, are hampered by a 4-way stick, were retailer exclusives, came with overlays, are homebrews, are M Network games, etc. It's not quite what you're looking for, since it doesn't explicitly display iterative differences between the various Atari Flashbacks' content, but it has the raw materials you could use to generate such a display. Here's a highlight reel to add to what Flojomojo wrote:

2004 - FB1, by Atari/Legacy Engineering

2005 - FB2, by Atari/Legacy Engineering

2010 - FB2+, by Atari/Legacy Engineering; initiated by a General Mills promotional tie-in and replaced a few FB2 games, including the Activision ones, with a few sports games

2011 - FB3, by AtGames

2012 - FB4, by AtGames; added some Taito-licensed games and removed Secret Quest, which wasn't fully playable due to the hardware not having a B/W-color switch

2013 - FB64, by AtGames; cut-down, reduced-price version of FB4

2014 - FB5, by AtGames; added a bunch of games from homebrew publisher Good Deal Games and from the Mattel M Network label (this is the year the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks were released); dropped Battlezone, which Atari had sold to Rebellion

2015 - FB6, by AtGames; added something like 8 Atari-owned games, including the return of the still-broken Secret Quest

2016 - FB7, by AtGames; added Frogger and fixed Secret Quest with a workaround

2017 - FB8, by AtGames; and the adventure continues . . .

onmode-ky

• Like 4

What would you say are the chances that the Sega Flashback will contain only Genesis and SMS/GG games, and 0 generics? So that is isn't, you know, really the Sega [and Someone Else] Flashback. :)

There are still generics on there.

All of the game lists are now final save for one. We're still waiting on some last tests for the Activision HD to see if one game in particular makes the cut. That should mean the final lists may get released soon.

• Like 1

There are still generics on there.

All of the game lists are now final save for one. We're still waiting on some last tests for the Activision HD to see if one game in particular makes the cut. That should mean the final lists may get released soon.

Pitfall 2? :D

• Like 1

Er, may I ask where you got that translation? The anime TV series' Japanese name does include the (intransitive) verb "to burn" ("moeru"), but it's in the imperative form "moero," not the "moete iru" which is what would be "I am burning/on fire." Instead, it's more like "Burn Up, Arthur" (or as I translated it in an earlier post, "Blaze Forth, Arthur," since we don't literally tell people to burn up in English when we just want them to be passionate). Incidentally, the name of the season two opening theme (the one used in Frogger) translates to "I am Arthur."

I got it from Google Translate. I pulled up the japanese Wikipedia page (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%83%83%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC_(%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0) for Frogger which lists (some of) the background music, and then let Google translate the paragraph that lists the songs. It comes up like this:

"In the main BGM of the arcade version of this work, the opening song "To Rock River" of TV animation "Aaronakuma Rascal" that was being televised at that time was used. Besides this, at the start, various existing sounds were used for BGM in the game such as "Nursery rhymes" such as "dogs policemen". These sounds have been replaced with some other songs from the rights relationship at the time of porting to home use. Even outside this work, many of Konami's works of this period diverted existing sounds from TV animation etc.

"To Rock River" Rascal Rascal OP

"Dog's Omamori" Japanese nursery rhymes

"Alps 1 Ten thousand" American folk song

"Lunulun the Flower" Lun Lun OP of the Flower OP

'Tell me' Alps girl Heidi OP

"Arthur I'm on fire Arthur Prince of Hakuba OP

"A good day's departure"

In addition, in this work, BGM changed according to deployment in the BGM aspect and progress was seen compared with the work of the company until that time. [2]"

I then searched for the original Japanese names on Youtube and looked what it came up with. But for this song it didn't come up with an English name. It could well be that Google's translation is imperfect. Actually, I went through a pretty long Frogger video until the tunes started to repeat (

) and looked for tunes I could recognize, either from the Sierra C-64 version or from somewhere else. Here's the list I came up with (using Google's translation where I didn't know the song otherwise and there was no English title provided):

Start of game: Start Theme (Doggy Cop and Lost Kitty)

-> BGM = Hidy Hidy Little Rascal (

)

1: unknown -> BGM

2: unknown -> BGM

3: Heidi / Oshiete (japanese) -> BGM

4: unknown -> BGM

5: Level End -> BGM

Level 2:

1: unknown -> BGM

2: Erzerherzog-Johann-Jodler (Verse) -> BGM

3: Erzerherzog-Johann-Jodler (Chorus) -> BGM

4: unknown -> BGM

Level 3:

1: unknown folk song -> BGM

2: unknown folk song -> BGM

3: Variation over BGM -> BGM

4: unknown (Swing)

Level 4:

1: Yankee Doodle Pt. 1 -> BGM

2: Yankee Doodle Pt. 2 -> BGM

3: unknown -> BGM

4: Joy to the world (Christmas song) -> BGM

Level 5:

1: ùnknown -> BGM

2: unknown -> BGM

3: Tampico (Heino) -> BGM

4: Arthur I'm on fire Arthur Prince of Hakuba OP -> BGM

Loss of life: Camptown Races -> BGM

The numbers 1. through 5. denote the number of frogs saved on that level after which that tune starts to play.

• Like 1