IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

I hope they get the sound right on this new Genesis console. Is it just really difficult to emulate the Yamaha sound chip that was in the Sega Genesis?

There are no sound issues with the HD model. The SD and handheld will sound similar to past models.

• Like 1

Just found out that what I denoted as "Tampico" (Heino) could also be "Adalita" (Trini Lopez) since the excerpt played in Frogger is the start of both songs, although two different composers are given for them. Maybe it's really a Mexican foljk song, and the "composers" did not compose the main melody.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

Pitfall 2? :D

Beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing! Pitfall 2 is the best (except for Kaboom maybe)!

I beat you both to it back on page 2 herein this exact same thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266964-atgames-fall-2017-flashback-and-portable-lineup/?p=3790298

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

• 2 weeks later...

"Alps 1 Ten thousand" American folk song

That's Google Translate screwing up "Alps 10,000 Feet," which is the name by which Japan knows the tune of "Yankee Doodle."

"Arthur I'm on fire Arthur Prince of Hakuba OP

Wow, Google, that is all sorts of messed up. The software apparently decided to take the "I am" from the song title "I am Arthur" and hook it onto the "Burn up/Blaze forth" part of the TV series title (which, again, is in the verb's imperative mood form and thus doesn't match), hence the bonkers "I'm on fire." Then it inexplicably leaves 白馬 untranslated as "Hakuba," as if it were a name instead of the noun "white (haku) horse (ba)." He's the Prince of the White Horse because he, y'know, rides a white horse. He's not the prince of some place called "Whitehorse." This quality of translation can turn me into Onmode-ky of Redface.

It could well be that Google's translation is hilariously, preposterously imperfect.

I fixed that for you. :)

The box that is blue is the item for you.

The box that is white should make you take flight.

This kind of mnemonic device is typically useless to me. I still can't remember whether "red meets black" is good or bad for Jack, and whether "red meets yellow" is good or bad for fellow (talking about the color bands on a snake). I could easily get what you wrote above twisted up in my head as "The box that is blue is bad for you./The box that is white will make you take flight." (in which the latter is construed as a hallelujah moment). It's much simpler to remember "Buy the one that costs more." ;)

Speaking of which, I didn't miss out on any news on the AtGames 2017 prices or game lists, did I?

onmode-ky

P.S. In vaguely related news (same, or at least similar, product category), I asked toymaker The Bridge Direct a question a few months ago. I got no answer. Today, they finally . . . gave my question a "like." Still with no answer. What the heck?

• Like 1

Just get the best one. No news yet ...but we typically hear it here via Bill L first.

I'm finishing up a vacation this week, but I'll have final products in my hand by next week. I'll try to answer what questions I can that do not trump any official announcements.

• Like 4

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

• Like 5

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

I'm pretty certain that I will go for the Gold, but can't wait for the official list of games.

• Like 1

Once that happens, people will no longer feel the need to upgrade every year. Also, people will complain when certain games don't work. So therefore, it probably won't happen anytime soon. I still have my cartridge moddable FB2 that I haven't modded yet but I just use my Atari 2600 with Harmony and Svideo mod. It would be cool if there was a color-perfect HDMI mod meaning it read the bits out of the Atari and produced the color rather than going from analog to digital. I guess that is what the new Flashback is for or just use a PC with a Stelladapter.

With all that said, the ultimate Flashback would be one that comes with an SD slot, a cartridge slot, two sets of paddles that are lag free and have no jitter, two joysticks, HDMI and analog A/V outs, and it would play Pitfall 2. I am thinking about making a Raspberry Pi device, but it doesn't have cartridge slot options as far as I know. They need to make cartridge slot to USB adapters that read the cartridge and create a rom file in a temporary folder or something.

Ok I am done rambling and brainstorming I think. :-)

I don't want to post this in multiple places on AtariAge out of shear exhaustion and too many topics, but here's the deal on both units. A bad production run of the Sega HD got out to reviewers (including me). I'm trying to work with AtGames to get ahead of this, but I think the damage is already going to be done. AtGames is already working on the production fix, which may delay the target September release date.

The Atari HD review units are fine. It's not perfect, but performs the way you would expect.

As for my reviews, obviously I'm not going to bother reviewing the Sega HD unit until the actual fixed units are out there. There's no point. The review units are garbage and only hint at what it's supposed to be. It's an unfortunate mistake, but one that AtGames is working on fixing rather than putting that version out to the public.

I can't go into detail at this time, but I'm also working with Prima on a new Atari book (and possibly future books, like a Sega one) related to the Atari Flashback series and Atari in general. It has a super short production schedule (it's me as the lead author and four others to get it done in time), so it's really putting a crimp on my time. As such, my own review of the Atari HD unit may be delayed just a bit. More details to follow when Prima makes them public.

• Like 2