IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

Is there a FAQ about the differences of the Atari Flashback Portable 2016 and 2017 versions?

Did the emulation get improved or is it the same emulation as 2016?

No wireless controllers? No second player option? Didn't think there would be as this is simply a retooled Sega Gopher.

Did they make it where you could create your own menus and assign pictures like on the Sega Gopher? You mentioned that might be re-implemented on the 2017 AFP.

Those are my questions.

Is there a FAQ about the differences of the Atari Flashback Portable 2016 and 2017 versions?

Did the emulation get improved or is it the same emulation as 2016?

No wireless controllers? No second player option? Didn't think there would be as this is simply a retooled Sega Gopher.

Did they make it where you could create your own menus and assign pictures like on the Sega Gopher? You mentioned that might be re-implemented on the 2017 AFP.

Those are my questions.

It's not a retooled Sega Gopher. The only major similarities are superficial.

I have not had a chance to test the menu thing yet.

It's not a retooled Sega Gopher. The only major similarities are superficial.

I have not had a chance to test the menu thing yet.

That answers most of what I asked. Did they improve on the emulation?

That answers most of what I asked. Did they improve on the emulation?

It was only improved to work with the games that are built-in that were previously not directly compatible, like Galaxian. I have not had a chance to do any testing to determine if that means some other incompatible games, like Berzerk, now work. The assumption is whatever was broken previously is probably still broken.

There were also some UI/UX tweaks, like the difficulty display selection no longer being persistent on the screen.

• Like 3

It would be nice if when on the menu screen and it shows the box art if you could also press one of the buttons to bring up a simple instruction text of how to play the selected game. I swear with most of these games I have no idea of what to do. I could go online and look it up, yes, but that is hard if not by a phone or computer and it is extra work.

• Like 2

In late July, I pre-ordered 2 Atari Flashback 8 Gold Consoles because the Gold Activision Edition was not available. I am really interested in Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition and wanted to confirm when pre-orders can be made and when it would ship:

(1) Late July - We could pre-order the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Console. The delivery date I was provided by Target was mid-to late Sept.

(2) Late Aug or late Sept - Pre-orders for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition

A few questions...

- For the Activision Edition, are pre-orders opening late Aug or late Sept?

- Is there an estimated ship date for Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition you can share?

- Are there any games in the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Console that *are not* in the Activision Edition?

- What are some reasons someone would want Atari Flashback 8 Gold Console over the Activision Edition?

Thanks!

Edited by TF14

A few questions...
- For the Activision Edition, are pre-orders opening late Aug or late Sept?
- Is there an estimated ship date for Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition you can share?
- Are there any games in the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Console that *are not* in the Activision Edition?
- What are some reasons someone would want Atari Flashback 8 Gold Console over the Activision Edition?
Thanks!

I posted the current pre-order schedule for the Activision HD earlier either in this thread or another. I can't recall at the moment. It will be 1 - 2 months AFTER the release of the Atari HD from what I remember.

As of right now, the Atari and Activision models will be identical, save for the latter having additional Activision games. It makes sense to wait for the Activision version, although who knows if the Atari version will have a sale price around the time the Activision one is released.

• Like 1

It would be nice if when on the menu screen and it shows the box art if you could also press one of the buttons to bring up a simple instruction text of how to play the selected game. I swear with most of these games I have no idea of what to do. I could go online and look it up, yes, but that is hard if not by a phone or computer and it is extra work.

We have concise instructions for the Sega HD and Atari HD consoles on the respective game menu screens. They're definitely handy. Perhaps in the future if we bump up the resolution then it will be practical to do the same on the portables.

• Like 1

Great Atari Flashback 8 Gold review by the Classic Game Room channel - https://youtu.be/i9WqxWdhA6A

I watched that review, did Mark get a production unit or a reviewer unit? I ask because I saw Fat Harry rear his ugly head.

No one expects perfect recreation of A2600 sound, but getting the right pitch shouldn't be too difficult or too much to ask from an $80 product. It wasn't back in 2004 when Pitfall was put on the Flashback 2.

• Like 1

We have concise instructions for the Sega HD and Atari HD consoles on the respective game menu screens. They're definitely handy. Perhaps in the future if we bump up the resolution then it will be practical to do the same on the portables.

You don't really need more resolution. Just a page of text telling what to do. If it needs more pages due to the resolution just use the pad to go forward and back a page. I wouldn't worry about more resolution (not much use for 2600), I would just make the screen bigger (not smaller like they did).

Also it would be nice if the firmware was upgrade-able so emulation and UI fixes could be made.

Edited by DaveC1964

I'm REALLY interested in both the Activision Atari unit and the new HD Sega Unit...

But the kicker for me is going to be the Paddles, and I don't think I'm alone. Just for Kaboom! really. But in seriousness, it may be a dealbreaker. And if they do include the Paddles, I'd be willing to go $89 or possibly $99.

For the Sega unit, I of course hope the problems get fixed...but I LOVE the design. And hope that any of the missing games can be solved by the cart slot, and hope it reads successfully from there & High Def's them up. If not, they're going to have to put Streets of Rage 2 and 3 on there. You can't do Sega without SOR in my opinion.

Frogger has been non-2600 version for a while now, hasn't it? One of the reasons seems to be all the music jingles that they couldn't license, and it was easier to reimplement the game in arcade like resolution minus the music than trying to hack the 2600 ROM to remove all music.

Bill just today said that it's now being worked on, now that the Sega fixes have been finished.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259236-2017-flashback-faq-and-speculation-thread/?p=3823250

So it's safe to say that this isn't a fixed unit that was reviewed.

I hope the menu navigation was fixed, too. That's the kind of thing we all take for granted and it makes a really bad impression if not designed in a way that makes it easy to use.

Frogger has been non-2600 version for a while now, hasn't it? One of the reasons seems to be all the music jingles that they couldn't license, and it was easier to reimplement the game in arcade like resolution minus the music than trying to hack the 2600 ROM to remove all music.

Then again, Frogger without the music isn't Frogger in my opinion, the music made it good.

Edited by DaveC1964
  • Like 1

I hope the menu navigation was fixed, too. That's the kind of thing we all take for granted and it makes a really bad impression if not designed in a way that makes it easy to use.

The menu navigation has been improved for the Sega HD. I'm not sure yet about the Atari HD. Like I said, it's only recently been worked on since the Sega HD was higher priority due to the deeper issues with the early units.

• Like 1

Bill, is the Atari 8 HD Activision version available for pre-order anywhere? I checked the above outlets and I don't see that version.

No. I forget what I said earlier (or was it another thread?) but it's going to be 1 - 2 months behind the Atari HD in its scheduling.

• Like 1

I'm REALLY interested in both the Activision Atari unit and the new HD Sega Unit...

But the kicker for me is going to be the Paddles, and I don't think I'm alone. Just for Kaboom! really. But in seriousness, it may be a dealbreaker. And if they do include the Paddles, I'd be willing to go $89 or possibly $99.

For the Sega unit, I of course hope the problems get fixed...but I LOVE the design. And hope that any of the missing games can be solved by the cart slot, and hope it reads successfully from there & High Def's them up. If not, they're going to have to put Streets of Rage 2 and 3 on there. You can't do Sega without SOR in my opinion.

Why not pick up paddles separately? Based on the some of the video review's I've seen, paddles seem to be supported (e.g., I've seen Kaboom and other games being played).

Edited by TF14

Why not pick up paddles separately? Based on the some of the video review's I've seen, paddles seem to be supported (e.g., I've seen Kaboom and other games being played).

I've had very poor luck with getting good used paddles (and am not handy with fixing stuff). Bought a few pairs (admittedly on the cheap) from local goodwills, game stores, etc and they'd work but were twitchy...tried some fixes. As Flojomojo said, I'd prefer, muuuuch prefer, new paddles. And I'm willing to pay for them. :)

• Like 1