IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

By the same token, they can only play the SD "card" once. And then they're right back to figuring out the next way to get people coming back, knowing that those customers might have bought their very last Flashback.

The ideas that come to mind are: start including homebrew games, and include well-known games from other Atari consoles like the 5200 and 7800.

While I can somewhat see the concern for them of only being able to play the sd card once, if they don't, I'm already at the point of not needing to ever buy another one. Why keep buying the same thing year after year, just for a handful of different games? But a version with HDMI and the sd card? Yes, I do need to get one.

I do very much like your idea of a future version doing both 7800 and 2600 games. And with all the great homebrews in recent years... Draconian....Anguna..Space Rocks...Zippy... and many more... That would also be a great inclusion for a future unit to have a homebrews assortment built in.

• Like 4

Seriously, cartridge and SD card support, among other improvements, are being considered for 2018. It's not purposely being held back.

That's good to hear. No doubt there's a bit of a juggle between manufacturing costs, wishes of the rights holder, and expected retail price. The handhelds just have the built in controller and little screen, so there's room in the budget for an SD card reader. The TV consoles have bigger packages, external controllers, wireless radios in the case of the HD units. If there were a higher quality version with all the features, even at a higher cost, I suspect many of us would jump at it. But then there's the issue of economies of scale ... these things are cheap and possible because they're done in bulk from China.

While I can somewhat see the concern for them of only being able to play the sd card once, if they don't, I'm already at the point of not needing to ever buy another one. Why keep buying the same thing year after year, just for a handful of different games? But a version with HDMI and the sd card? Yes, I do need to get one.

I do very much like your idea of a future version doing both 7800 and 2600 games. And with all the great homebrews in recent years... Draconian....Anguna..Space Rocks...Zippy... and many more... That would also be a great inclusion for a future unit to have a homebrews assortment built in.

Agreed, I haven't felt the need to buy a new one since AtGames took over. I only got a FB5 because I was going nuts in the store with the Coleco and INTV unit at the same time. I suspect most people are the same, buying one and done. An SD card wouldn't change much in terms of long term value.

• Like 1

5200, 7800, and new homebrews would be a definite incentive aside from the SD slot and/or an actual cart slot. With HDMI and a real working cart port it would negate the need for the (possible) Retron 77. I think this is ultimately where this needs to lead - a Retron 5 style console for Atari systems. So who does it first? Hyperkin or AtGames? My money goes to the winner.

• Like 4

Anyone have an expected date of release for the Activision version, or know of any place offering pre-orders? I picked up the Gold edition at GameStop and am wondering if it makes sense to wait. I also picked up the portable version, and while I haven't tried the SD card functionality yet, it works well. Thanks.

• Like 2

Seriously, cartridge and SD card support, among other improvements, are being considered for 2018. It's not purposely being held back.

Cartridge support would be great but stick a SD card slot in it and shrink it down to Classic NES size with two controller ports and HDMI out. Bump the price up to $99 and sell it direct and or to boutique shops as a special edition. Keep the lower tier models on the market for the Average Joes/Janes to buy as stocking stuffers around the holidays.

• Like 1

It's frustrating that this late in the game, Atgames still hasn't released the final list for the Activision version. What's the hold up? Licensing agreements?

There is no hold up other than coordinating the press release with the major retailer who will have the product first (but not exclusively).

• Like 3

It's frustrating that this late in the game, Atgames still hasn't released the final list for the Activision version. What's the hold up? Licensing agreements?

Not to mention ( and I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse ) the frustrating lack of Canadian distribution for these things. I don't get it. Sell them in Canadian Walmarts for Gods sake.

• Like 2

Nothing I can share. Should be soon. I'll ask though to see what I can/can't say.

If we can get broad guidance on when the press release will occur and then when pre-orders can be made that would be great (e.g., before Thanksgiving or after Thanksgiving). Thanks!

Not to mention ( and I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse ) the frustrating lack of Canadian distribution for these things. I don't get it. Sell them in Canadian Walmarts for Gods sake.

I share your pain. I finally gave in and border hopped to Best Buy and Walmart in the States to pick up the Flashback and the portable. Had to pay taxes on the way back, too...

• Like 3

Now that the AFB8 Gold is out in stores, too, I'd like to reiterate my earlier call to owners of 2017 AtGames systems. If you have one, or if you can find one, maybe you can hire The A-Team perhaps you could help with identifying elements of the system's guts. Photos of the insides, discoveries/explorations of debug menus, all of that would be very welcome. Ask not what AtariAge can do for you; ask what AtariAge can do for me!

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Anyone have an expected date of release for the Activision version, or know of any place offering pre-orders? I picked up the Gold edition at GameStop and am wondering if it makes sense to wait. I also picked up the portable version, and while I haven't tried the SD card functionality yet, it works well. Thanks.

No one has any info on a possible release date for the Activision edition?

That's the greedy bastard price. AtGames is asking $79.99 or $99.99 for the Deluxe edition (includes paddles). You can probably find them for less at Bed Bath & Beyond or Sams.

Our local Best Buy has the regular Gold edition for $69.99.

That's the greedy bastard price. AtGames is asking $79.99 or $99.99 for the Deluxe edition (includes paddles). You can probably find them for less at Bed Bath & Beyond or Sams.

Our local Best Buy has the regular Gold edition for $69.99.

See my post on last page. They arent the gold or activision, but sams has regular deluxe with paddles for 40.

• Like 1

I share your pain. I finally gave in and border hopped to Best Buy and Walmart in the States to pick up the Flashback and the portable. Had to pay taxes on the way back, too...

Maybe if you reveal the ultimate easter egg in Haunted Adventure Trilogy they will sell them in Canada.