IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

So Indy 500 will work with a paddle then? I can't imagine using a joystick!

AtGames must have modified the inputs in the emulator so it could at least work with a joystick, since the stock unit doesn't come with paddles. That's what they did with the Atari Portable, anyway -- paddle games like Circus Atari and Night Driver took joystick input. It works about as well as you'd expect.

Atari driving controls are weird. I wonder who had the bright idea to make a steering wheel go all the way around? Real steering wheels aren't like that. Maybe they should have reversed the names.

No. It works with a joystick only like it always has on the Flashbacks. It's unlikely a driving controller will ever be supported for the one game.

Based on what Flojomojo said about night driver and circus atari was based on joystick input, would those work with a paddle input like the original Atari? I'm thinking they would since AT Games made paddles for a reason...

Based on what Flojomojo said about night driver and circus atari was based on joystick input, would those work with a paddle input like the original Atari? I'm thinking they would since AT Games made paddles for a reason...

Yes, like always, paddle games work with either joysticks or paddles on the Flashbacks. You can read the reviews for more info, like the one I posted to Armchair Arcade.

• Like 2

There is no hold up other than coordinating the press release with the major retailer who will have the product first (but not exclusively).

Nothing I can share. Should be soon. I'll ask though to see what I can/can't say.

No one has any info on a possible release date for the Activision edition?

We'll release info soon. One retailer will have a small exclusivity window, but it will be widely available after that.

What Bill can't say...... and you did NOT hear it from me neither ;-)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-Flashback-8-Gold-Activision-Edition-with-Build-In-130-Games-HDMI-Output-and-Two-Wireless-Controllers/500265566

post-2652-0-50065500-1509574006_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Feel free to cross-post, but this is the final, official game list that will be in the retail version of the Atari Flashback 8 Gold: Activision Edition: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2017/11/01/atari-flashback-8-gold-activision-edition-2017-official-game-list/

• Like 5

What Bill can't say...... and you did NOT hear it from me neither ;-)

Thanks for that. Yeah, there was no way to get the press release pushed through in time, so that works. As you could see from the previous post I got authorization to release the list.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for posting info for the Activision Edition. Looks like the addition of Atlantis and DragonFire is enough to change my mind to get that version over the regular Gold Edition. The only other thing I'm wondering is will AT Games release a deluxe version of the Atctivision Edition with paddles? I would gladly wait for that!

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 2

Feel free to cross-post, but this is the final, official game list that will be in the retail version of the Atari Flashback 8 Gold: Activision Edition: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2017/11/01/atari-flashback-8-gold-activision-edition-2017-official-game-list/

Cool to finally see this! The lack of Pitfall 2 and the licensed games was entirely anticipated, but I'm a little curious why Barnstorming and Robot Tank didn't make the cut. Emulation issues, perhaps?

Cool to finally see this! The lack of Pitfall 2 and the licensed games was entirely anticipated, but I'm a little curious why Barnstorming and Robot Tank didn't make the cut. Emulation issues, perhaps?

Yes. (and before anyone asks or questions, if all goes well, such issues related to overall game compatibility may be more or less resolved once and for all next year)

• Like 7

I saw a link within the last 48 hrs but I can't remember where. Had a breakdown with what games were in what version of Flashback 8. Basic / Gold / Activision Gold and which ones were exclusive to which version. Can't find where that link went now. Anyone have it? Danke.

Edit: Found it. Was here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3crT89BHvGiUzMtR3FDendmQVE/view

Edited by Joe Siegler
  • Like 5

While I am disappointed there's no paddles...and that Subterranea, No Escape, Cosmic Ark and a few others didn't make the cut...

This looks great and I'm quite ecstatic that Demon Attack is there, and the list is a really great list all things considered.

My personal favorites: Aquaventure, Atari Climber, Cosmic Commuter, Crackpots, of course Demon Attack, Dodge Em, Off the Wall, Pressure Cooker, Save Mary, Seaquest, Stampede, and Yar's Revenge. Last step is to decide when I'm ordering it. :) But the Activision Gold version will be the one for me, thanks mostly to Demon Attack and Dragon Fire. :)

Thanks everyone for posting info for the Activision Edition. Looks like the addition of Atlantis and DragonFire is enough to change my mind to get that version over the regular Gold Edition. The only other thing I'm wondering is will AT Games release a deluxe version of the Atctivision Edition with paddles? I would gladly wait for that!

Many thanks for the Walmart link! Free 2-day shipping has it arriving this Saturday!

Your welcome!

While I am disappointed there's no paddles...and that Subterranea, No Escape, Cosmic Ark and a few others didn't make the cut...

This looks great and I'm quite ecstatic that Demon Attack is there, and the list is a really great list all things considered.

My personal favorites: Aquaventure, Atari Climber, Cosmic Commuter, Crackpots, of course Demon Attack, Dodge Em, Off the Wall, Pressure Cooker, Save Mary, Seaquest, Stampede, and Yar's Revenge. Last step is to decide when I'm ordering it. :) But the Activision Gold version will be the one for me, thanks mostly to Demon Attack and Dragon Fire. :)

If I recall correctly, Activision didn't make all of those available. Cosmic Ark might have had a compatibility issue, though.

I feel your pain, I really do. I read books daily almost exclusively on the Kindle app on my iPad Pro. I just don't think they ever do Kindle books. My impression is that they're primarily focused on brick and mortar stores. I'm also not sure if their books lend themselves well to digital reading because of the way they're laid out. In fact, I don't even know what the "second screen experience" is for this book, but I imagine it will have to have a completely different layout to be useful. Hopefully my author copies come before the wide release.

They say it's a web version. If it can't work offline and will go away if/when they take the website down, that's not much of a substitute.

Free Mobile-Friendly eGuide: Includes a code to access the eGuide, a web-access version of the complete guide optimized for a second-screen experience.

The paper version looks nice, but I have so much other useless stuff like it already, and I know the Atari history and games by heart, so I'm not buying it.

I'd happily pay for a proper eBook version, though if this were my product, I'd just drop a free PDF or ePub on the web as a gesture of goodwill. (yes I would be a terrible business person)

The paper version looks nice, but I have so much other useless stuff like it already, and I know the Atari history and games by heart, so I'm not buying it.

While I wrote a history chapter as chapter 1, and an AtGames chapter as chapter 2, the rest of the book (done by myself and the other authors) is basically like a remixed manual for 67 Atari published games, interspersed with extra images and things like fun facts. So yeah, I think of it more as a manual compendium/reference than anything else. It's really needed because there's not a great way of including full manuals with the Flashback products or even for those who use the real systems or emulators. That's obviously particularly handy with all the game variations and some of the subtler game options that are all too easy to gloss over since we (the collective we, as in the general audience) tend to think of Atari 2600 games as simple start and go diversions when there's a whole lot more going on below the surface.

• Like 4