IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

The HD units will be back in 2018 and with improvements. If anything, the SD units will undergo overhauls to be more like the HD units. As for "not caring," it's all in we're you're looking from I guess.

And just for the record, I consider the Polygon review bad form. It's really not reflective of what it actually is. Hopefully next time they'll have a different reviewer on the product.

That sounds promising. I think I'm still going to pick up the Atari and Sega HD units. I'm not a perfectionist, so hopefully they will be solid units.

Not actually new here; I've browsed this forum since first getting into the Flashback series last year. I'm breaking my silence because I finally feel I have something to share here that hasn't been, to my knowledge, even hushed about: two additional '17 "Deluxe" Flashbacks have appeared on the AtGames website.

http://atgames.us/Atari-Flashback-8-Gold-DELUXE-AR3620X.htm

http://atgames.us/Atari-Flashback-Portable-Deluxe-AP3228X.htm

So far the only discernible difference is the Gold (Non-Activision) Deluxe Edition comes with paddles, and the Portable Deluxe comes with an A/V cord- both of which add $20 to the MSRP.

• Like 2

The HD units will be back in 2018 and with improvements. If anything, the SD units will undergo overhauls to be more like the HD units. As for "not caring," it's all in we're you're looking from I guess.

And just for the record, I consider the Polygon review bad form. It's really not reflective of what it actually is. Hopefully next time they'll have a different reviewer on the product.

Even with the Polygon review, the Sega HD console's pre-orders are sold out at Target - https://www.target.com/p/sega-genesis-flashback-hd-2017-console/-/A-52604747#lnk=sametab

Yikes! $99.99

This is obviously because of the paddles. I would gladly pay that knowing it was $80. New paddles alone are $30 on At Games site and that's if they are ever in stock, which they are not! I'm sure the stores will sell this for around $80-90 as they are always cheaper than At Games.

Not actually new here; I've browsed this forum since first getting into the Flashback series last year. I'm breaking my silence because I finally feel I have something to share here that hasn't been, to my knowledge, even hushed about: two additional '17 "Deluxe" Flashbacks have appeared on the AtGames website.

So far the only discernible difference is the Gold (Non-Activision) Deluxe Edition comes with paddles, and the Portable Deluxe comes with an A/V cord- both of which add $20 to the MSRP.

This is a nice surprise as I was under the impression paddles would not be part of the Flashback's this year. Glad to see they are. I wonder if the Activision Edition will have them. If not, the Gold is the one to get for me!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing doc. :)

• Like 2

Yikes! $99.99

This is obviously because of the paddles. I would gladly pay that knowing it was $80. New paddles alone are $30 on At Games site and that's if they are ever in stock, which they are not! I'm sure the stores will sell this for around $80-90 as they are always cheaper than At Games.

Rationalization/Justifications:

1. $99.99 is less than $41 in 1983 bucks, WAY less than the cost of a big Video Computer Set with two (wired) joysticks, two paddles, and only Combat packed in

2. To say nothing of all the other games that are in there

3. With rewind, pause, and save features that never existed in olden days

4. And wireless controllers, which are always nice (and they're RF, not IR, thank goodness)

Let's ignore the fact that these games are going on 40 years old. Atari!!

• Like 4

Rationalization/Justifications:

1. $99.99 is less than $41 in 1983 bucks, WAY less than the cost of a big Video Computer Set with two (wired) joysticks, two paddles, and only Combat packed in

2. To say nothing of all the other games that are in there

3. With rewind, pause, and save features that never existed in olden days

4. And wireless controllers, which are always nice (and they're RF, not IR, thank goodness)

Let's ignore the fact that these games are going on 40 years old. Atari!!

Don't forget the HD hookup which will allow for play on modern TV's!

• Like 3

Well though I've mentioned it before I'll double down... If they want to charge me a bit extra for brand new paddles, I'm in. So this sounds good to me initially (the Deluxe 8 Gold with paddles for $99). However...I'd really REALLY like it to have the game lineup with whatever the best Activision model will have... As I want it all and I want it now. I want to play Kaboom with paddles...and I want to play Demon Attack and Cosmic Ark on this thing. :) (As well as Seaquest, Cosmic Commuter, Pressure Cooker, River Raid, and and and...)

• Like 1

Interested in the Deluxe version with paddles but have two concerns - what will the price be in Canada and WHERE IN THE HELL can I buy one in Canada. The distribution of these things outside the US is brutal. The ONLY place I've been able to find these things is the bed, bath and beyond website and even then it's hit or miss. I simply don't understand what the problem is with getting these things sold in Canadian Walmarts or other department stores here.

• Like 3

Another review is up for the new Sega unit, this one fairly complimentary: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/10/sega-genesis-flashback-hd-the-kotaku-review/

These reviews all seem to point out that the menu interface is pretty non-intuitive. One has to wonder why that is... sure seems like a problem that would have been easy to avoid.

• Like 1

Another review is up for the new Sega unit, this one fairly complimentary: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/10/sega-genesis-flashback-hd-the-kotaku-review/

These reviews all seem to point out that the menu interface is pretty non-intuitive. One has to wonder why that is... sure seems like a problem that would have been easy to avoid.

The keen observer will note that the interface received a significant revamp from the first, broken review units, to the public ready units now in reviewer's hands. I was actually fine with the original navigation method (similar to how the SD consoles worked), but it was determined internally at AtGames that it should be changed. The change to B and C navigating up and down is probably not something that's discoverable or intuitive at first glance, but the controller icon in the corner is pretty self explanatory. And really, I don't get how it's not something that you don't figure out and get muscle memory for pretty quickly. Once you select a left-side menu option (if you don't like the one it defaults to), navigation is perfectly normal, with the use of the d-pad for left-right-up-down and A for selecting the game you want (and then starting it after you're in the game page).

Really, for me, I don't fault the interface for much of anything other than wanting a bit more formatting for the game instructions and a more intuitive replay function.

• Like 1

Bill, I value your insights and generally agree with your analyses, but when you said this ...

The change to B and C navigating up and down is probably not something that's discoverable or intuitive at first glance, but the controller icon in the corner is pretty self explanatory. And really, I don't get how it's not something that you don't figure out and get muscle memory for pretty quickly. Once you select a left-side menu option (if you don't like the one it defaults to), navigation is perfectly normal, with the use of the d-pad for left-right-up-down and A for selecting the game you want (and then starting it after you're in the game page).

Really, for me, I don't fault the interface for much of anything other than wanting a bit more formatting for the game instructions and a more intuitive replay function.

... I have to wonder: is this Stockholm Syndrome, or have you taken leave of your senses? These menus sound objectively awful.

• Like 1

Bill, I value your insights and generally agree with your analyses, but when you said this ...

... I have to wonder: is this Stockholm Syndrome, or have you taken leave of your senses? These menus sound objectively awful.

I'm not saying it's the best menu design, I just don't see how it doesn't make sense. You have master categories on the left side and the game lists on the right side. If you want to browse the games on the right you just move with the d-pad and select the game you want with the A button (no argument there, right?). If you want to change master categories (all games, favorites, Sonic games, bonus games, etc.) you press C to move down or B to move up. By using B and C, it eliminates the need to have to go all the way to the left when scrolling through the selected game listing, plus it also allows the game listing to wrap-around. Also, by using B and C, it supports even original three button controllers for menu navigation. Again, this is all designed to help to get to the master category you want as quickly as possible and then scroll through the selected game listings as simply as possible. Again, not my favorite setup and not instantly intuitive (despite the clear graphic in the lower left indicating how to navigate), but I just don't see where the major issue is.

• Like 1

Maybe the categories could have been a special preference toggle or something.

A simple list with up/down/select options would be more compatible with non-engineer human brains.

That's where the disconnect is, I think, though. That's present. The only time it's not a simple list with up/down/select options is when you're changing categories. Is it really a lot to ask to press B or C to change categories, especially when there's a little legend in the lower left explaining that?

I'm not saying it's the best menu design, I just don't see how it doesn't make sense. You have master categories on the left side and the game lists on the right side. If you want to browse the games on the right you just move with the d-pad and select the game you want with the A button (no argument there, right?). If you want to change master categories (all games, favorites, Sonic games, bonus games, etc.) you press C to move down or B to move up. By using B and C, it eliminates the need to have to go all the way to the left when scrolling through the selected game listing, plus it also allows the game listing to wrap-around. Also, by using B and C, it supports even original three button controllers for menu navigation. Again, this is all designed to help to get to the master category you want as quickly as possible and then scroll through the selected game listings as simply as possible. Again, not my favorite setup and not instantly intuitive (despite the clear graphic in the lower left indicating how to navigate), but I just don't see where the major issue is.

I obviously haven't operated one yet, but that sounds perfectly fine to me. I don't get why so many people are making that big of a fuss over something this small. As you pointed it out, this makes things quicker. That sounds like a plus to me. I'm going to hopefully get this for my niece for Christmas. Her dad had a Genesis when he was a kid, so they can bond over this and maybe play his old cartridges if he still has them.

• Like 1

Sadly, according to Target, AtGames has delayed distribution of the Gold edition from next week to November 10:

https://www.target.com/p/atari-flashback-8-gold-console/-/A-52604683

Other sites (Best Buy, GameStop) still list the 10/24 release date, but I assume that's going to change. Hopefully this doesn't affect when the Activision edition hits streets, though I presume it will- I have a hard time seeing them release both units simultaneously, especially when they had already planned to put some time between the different Flashbacks.

Also unfortunate, at least for AtGames- releasing the Activision version possibly after Black Friday will certainly cut into their possible sales. I recall the same thing happening last year with the Portable, which led to me ordering straight from AtGames.

Sadly, according to Target, AtGames has delayed distribution of the Gold edition from next week to November 10:

Other sites (Best Buy, GameStop) still list the 10/24 release date, but I assume that's going to change. Hopefully this doesn't affect when the Activision edition hits streets, though I presume it will- I have a hard time seeing them release both units simultaneously, especially when they had already planned to put some time between the different Flashbacks.

Also unfortunate, at least for AtGames- releasing the Activision version possibly after Black Friday will certainly cut into their possible sales. I recall the same thing happening last year with the Portable, which led to me ordering straight from AtGames.

I just received a notification that my Target pre-order of the Atari Flashback Gold is shipping. I will let you know once I see an estimated arrival date via the UPS tracking #

• Like 1

I just received a notification that my Target pre-order of the Atari Flashback Gold is shipping. I will let you know once I see an estimated arrival date via the UPS tracking #

UPS tracking shows the Atari Flashback Gold in transit and arriving this week.

• Like 2

Could you recommend a site to preorder the Activision Gold Flashback? Why didn't all the "golden" editions have the Activision games on them? They've already paid for the licenses so might as well push them out. Far too many SKUs creating customer confusion even among seasoned retrogamers...
  • Like 3