IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

You're a complicated person. ;-)

That's putting it charitably. :lolblue: Seriously though ... I love books but hate paper. I stopped subscribing to Retro Gamer paper a long time ago, but happily "collect" them in digital form. No clutter.

I like your work, this appears to be a unique item, and $16 (shipped, after tax) is not a lot of money. Maybe I'll cut the binding, scan it, and make my own eBook.

The paper copy will sit alongside my Intellivision Flashback overlay set, or maybe with the other Prima and Retro Gamer bookazines from before I said to myself, "enough of this!"

For those interested, Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion, is just $14.57 on Amazon instead of the usual $19.99 (http://amzn.to/2zsALk0). It should come out by the end of the month. Any questions about the book, let me know.

51LRzB6uhhL._SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Will there be a hard copy or paperback only?

For those interested, Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion, is just $14.57 on Amazon instead of the usual $19.99 (http://amzn.to/2zsALk0). It should come out by the end of the month. Any questions about the book, let me know.

51LRzB6uhhL._SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Looks like a winner to me. My son was given a Atari Flashback 8 for his birthday. This would be really cool to have, especially if I can find a way to go and upgrade his FB8 the HD Activision edition. Also, on a separate note, I just recently read "CoCo: The Colorful History of Tandy's Underdog Computer". It is a great read and I really enjoyed learning about a (micro)computer that I really didn't remember that much. I did have a childhood friend whose parents had a Tandy 1000. Anyway, take care and might just have to check this out.

• Like 4

While I think the Activision Edition is a little better, the FB8 and FB8 Gold have a lot of the best games, can't go too wrong with either one.

Yes, the FB8 (regular) is pretty solid with 105 games. However, I saw a FB8 deluxe with paddles included. Too bad it is at Sam's, as I don't have a membership there anymore. I would be halfway tempted to swap that one for the kiddo.

The SD has a deluxe version, but the regular FB8 apparently has one too. I could have sworn that Sam's has this version, but I am not sure. If this is real, it would be pretty cool to have.

$_58.JPG

It doesnt seem to want me to upload it but yes sams has an sd deluxe for 40 bucks.

post-13851-0-71026900-1509766471_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Activision edition has popped up on GameStop's site with an 11/28 release date:

https://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/atari-flashback-8-gold-activision-edition/156096?cid=fds_10000777&CAWELAID=120192760000114303

I wonder if there will be a Deluxe Activision edition; it'd be odd if not, considering every other Flashback this year has a Deluxe version.

Edited by Dr. Ferro

While I wrote a history chapter as chapter 1, and an AtGames chapter as chapter 2, the rest of the book (done by myself and the other authors) is basically like a remixed manual for 67 Atari published games, interspersed with extra images and things like fun facts. So yeah, I think of it more as a manual compendium/reference than anything else. It's really needed because there's not a great way of including full manuals with the Flashback products or even for those who use the real systems or emulators. That's obviously particularly handy with all the game variations and some of the subtler game options that are all too easy to gloss over since we (the collective we, as in the general audience) tend to think of Atari 2600 games as simple start and go diversions when there's a whole lot more going on below the surface.

This sounds like a very fun and resourceful book, Bill, especially for folks like me who are plenty nostalgic for Atari but can't pretend to know what I'm even doing sometimes during gameplay. I actually am not personally bothered there is "only" a paperback version- I tend to read and absorb information differently when reading from an actual book. I'll order a copy as soon as funds allow it; currently I'm just trying to pinch pennies to save up for the Activision edition.

• Like 1

Saw the Flashback Portable today at a local Walgreen's. It was twice the price I remember the original Portable being at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Is there anything better about the new model? Improved emulation maybe? Higher quality LCD display?

I am not sure what the differences are, but it is $37.49 plus tax with free shipping at Toys R Us:

https://www.toysrus.com/product?_br_psugg_q=atari+flashback&productId=126158146

• Like 1

Saw the Flashback Portable today at a local Walgreen's. It was twice the price I remember the original Portable being at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Is there anything better about the new model? Improved emulation maybe? Higher quality LCD display?

The screen is a bit smaller- 2.8" vs. 3.2"- however the picture quality/ color is a bit richer on the new one. There is a removable battery this time. I think I read somewhere on here that emulation had been improved a bit for the '17 Portable as well but I don't know personally.

Edited by Dr. Ferro
  • Like 1

Are the Gold and Activition Gold 2600 Flashbacks going to be some department store exclusive? Amazon has absolutely nothing about something that is supposed to be released in the next six weeks.

We'll release info soon. One retailer will have a small exclusivity window, but it will be widely available after that.

Called it! :-D

...and just bought one...

Hmmm...can we get a preview of the inside somewhere? The web seems rather void of images.

There is a single copy at our local Walgreen's as well. It is $69.99 there. Obviously wont be buying it there.

Hmmm...can we get a preview of the inside somewhere? The web seems rather void of images.

I don't believe the Look Inside is activated until closer to the release date. I'm probably not allowed to share anything, but here's the Asteroids entry (four pages) from an early version of the book anyway:

38254649881_16181512fe_b.jpg

24383595378_e88aee5c6a_b.jpg

• Like 6