IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

I think the portable has an SD slot because they don't plan on reselling it year after year like the regular flashbacks, so maybe the final flashback will have it.

Good theory except for the fact the portables have already been sold multiple years with an SD card slot. We'll see about adding SD and/or cartridge slots in the Atari consoles next year.

• Like 5

Good theory except for the fact the portables have already been sold multiple years with an SD card slot. We'll see about adding SD and/or cartridge slots in the Atari consoles next year.

There are lots of reasons for the SD card slot ask - a top one for me is to get access to Atari 2600 homebrews that may never be available via Atari Flashback licensing. I am guessing that Namco may not allow PacMan 8k and 4k homebrews (but you never know!) Space Rocks has some hope if Atari approves.

• Like 1

There are lots of reasons for the SD card slot ask - a top one for me is to get access to Atari 2600 homebrews that may never be available via Atari Flashback licensing. I am guessing that Namco may not allow PacMan 8k and 4k homebrews (but you never know!) Space Rocks has some hope if Atari approves.

Sure, but the vast majority almost certainly just want to put commercial games on it. No big deal either way. There's no restriction on including something like that.

• Like 1

Hey Bill, I saw the Flashbacks (Atari, Sega, Standard and HD) at Target today- $50 and $70. After a brief internal debate, I got the Sega HD for the following reasons: (in order of importance)

Improved audio and cartridge slot (tie)

Able to use wired controllers

Game selection

HDMI

reasonable price.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Speaking of filler games, I hear Atari has a new original game in the pipeline called "hit the stick with the rock". Apparently it has a dystopian theme set in a world where colors are limited to black and white. Rumor has it the game is super fast and uses a qualcomm processor with blast processing plus highly interactive controls for a fully immersive VR experience.

Got my printed Prima guide to the Atari Flashback today. It's well produced and looks to be a useful, accurate companion guide. Bill Logiduice et al did a great job. It's well worth the asking price.

The "eGuide" is ... there. I'd love to download (nope) or print to PDF (nope again) but it's locked to their web portal. That's disappointing, especially for a retro revival product, which should be good for a long time. Prima should fix that. I would be perfectly satisfied with a file that was watermarked with my name or something to keep me from sharing it.

• Like 3

Got my printed Prima guide to the Atari Flashback today. It's well produced and looks to be a useful, accurate companion guide. Bill Logiduice et al did a great job. It's well worth the asking price.

The "eGuide" is ... there. I'd love to download (nope) or print to PDF (nope again) but it's locked to their web portal. That's disappointing, especially for a retro revival product, which should be good for a long time. Prima should fix that. I would be perfectly satisfied with a file that was watermarked with my name or something to keep me from sharing it.

I received mine as well. The advertisements on the first couple of pages are a nice touch. :thumbsup:

post-21941-0-65916100-1511390125.jpg

• Like 4

Glad you guys received it. Ironically, I have still not heard back from my editor when my author copies will arrive or when the look inside will be active on Amazon. I have yet to see a print version, only a second-to-final PDF.

Any plans for an addendum with the Activision games? Volume 2?

Also, does anyone know why Atari's RealSports Tennis isn't on any of these things? Seems odd, especially since there are three basketball games available.

MISSING

c_RealsportsTennis_Silver_front.jpg

• Like 3

Any plans for an addendum with the Activision games? Volume 2?

We're trying for a Genesis version. It would be neat to do an Activision version, but I'm not sure they'd go for it. I guess we'll see how the Activision Flashback sells and how well the Atari Flashback book does.

I don't know about RealSports Tennis either. I've never seen it on offer to us.

• Like 2

Received my copy of the book today. I have to say if you like flashback units, then this book lives up to it's name "the essential companion". I preordered for about $13 which is a great price. It looks to me like it's a well thought out, well designed and written book. Lots of attention to detail. Great job!

• Like 2

We're trying for a Genesis version. It would be neat to do an Activision version, but I'm not sure they'd go for it. I guess we'll see how the Activision Flashback sells and how well the Atari Flashback book does.

I don't know about RealSports Tennis either. I've never seen it on offer to us.

I just got my copy of the book. I'd like to see the other 80 games from the collective 2017 Atari flashbacks in a Volume 2.

• Like 2

I'm curious why the Walmart ad for the Atari flashback portable says "Adults Only". Is this an item too high in price to risk on a bunch of kids buying it, playing it for a couple weeks and returning it or what. It's less than many new PS4/XBOne games, like Star Wars Battlefront II that are not adult only. I don't think the portable has any Mystique game on it. :grin:

• Like 3

Received the book and Activision FB yesterday. Really like the book and the I'm liking the FB as well; quite nice to have the Activision games on it. As other have repeated, an SD slot on the console would be nice but even more than this, for me, would be the ability to leave a pair of paddles plugged in while using the wireless controllers. Currently, paddle games wont work with paddles plugged into port 2 and leaving the paddles plugged into port 1 disables left/right in joystick games. Of course, the best scenario would be some wireless paddle controllers. Overall though, I'm really liking this year's version. A FB console + the book would make a great gift for most Atari fans.

• Like 2

If you could reproduce the Phantasy Star strategy guides (incl maps), that would be instantly worth it.

Speaking of old materials, it's a shame we didn't see any Atari comics like the Yars' Revenge stuff packed in. Is that DC's property or something?

Everything in the book was licensed, so there was no way to get permission to do more than what we did in reference to the comics.

• Like 2

I just got my copy of the book. I'd like to see the other 80 games from the collective 2017 Atari flashbacks in a Volume 2.

This is an official book, produced in partnership with Atari and AtGames (and Prima Games, obviously). Given the time constraints, there was no time to secure additional licenses. We'll see what the future brings in terms of additional books.

• Like 3