IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

Makes sense. I hope someone is reminding the rights holders that very few of their fans have issues finding old ROMs, and that something is better than nothing.

I'd be more tolerant of Activision if they supported their mobile apps. On iOS, Activision Anthology hasn't been updated since 2012, Lost Treasures of Infocom since 2013, and both are going to be purged with the other 32-bit apps with iOS 11 in about a month. Tick tock.

Jungle Hunt is a bit of a loss, but the addition of Imagic games are likely to more than even that out.

Sad that Frogger is getting dropped, but without the music I wasn't too excited about the AtGames remake. I will probably just continue to play Frogger on the Atari 8-bit.

Same with Space Invaders, but again I have that on the Flashback 4 and so if I really want to play that remake, I can. (My real preference is for 2600 Space Invaders but we all know that isn't happening).

Overall, I think this last-minute shuffle of titles might be a good thing.

Thinking further down the line, if Imagic games are appearing on the Atari Flashback, could we be looking forward to a future Intellivision Flashback 2 which includes some of the Imagic classics for that platform? That would be pretty exciting.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 4

Stinks to lose several solid games, but I'll happily take the substitutions. :)

Do we have a list of what's missing? I'm unsure if I accounted for every Taito property and I have no clue what the Good Deal Games homebrews are here.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Stinks to lose several solid games, but I'll happily take the substitutions. :)

Do we have a list of what's missing? I'm unsure if I accounted for every Taito property and I have no clue what the Good Deal Games homebrews are here.

I really don't want to trump any official announcements about the "Atari Flashback 8 Gold: Activision Edition" until AtGames is ready. Sorry.

• Like 2

I think that you may have perhaps misinterpreted my post. I wasn't asking about what the additional Activision and Imagic additions are and understand that you can't release that information until AtGames decides to make it public.

Rather, I was inquiring about what games in the list that you've already posted as the final game list for the regular Atari Flashback 8 Gold, are those that fall under the Taito and Good Deal Games banner that are to be removed for the Activision Edition. You've already confirmed that Frogger (Konami) and all Taito/GDG properties have been removed from the Activision Edition.

I'm just curious what games those specifically are, besides the five that I'm already aware of (Frogger obviously, along with Space Invaders, Polaris, Jungle Hunt, and Front Line). Doesn't even need to come from you, since I'm sure there are AtariAgers reading this thread that are more well versed in the 2600 library than I am that could scan this list and identify every GDG release in just seconds or notice any Taito related 2600 games that I may have missed.

Edited by Atariboy

Looks like these are all Good Deal Games homebrews, which brings the total to the full 9 games that are missing from the Activision edition (If I'm reading Bill's posts correctly).

-Chase It

-Escape It

-Miss It

-Shield Shifter

Was easier to find out than I thought, once I actually went out and looked for a few seconds. For some reason I thought GDG was much more active and had a sizable list of games that they had published for the VCS (There's also Strip Off, which I believe is the only non-Namco title that's exclusive to this year's portable).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Looks like these are all Good Deal Games homebrews, which brings the total to the full 9 games that are missing from the Activision edition (If I'm reading Bill's posts correctly).

-Chase It

-Escape It

-Miss It

-Shield Shifter

Well those are no big loss that's for sure! I will miss those Taito games...

• Like 1

Hey Bill,

Any chance that AtGames is working to get Tengen AKA Atari Games (Warner Bros.) involved with the Sega Genesis Flashback for titles like...

Paperboy

Paperboy 2

Hard Drivin'

Klax
Rampart

RoadBlasters

Steel Talons

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 2

I'm not familiar with that one. Do you have a link?

The one time I was accused of cheating in a video game competition. I posted a score on Demon Attack of over 1M when everyone else had like 700k. We found out that the original programmer didnt think anyone would make it past 84 waves so he ended the game, Imagic got complaints and they issued a new batch that went on forever. I had the fixed cart - they didnt recall the defective ones. Thats all I can share, Im sure someone smarter than me in the 2600 section would know more.

• Like 3

I just reserved the Atari Flashback 8 Gold console at GameStop for pickup on the 9/22 release. Out of the 120 Atari classics included, the one I am looking forward to playing most is Megamania, even though I have it on my Atari Portable. As awesome as the portable is to play, It's not the same with the portables d-pad controls. It looks like Atari and AtGames Flashback Zone have done an amazing job on the latest console. Now looking forward to the release of the Ataribox !!!!!

Didn't want to wait for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition?

AVT_3D%20box.png

We've been led to believe that it's the same price as what you've ordered. Also it appears that the game lineup is likely going to be more appealing for the average 2600 fan. And it doesn't seem 100% out of the question that it might still include wired paddle controllers for at least one retailer.

I believe that it adds 10 games in total to the 120 game count for the model that you've preordered, for 130 in total. And thanks to that addition along with the replacement of 9 games from the standard Atari Flashback 8 Gold lineup that you've preordered, it will feature 39 Activision/Imagic classics from the 2600 compared to just 20 for the edition that you've preordered.

These are what you'll lose if you change your mind and cancel this preorder to instead wait to preorder the Activision edition, if I've interpreted Bill's various posts around here correctly (He said the 9 GDG homebrews, Frogger, and the Taito games were out for the Activision edition).

-Chase It (Good Deal Games)
-Escape It (Good Deal Games)
-Frogger (Konami; Modern AtGames port of the arcade classic)
-Front Line (Taito)
-Jungle Hunt (Taito)
-Miss It (Good Deal Games)
-Polaris (Taito)
-Shield Shifter (Good Deal Games)
-Space Invaders (Taito; Modern AtGames port of the arcade classic)

And here's 19 Activision games from an earlier list that Bill posted for the Atari Flashback 8 before it was finalized. Presumably most of the 19 additions for the Activision model will come from here, although we now know that Dan Kitchen's Tomcat is now out of play and that some Imagic titles will also now be included.

-Barnstorming
-Boxing
-Bridge
-Checkers
-Dan Kitchen's Tomcat (Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator; An Absolute Entertainment release)
-Dolphin
-Freeway
-Grand Prix
-Ice Hockey
-Laser Blast
-Plaque Attack
-Private Eye
-River Raid II
-Robot Tank
-Skiing
-Sky Jinks
-Space Shuttle
-Spider Fighter
-Tennis
And we also know that Pitfall II is out of play for at least 2017, although I'm hoping that the popularity and quality of that one will encourage AtGames to emulate the DPC chip in the future so that it can be included in 2018.
Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Didn't want to wait for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition?

AVT_3D%20box.png

We've been led to believe that it's the same price as what you've ordered. Also it appears that the game lineup is likely going to be more appealing for the average 2600 fan. And it doesn't seem 100% out of the question that it might still include wired paddle controllers for at least one retailer.

I believe that it adds 10 games in total to the 120 game count for the model that you've preordered, for 130 in total. And thanks to that addition along with the replacement of 9 games from the standard Atari Flashback 8 Gold lineup that you've preordered, it will feature 39 Activision/Imagic classics from the 2600 compared to just 20 for the edition that you've preordered.

These are what you'll lose if you change your mind and cancel this preorder to instead wait to preorder the Activision edition, if I've interpreted Bill's various posts around here correctly (He said the 9 GDG homebrews, Frogger, and the Taito games were out for the Activision edition).

-Chase It (Good Deal Games)

-Escape It (Good Deal Games)

-Frogger (Konami; Modern AtGames port of the arcade classic)

-Front Line (Taito)

-Jungle Hunt (Taito)

-Miss It (Good Deal Games)

-Polaris (Taito)

-Shield Shifter (Good Deal Games)

-Space Invaders (Taito; Modern AtGames port of the arcade classic)

And here's 19 Activision games from an earlier list that Bill posted for the Atari Flashback 8 before it was finalized. Presumably most of the 19 additions for the Activision model will come from here, although we now know that Dan Kitchen's Tomcat is now out of play and that some Imagic titles will also now be included.

-Barnstorming
-Boxing
-Bridge
-Checkers
-Dan Kitchen's Tomcat (Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator; An Absolute Entertainment release)
-Dolphin
-Freeway
-Grand Prix
-Ice Hockey
-Laser Blast
-Plaque Attack
-Private Eye
-River Raid II
-Robot Tank
-Skiing
-Sky Jinks
-Space Shuttle
-Spider Fighter
-Tennis
And we also know that Pitfall II is out of play for at least 2017, although I'm hoping that the popularity and quality of that one will encourage AtGames to emulate the DPC chip in the future so that it can be included in 2018.

Thanks for highlighting these. Now this is how I would look at it from the choices. I basically would be giving up:

Frogger

Front Line

Jungle Hunt

Polaris

Space Invaders

I would be getting:

Barnstorming

Boxing

Dan's kitchen tomcat

Dolphin

Ice hockey

River Raid II

Skiing

When I look at top 3 to top 3:

Frogger

Jungle Hunt

Space Invaders

vs

River Raid II

Boxing

Dans Kitchen's Tomcat (if this actually included???)

All of this is just in my case and opinion. Even though there are more games for the Activision, I'd probably just go with the standard.

Now if they threw in the paddles for the Activision version and at the same price... No brainer, Activision all the way.

Edited by TokyoBatman

Everyone is different, but I'd say that it's fair to state that many of those that you left off from that list are popular Activision classics where as several on your list aren't particularly beloved like River Raid II and especially F-14 Tomcat. I'll personally be disappointed if Plaque Attack (Not one of the iconic ones, but I enjoy it), Robot Tank, and Spider Fighter don't make the cut.

And we don't know what the additions are to this since AtGames has not made that information public. That 19 game list is merely what was left off the in-progress game list that Bill Loguidice posted weeks ago, that didn't make the cut when the finalized Atari Flashback 8 Gold game list was later posted. Many of those 19 likely will appear among the 19 Activision Edition exclusives, but some definitely won't be appearing.

So it's possible that none of those 7 games you selected from that list will even be included. Only AtGames knows for sure. I think Bill said on here a few days ago that at least one of the 19 additional Activision/Imagic games was still up in the air, so they even possibly don't know the exact 19 game list just yet. And don't forget that we now know that the Imagic library will have a presence here, so I imagine Atlantis and Demon Attack are solid bets at the very least.

And like I said, despite the presence of it on a work in-progress game list for the Flashback 8 Gold, we already know that F-14 Tomcat will not be one of these 19 games on the final product. Bill has confirmed that previously.

Edited by Atariboy