IGNORED

New Hardware: Atari 400 RAM-Card 48/52 KB & external OS-ROM

tf_hh

Hi,

these thoughts aren´t the first regarding the 800´s feasibilities.

The demand of having an Incognito is - for me - a no-go. Every solution I would make must work also with the standard version of an Atari 400 and 800.

The "monster" ;-) you mentioned above should be make completely on FPGA base. Except the CPU all other chips should be realised by FPGA emulations, so that you have a big FPAG including ANTIC and GTIA cores for NTSC and PAL. But then, an Incognito on an extra PCB isn´t needed. Using high capacity FPGAs would enable to integrate the whole 800 chips and parts at the size of the CPU card - including Incognito´s functions.

Such a big and expensive project is out of my capatilities in knowlegde, time and money. IMHO to realise something like this, a lot of developers should work together. Not the easiest thing in the past...

Best regards, Jurgen

Hi all,

miracle, oh miracle... the PCBs have arrive me today, after 21 days matured in the german DHL freight central :-o

Now I will start assembling them. I hope to shipping out all paid orders in the next 2 weeks. All purchasers will be informed by email as usual.

Final version can hold a 27128 EPROM (one OS), a 27256 EPROM (two OS) or a 27512 EPROM (four different OS). The OS selection inputs have pull-up resistors and can be connected to any other (electronically) switch(ed) components, if desired.

If RAM mode is set to 48 KB and EPROM on my card is selected as OS place, then $C000-$CFFF is also mapped from EPROM. This enables own tinkering or usage of 400/800 OS enhanced versions like OmniMon, machine code debuggers and whatever can be put into the normally unused 4 KB area in $C000-$CFFF. If 52 KB RAM is selected, then $C000-$CFFF is RAM.

All jumpered inputs uses pull-up resistors and can be easily switched by other cards and solutions by draining the input to low.

Jurgen

post-15670-0-05115500-1501515269_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

today I finished the production of the Atari 400 RAM cards ;-)

Shipping out all orders will be started on Monday, the 21.th August. Every purchaser will get his personal information email with the tracking code as usual tomorrow.

Thanks to all suppliers of this project!

I made a few more pieces that ordered until now. So if you want one, please sent me a PN. See post #1 of this thread.

Best regards, Jurgen

post-15670-0-38304700-1503169390_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I'm interested. What I really want to do is put Omniview (not Omnimon) for the 400/800 on the 27128 EPROM. Is that possible? If so, does anyone have the 16K "BIN" file with CRC value for the Omniview OS on the original 800 (not XL). I know its only 10K, but the 27128 is 16K.

Hi all,

here´s now the manual for the Atari 400 48/52 KB RAM card. Due some own foolishness I delete my Excel database of all purchasers. Of course I will make them new (all orders are shipped out already!), but it will take 2-3 days. Without this sheet and my macros I haven´t the email-adresses :-o

Find the manual here: Manual.zip

BR Jurgen

• Like 3

Hi, you´re the first reporting successful installation :thumbsup:

Instructions were ok? Any hints or tipps for improvement? Or all just fine?

Jurgen

All is fine and straight-forward.

What OSes are working with the 400?

All is fine and straight-forward.

What OSes are working with the 400?

Thanks!

Actually I have only tested with the genuine ATARI O.S. versions. I know there are some more O.S. in the wild like OmniMon, OmniView and some more, but I didn´t have any binaries. However, I didn´t know any reason why they should not work. The most patched or modded O.S. I know use the area $C000-$CFFF for additional code.

This is Omnimon for 800.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/145984-omnimon-4k-code/?do=findComment&comment=1776101

I have no clue where to put it.

Either on this device or the stock

machines.

It does have machine vectors into

0xCFxx region so maybe it goes

there since normally there would

be nothing there without this code

being placed there?

• Like 1

Thanks for that. But I think, this could only be a part of something. I will try it, but the standard, unpatched O.S. should make no notice about the code in the area $C000-$CFFF, where these 4 K should fit in. So I think, the standard 8 K O.S. must also be have a minimum of patched code to jump into this area when something (i.e. a special key is hold) happens.

• Like 1

Hi 1050,

I tested it... but as I expect, nothing happens. The O.S. starts normal, but didn´t notice any of the additional 4 K (of course I mapped it, a simple readout shows the data in $C000-$CFFF).

So let´s look further. I´m wondering that nobody in the U.S. has this files. IMHO the OmniMon and OmniView were relative often used in the U.S. on 800 computer...?

Jurgen

Hi 1050,

I tested it... but as I expect, nothing happens. The O.S. starts normal, but didn´t notice any of the additional 4 K (of course I mapped it, a simple readout shows the data in $C000-$CFFF).

So let´s look further. I´m wondering that nobody in the U.S. has this files. IMHO the OmniMon and OmniView were relative often used in the U.S. on 800 computer...?

Jurgen

OMNIMON! is entered by pressing SYSTEM RESET while holding down either the OPTION or SELECT key. You can also activate it with a USR call out of BASIC, or by executing a JSR $COO1 instruction in machine language.

Someone has to have the Omniview ROM for the 400/800 somewhere.

Hi Jurgen,

I would say by the lack of these rom images that

both Omnimon and Omniview were very rare in use

on the 800. This one may only work with the OSN

operating system in place on the ramrod board as

well.

And the image may in fact be a hack attempt, the

label is NOT genuine David Young INC. It just

has Omni 4K hand written across it. The collection

it came from was approximately 300 lbs of paperwork

mostly (manuals, printouts, etc.), and hardware.

Nothing pertaining to this chip was found. He was

very involved in the 800 in the very early days,

no XL/XE systems at all.

But on the XL/XE, the use of Omnimon was much

more extensive, in every multi-OS system I have

built, OmnimonXL was included and I do use it

there from time to time.

• Like 1