IGNORED

New Hardware: Atari 400 RAM-Card 48/52 KB & external OS-ROM

tf_hh

Hi,

does anybody have technical informations about the Nevell "RAMROD" Solution?

I tried to use the Nevell OmniMon und OmniView with my RAM card and it seems to work fine. But a lot of the special features of these OS enhancements requires the RAMROD mod. Maybe it´s possible with a little modification of the logic to emulate this one, but I need more info.

Anyone who can help?

Jurgen

• Like 1

Hi,

I tried to use the Nevell OmniMon und OmniView with my RAM card and it seems to work fine. But a lot of the special features of these OS enhancements requires the RAMROD mod. Maybe it´s possible with a little modification of the logic to emulate this one, but I need more info.

Anyone who can help?

Jurgen

Looks like the Internet Archive has the manual:

https://archive.org/details/RAMROD

• Like 1

Looks like the Internet Archive has the manual: https://archive.org/details/RAMROD

Thanks, but this is "only" the manual. I read it complete again, but this is nothing else (ok, except the 2K/2K split) I already have done on my board.

In the manual for Omniview for example there´s told, a RESET with SELCT held means, that the whole O.S. area is switched to RAM. I think, there´s a circuit enabling the usage of $C000-$FFFF as RAM, too - like in the XL/XE family.

Anybody more infos?

• Like 1

Hi,

Anyone who can help?

Jurgen

Jurgen,

Are you saying you got Omniview to work on an Atari 400 on your board? That's amazing. Just burn the 27128 and you got it to work or is there modification to your board that have to be made to make it work.

Are you saying you got Omniview to work on an Atari 400 on your board? That's amazing. Just burn the 27128 and you got it to work or is there modification to your board that have to be made to make it work.

I´m a little bit confused... see my PM dated Feb 14th to you :-)

It runs, but I have no really experience with that and it would to be nice to get more infos.

I´ve been successful with one of the archives found here on AtariAge. I burn the first 16 KB of the "BURNFILE" found in the attached archive and the computer starts. Without disk attached a "memo pad" with just a cursor on the upper left appears, otherwise it will boot from disk. Some of the keyboard commands will only work with RAMROD mod, so the system hang up whenm trying them (for example: RESET with SELECT = copy OS to RAM).

I booted for the attached picture the XDOS dos and enter the monitor like described in the manual with RUN C001.

post-15670-0-29363900-1519555573_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New guy here. I have a 400 that still has its original 16k board. Thinking about updating it and this looks to be the way to go. Is this still available and can you pm me cost if it is. Thanks in advance. Ray

Was the same for me. This was a super-easy upgrade.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine installed today, and it boots up just fine. One question. Is there any reason not to just set the jumper to 52k? Does this cause compatibility issues? It's a bit of a hassle to get into the 400 to keep changing it.

By default no issues should be happen. But I can imagine, some rare programs for example expect that the screen´s memory or display list at the 48K memtop ($BCxx up to $BFFF). When such a program don´t use a XIO call (as spoken in Atari-Basic: GRAPHICS x) it will nothing happens on the screen. But I think this chance is less than winning in a lotto game... on the other hand, I personally don´t know about software specially use this 4K more of RAM.

• Like 1

Thanks. I might can hope that someone will develop software with your 52k RAM expansion in the future. Have you considered a storefront, or maybe selling more of these on ebay? Since the supply of vintage RAM expansions for the 400 seems to have dried up, I'm sure there are more Atari enthusiasts out there who'd like one of these. Anyway great add on, and thanks for using shipment tracking. That was a big help with the local post office screwed up.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...