IGNORED

Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy Review - Atari Jaguar

Adriano Arcade

You lost me at the point where you write that the game is quite enjoyable. I find it repetitive, unfinished and most of all badly designed but those are all opinions so they are as personal as they get.

As for the writing style, if you don't mind me saying, it's a bit stiff. You could make it a bit more personal and express the feelings you get a bit better so as to be more exciting to the reader. Since most of my texts read like a scientific paper, I know what I am talking about ;). This review is a perfect example, since you didn't convey to me what made you give it such an extraordinarily high score.

Anyway, enough with the negative, it's nice to be able to read reviews from people that like something about the system and don't take the easy route and bash it.

• Like 4

Yeah trevor mcfur looked good in stills, but man that game needed some parallax scrolling and better sound effects. it just screams rushed and to me doesn't show what the jaguar could really do.

Cool site though, can't wait to read more reviews!

Yeah trevor mcfur looked good in stills, but man that game needed some parallax scrolling and better sound effects.

Those are literally the least of its problems. The single biggest problem with Trevor McFur is that there's no structure at all to the levels-- it just randomly spawns stuff at you for ten minutes at a time. This makes it extremely boring to play.

• Like 1

Anyway, enough with the negative

LOL why stop now? You already bashed the guy and belittled him to death over his review which was lets face it is HIS. Man I really need to stop clicking any thread in this jaguar forum. It is unbelievable to me the amount of negativity and feelings of entitlement I see in the forum. It's like the rest of AA is a completely different website.

The Jaguar forum should be renamed "The Dark Atari Age".

• Like 1

Adrian, did you edit your blog after Christos' comments? Because I found the article to be just fine and didn't find it "stiff" at all. In a blog, it's nice when people keep it short, sweet and direct.

Was refreshing to read a review for such a game that isn't fraught with negativity and irrational feelings. Nice job!

• Like 1

LOL why stop now? You already bashed the guy and belittled him to death over his review which was lets face it is HIS. Man I really need to stop clicking any thread in this jaguar forum. It is unbelievable to me the amount of negativity and feelings of entitlement I see in the forum. It's like the rest of AA is a completely different website.

The Jaguar forum should be renamed "The Dark Atari Age".

Really? Bashed and belittled? And the person.. not even just his review.. Are you sure you read my post? The problem with the jaguar forum isnt bashing (of which i ve done none in this thread) but that everything with the word jaguar is considered a priori good and should be praised.

Adrian by posting asked for opinions and that is what i did. Anyway he can say if he felt i bashed him.

Ps just for the record i didnt find the review bad just that it needed something more

Edited by Christos
  • Like 4

As for the writing style, if you don't mind me saying, it's a bit stiff. You could make it a bit more personal and express the feelings you get a bit better so as to be more exciting to the reader. Since most of my texts read like a scientific paper, I know what I am talking about ;). This review is a perfect example, since you didn't convey to me what made you give it such an extraordinarily high score.

You are an expert, which I get a lot from people in the jag forum. Everyone is an expert and if it isn't done the way they like it is wrong. You told the guy his article was stiff and basically boring because it is not written how you would write it. How do you not consider that bashing?

"Feelings of entitlement" from a guy making money selling bootlegs of Jaguar games in his Etsy shop...

taking to PM, not derailing this thread like all the others.

Dude leave me the F alone ok. I make games no different than many other people on this site does. How the hell do you think I feel entitled and WTF is your problem w/me. I don't feel anything, I make games people buy them. Hash it now buddy, cause I'm sick of you throwing me making repros in every damn thread I post in when they don't have a damn thing to do with the thread!

I have no entitlements, entitlements is when someone feels they have the right to something or they should deserve special treatment. Tell me what do I feel entitled to in the games I make? Come on get this shit over with now.

Burning EPROMs is not "making games." It's bootlegging.

You feel you have the right to profit off the work of others. You even consider it "making games."

• Like 6

Burning EPROMs is not "making games." It's bootlegging.

You feel you have the right to profit off the work of others. You even consider it "making games."

Even Ray Kassar said there's no difference between the clowns coding the games, and the asshats boxing them.

Those are literally the least of its problems. The single biggest problem with Trevor McFur is that there's no structure at all to the levels-- it just randomly spawns stuff at you for ten minutes at a time. This makes it extremely boring to play.

very true. i hadn't noticed it really, aside from the boring weapons and the lackluster feel but yeah, they are just enemy waves then the next stage, if you could pay attention enough to make it through.

You are an expert, which I get a lot from people in the jag forum. Everyone is an expert and if it isn't done the way they like it is wrong. You told the guy his article was stiff and basically boring because it is not written how you would write it. How do you not consider that bashing?

Lol! Ok i understand now. You didnt understand what was written! Lol

I would never say it's a good game, BUT, it has some interesting elements, and you can't say it wasn't imaginative. It was clearly not designed by a team that had much experience with shmups, nor had a good idea about what makes that genre work and be enjoyable.

My biggest gripe with McFur is something that plagued just about any Jaguar game that required 'shootin', in the total lack of rapid-fire coding. This issue had already been dealt with in the 16-bit era, with most TG-16, SNES and Genesis games had built in rapid fire, either with the controller itself (TG-16/PC Engine), or just in the normal code of the game where you hold the fire button and it automatically rapid fires. Trevor McFur can actually spit a significant amount of bullet fire if your thumbs can sustain the pressure, making the game easier if you have a rapid fire controller. For some reason everybody who coded Jaguar games originally never considered adding this to any games (except Jeff Minter I guess). Worst offenders are this game, Raiden and Zero 5.

The good stuff I like are the graphics, and the wacky special weapon choices, such as the Magnet, which is one of the funnest shmup specials I've ever used.

LOL why stop now? You already bashed the guy and belittled him to death over his review which was lets face it is HIS.

Talk about an extreme overreaction. Christos was just offering his own critique of the review, there was absolutely no bashing going on in his comment.

It is unbelievable to me the amount of negativity and feelings of entitlement I see in the forum.

Coming from someone who thinks it's their right to make bootlegs of any games they want despite the wishes of the authors, this comment just makes me laugh.

• Like 5

So you know you don't have the right to do so, but still do? And then lecture people on "being nice to others"? That's a pretty bizarre defense.

And as madman said above, you don't make games. Otherwise anybody burning an audio CD would be "making music", and that's ridiculous.

• Like 5

So you know you don't have the right to do so, but still do? And then lecture people on "being nice to others"? That's a pretty bizarre defense.

And as madman said above, you don't make games. Otherwise anybody burning an audio CD would be "making music", and that's ridiculous.

People, why do we have to go back and forth like this? Porting games, hacking games, translating games, reproducing games, and so on are all in violation of copyright. How come it is OK for person A to do stuff they know they have no right to do but not ok for person B to do similar stuff?

People translate games and that's ok, people port games and that's ok, people hack games and that's ok, yet when someone makes it possible for people to play said games in a manner they want to that is no longer ok?

I do not repro homebrews.

I as well do not repro the ST ports and to be clear I have been asked NUMEROUS times. I have also been asked numerous times to make many games like protector, skyhammer, total carnage, and so on. I always deny and give them the link to Songbird's website for purchase.

How come it is OK for person A to do stuff they know they have no right to do but not ok for person B to do similar stuff?

Well for a start, unlike person B, person A doesn't spring out of nowhere to accuse the whole forum of being "entitled"... Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 4

Tell me again what games I feel I have the right to make against the wishes of the author? I never said I had the right to make Downfall nor did I sell, trade, or distribute that game. I never said It's my right to make any game I make.

No, but you only carried on like a petulant child when told no, crying publicly about it and causing a big stink. Now here you are again, completely overreacting to something that you misunderstood and also that had absolutely nothing to do with you. It's a classic case of projection.

• Like 4

No, but you only carried on like a petulant child when told no, crying publicly about it and causing a big stink. Now here you are again, completely overreacting to something that you misunderstood and also that had absolutely nothing to do with you. It's a classic case of projection.

No, incorrect. I privately messaged you about Downfall and yes I was astonished when you didn't want a free game made and guess what? I didn't make that game! What pissed me off is you made this thread IMMEDIATELY after we had spoke in PM.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262873-homebrew-releases-and-reproduction-carts-please-read/?hl=+icemanxp300?st=0

Yes I took that as a direct attack at me, since you made the point of stating;

"Recently it's come to our attention that a number of people here and in other parts of the Jaguar community have been offering services for creating carts of current homebrew releases."

Seriously how do you expect me to react to that after we just spoke in PM about Downfall and you immediately make that thread!

Here we are MONTHS later and you are still accusing me of wanting to make homebrews. I do NOT want to make homebrews, I have said this multiple times. I am not making homebrews. Now do I think a game like Battlesphere which has not been sold in over a damn decade deserves rights to not be made. No I don't.

Am I selling Battlespehere, No I am not and trust me I have been asked to make that game more than any other. It's not worth the BS I would get here. However I feel it is ridiculous that that game should be allowed a lock-down for eternity. If its OK to port, hack, translate, and so on other games w/out permission. In my opinion a homebrew game that has been abandoned for over a decade does not maintain any more rights than any other non-homebrew game that has been altered/reproduced w/out permission.

I get all the Homebrewers rights should be honored but be realist here. People say on day 1 this is for the community and to support fellow gamers, then on day 2 the community means jack and it is ONLY about preserving the value a piece of plastic has. Homebrewers FAIL the community and followers when they release their games in limited quantity.

Regardless of MY thought on the homebrew scene, one thing remains a FACT I have not sold 1 single Homebrew, nor do I intend to and I'm really get sick of people accusing me and telling me I feel entitled to do something I am NOT nor want to do!

Yes I took that as a direct attack at me, since you made the point of stating;

"Recently it's come to our attention that a number of people here and in other parts of the Jaguar community have been offering services for creating carts of current homebrew releases."

Seriously how do you expect me to react to that after we just spoke in PM about Downfall and you immediately make that thread!

The thread was meant as an announcement to clear up confusion about the issue, not as an attack against you. If you felt attacked by it, then you need some thicker skin.

I'm really get sick of people accusing me and telling me I feel entitled to do something I am NOT nor want to do

However I feel it is ridiculous that that game should be allowed a lock-down for eternity. If its OK to port, hack, translate, and so on other games w/out permission. In my opinion a homebrew game that has been abandoned for over a decade does not maintain any more rights than any other non-homebrew game that has been altered/reproduced w/out permission.

I get all the Homebrewers rights should be honored but be realist here. People say on day 1 this is for the community and to support fellow gamers, then on day 2 the community means jack and it is ONLY about preserving the value a piece of plastic has. Homebrewers FAIL the community and followers when they release their games in limited quantity.

It's hard not to accuse you of entitlement when you make statements like this and carry on like a spoiled brat when denied permission to sell copies of someone else's game.

• Like 3

Just because I voice an opinion about something does not mean I feel entitled to a certain outcome. So that means just because I disagree w/the way homebrews are handled does not mean I feel entitled to produce them. I do feel it's shitty to the community and I feel the homebrewers should keep selling games to support demand but I in no way feel it is my right to produce those games when they no longer will.

It's not the voicing the opinion that carries the entitlement, it's the way you keep going on about the issue like it's just the worst thing in the world. Things aren't at an ideal state yet, but they're far better than they were even just 10 years ago in regards to accessibility to homebrews and new games.

Regardless, that's way beyond the scope of this thread. Let's get things back on track.