IGNORED

Atari Classics Swordquest Comic GN Collection Pre-order Available

Swami

I didn't see this in a search, so thought I would post: Atari Classics Original Swordquest comics in graphic novel form available for pre-order on AMZN. It looks like Yars Revenge: The Qotile Ultimatum is included as well. I wonder if it will include at least a planned conclusion for Airworld. Probably not, but at least some bonus concept information would be cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Classics-Swordquest-Roy-Thomas/dp/1524104035/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=580b94f4ab412189f632aeee7cd78257

So excited about this! The SwordQuest original comics are the only Atari comics I don't have in my possession. The idea of having a collection...well, I'm excited.

I am excited too. I have the first two, but until I'm rich enough to spend $100 on a mini-comic, I won't have #3. I am also hoping, without high expectation, they will have some genuine, authentic closure material for the germinal 4th and final issue many of us have been waiting thirty years for.

• 2 months later...

Received mine today from amazon. It is great to have a nice copy of the Waterworld comic, but I am disappointed they did not include the final Airworld chapter, even if it would have been mostly from scratch. Still only have 75% of the story. Did anyone ever make a fan version with a reasonably extrapolated ending?

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine a few days ago from Amazon. Very nice, I started reading it last night. I loved that comic as an 11 year old in 1983, and love it as an adult in 2017 too! Too bad they didn't include Airworld, or at least talk about what could have been. One day, maybe...

That Airworld comic is pretty much going to be a dream. They can't include something that doesn't exist and no one involved with the project has anything archived about it, so it would have to be built from the scratch, and there is no reason, other than fan service, to make a comic for a game that doesn't exist. About 15 years ago when they were trying to get Airworld going again, Aimee did a TON of research on the comic, but there just wasn't anything to be found. I remember doing plots with her trying to write the final chapter, it was a lot of fun, but ultimately died on the vine.

So yeah, it would be cool, but there's nothing to be had and no incentive to create it out of nothing.

Still it's very nice to have a collected edition of the originals. That George Perez art is as good today as it was then!

There is no reason, other than fan service, to make a comic for a game that doesn't exist.

So yeah, it would be cool, but there's nothing to be had and no incentive to create it out of nothing.

In point of fact, this is pretty much what the Classic Swordquest three-quarters graphic novel issue is: fan service; And what the new crappy Swordquest comics are supposed to be. I can't imagine a lot of new interest can be generated by selling a book that is doomed to be unfinished unless they intend to just anger new readers unaware of the lack of an ending. From the amazon ad: "Can the twins gain mastery over the four elements and deliver justice to the despot?" No clue is given in the ad that the world may never know.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt the person who wrote that Amazon listing has the slightest clue about what Swordquest, comic or game, actually is. But I could be wrong, and reprinting something for fan service is a lot different than creating something from scratch. And I can promise you, that new comic, is a fan disservice.

I seriously doubt the person who wrote that Amazon listing has the slightest clue about what Swordquest, comic or game, actually is. But I could be wrong, and reprinting something for fan service is a lot different than creating something from scratch. And I can promise you, that new comic, is a fan disservice.

If they would focus their efforts on a single 14 page comic rather than all of this dross theyve been churning out, it wouldnt seem like much effort relatively speaking, unless the creativity and wherewithal to do it is simply lacking. But like others have posted, were probably better off just writing our own individual favorite endings.

Yep issue #4 is out. I picked up Swordquest #4 and Centipede #3 last Saturday. Haven't had a chance to read either.

I also got the original Swordquest graphic novel, I like the fact they kept the comics digest sized like the original, although I too wish they had included a finale.