IGNORED

Want a pro controller, what is the maximum I should pay ?

Stephen g

Hi guys, really want a pro controller for my jag. But the prices on eBay are plain crazy.

From those who use them are they worth the high cost ?

Thanks..

Its whatever price you are willing to pay. Everyone has different definitions of "too much."

Everyone on here has loads of pro controllers in the closet and will sell you one, probably for as low as $20.

Sorry I know that's the answer you are looking for...but sadly it's not reality.

You will never see one of these in the wild, so it's cough up $150-250 and consider $150 a deal if you find one at that price) or just learn to live with the three button.

Edited by travistouchdown

It's too bad that they are so expensive on eBay now. I purchased one when they were first released and one after they went on sale. Hard to believe that controller on sale cost me $24.99 an now they go for around 10 times that. It's a great controller though for sure. For me personally, I would not pay that much for it, but if I had never had one and I really wanted one, I might have to think hard about it. Us Jag fans can be pretty crazy.

The question is, how much use will you get out of it? This is generally how I look at expensive accessory purchases.

I personally can't see myself justifying the cost of a Pro Controller because I simply wouldn't use it often enough (I bust out my Jaguar for night-long sessions maybe once or twice a year at most now). However, that's not to say I'm not down for buying expensive accessories (arcade joysticks for fighting games and shooters, high-end controllers for rhythm games, etc). In those cases I have gotten enough playtime out of them to make the investments worth it.

If you're not sure if it's going to be "worth it", you need to consider how happy you are with the stock option, and how often you think you will use the replacement. If it's not often, then it's probably not going to be worth it. If it's frequently, then it may be worth considering even at the current going rate. Keep in mind it makes certain games easier to play given the added button mapping, so it is one of those rare cases where it provides greater functionality over the original, which itself adds value.

Edited by Austin

That would be a fair point if Pro controllers were still $50 or so.

But if the above posts are correct, we're talking $150-$300. Just for a controller that's basically an improved version of the stock one.

For that kind of money, you could buy another console and some games. Or even a truly rare and exclusive game, if you're into collecting.

So unless you have very deep pockets or the Jaguar is the only thing you care about in life, it's not going to be worth it.

Edited by Zerosquare

That would be a fair point if Pro controllers were still $50 or so.

But if the above posts are correct, we're talking $150-$300. Just for a controller that's basically an improved version of the stock one.

For that kind of money, you could buy another console and some games. Or even a truly rare and exclusive game, if you're into collecting.

So unless you have very deep pockets or the Jaguar is the only thing you care about in life, it's not going to be worth it.

You mean people care about more than the Jaguar? What is wrong with these people? :o Haha but it is an obscene price fot a controller, thankfully I don't think it's necessary for any games Edited by LianneJaguar64
  • Like 1

I believe someone is planning to build a 6 button alternative. He posts on the "Atari Jaguar Fans" Facebook page, if you scroll down long enough you'll find photos. It's a repurposed (PC?) controller of some sort.

The other option is to build a 6 button arcade controller by butchering a standard Jag controller and soldering wires to the appropriate points on the number-pad (and yes the number pad should still be useful afterward). It could probably be done with $40 - $60 worth of arcade parts and a wooden box / case. I've done it, and I already have two pro-controllers ;)

Edited by skip

Wish I would bought one a year or two back at $140-$160. Now they are $250ish and up????

Kinda like playing the stock market, although the pro-controller may not go down ever....

Anyone want to guess what the price next year?

$325ish -------------> July 4th 2018

$400ish -------------> July 4th 2019

$10k -----------------> July 4th 2020

Edited by Machine

Wish I would bought one a year or two back at $140-$160. Now they are $250ish and up????

Kinda like playing the stock market, although the pro-controller may not go down ever....

Anyone want to guess what the price next year?

$325ish -------------> July 4th 2018

$400ish -------------> July 4th 2019

$10k -----------------> July 4th 2020

Reminds me of this smart fella

I would think there will be a minor flood of them on eBay as the Jagu-fans start to die off.

• Like 2

Its a bit sad ...there are few enough of them that prices are stupid high, but there isn't enough real demand for anyone to build a reproduction or alternative controller.

To the contrary, I'm willing to bet that a good high quality repro or alternative controller would be in high demand. It's not like the Jag is swimming in third party controllers.

I don't think the Jag is swimming in anything ... if there were a market for something like that, surely someone would have tapped it by now?

Outside of a few unconventional variants, including rotaries made from stock Jag controllers, no one has made a serious attempt at a controller. Speaking of which...whatever happened to this guy?